Thread: Guaraná

Guaraná

I came across this curious study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16533867
    A double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-dose evaluation of the acute behavioural effects of guaraná in humans.
    Haskell CF, Kennedy DO, Wesnes KA, Milne AL, Scholey AB.

Human Cognitive Neuroscience Unit, Division of Psychology, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

The present study aimed to systematically assess acute, dose-related behavioural effects of an extract of guaraná plant for the first time in humans. This double-blind, counterbalanced, placebo-controlled study (n=26) assessed the acute mood and cognitive effects throughout the day of four different doses (37.5 mg, 75 mg, 150 mg and 300 mg) of a standardised guaraná extract (PC-102). Assessment included the Cognitive Drug Research computerized test battery and Bond-Lader mood scales. Guaraná improved secondary memory performance and increased alert and content mood ratings. The two lower doses produced more positive cognitive effects than the higher doses. This research supports previous findings of cognitive improvements following 75 mg guaraná and provides the first exploration of different dose effects of guaraná in humans. The findings suggest that the effects cannot be attributed to caffeine alone.

PMID: 16533867 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
    What is guaraná? I first came across this fruit in Brazil when I was in a city called Curitiba. According to Wikipedia, "Guarana features large leaves and clusters of flowers, and is best known for its fruit, which is about the size of a coffee berry. Each fruit harbors one seed which contains approximately five times as much caffeine as coffee beans." (Source). It is popular soft drink in Brazil. I have drunk it a couple of times but must say that I didn't notice any spectacular effects. Well, I may have been too besotted with caffeine to notice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaran%C3%A1_Antarctica
    Guaraná Antarctica is the most popular guarana-flavored soft drink in Brazil, created in 1921 by Companhia Antarctica Paulista, now part of Ambev. The drink is also available in Portugal (competing with Guaraná Brasil brand), Spain, Honduras, and the United States. The drink is produced only in three countries - Portugal, Brazil, and Japan.

It is the official sponsor of the Brazilian national football team. One of its 2006 commercials featured Argentine football player Diego Maradona finding himself wearing the yellow jersey of the Brazilian team and singing the Brazilian national anthem before waking up and proclaiming it was a nightmare. This caused considerable controversy in Argentina.

Another controversial commercial from Guaraná Antarctica was a TV spot showing the guarana berry plantations in the Amazon region while a narrator explained the basics of the process of producing Guaraná Antarctica. By the end of the spot the narrator turns to the audience and says: "Now ask our competitors to show you their plantations...", an indirect attack on Coca-Cola.

Guaraná Antarctica has a caffeine content equivalent to, or more than, most energy drinks. The guarana berry has two to three times the caffeine of a coffee bean.

The drink has made inroads in the U.S. as a result of the energy drink craze. 6-packs are sold in most major cities, though they can be difficult to find. The taste is mild, slightly apple-like, with a distinct berry after-flavor. Several websites sell guarana products to the US. Guaraná Antarctica is by far the most popular form of the drink.

I recently attended a fundraiser that was sponsored by p.i.n.k. vodka - a fairly new vodka that is infused with caffeine and guarana. I didn't notice any additional flavor, nor did I notice any kind of energy buzz. But it was in the middle of the day. I guess it is their attempt to market themselves as a redbull and vodka alternative.
    It is interesting to see all of these new 'natural' supplements cropping up.