Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give this a read and response

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Hah, it was meant in response to this line from Eric “I also agree with his postion that withholding procedures is murder.” I probably instead should have asked; so does this mean that Margolis also is a murder since he objects embryonic stem cell research?

But above that, deep inside there might be a fundamentalist dark side or two (if I ever meet some of them LifeNews.com folks that is)
    so be it.. if you have the capability to save lives and you don't do so in my opinion you are complicit. So many people would be helped if careers and personal goals weren't involved with progress..

So, Dr Young...even though the ban on funding the research will probably be taken care of very soon, the funding will probably not help the actual researchers for several years at best? If we are looking at the funding taking several years, it may be a VERY long time before anything substantial comes to fruitition from any research that is in the pipeline for trials?
    Wouldn't it be nice to see an infusion of funds from sources that have been waiting for a lift of the ban on the esc research? I often wonder if this will happen since there is such a high percentage of Americans wanting the research to go forward.
    Perhaps the private sector will be more inclined to put money into it now?
    If the Geron trials move forward and show good results we can only hope that it would create an explosion of interest and funding. Do you think this is possible?

Although a difficult economical situation for the NIH I believe more funding will force it’s way towards hESC research when the federal funding ban is lifted. This because more scientists will enter the field. This then again might take money from other fields, but then again I guess there is plenty of research that is not top-notch research that can wait or be cancelled. Like making stem cells from balls etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    so be it.. if you have the capability to save lives and you don't do so in my opinion you are complicit. So many people would be helped if careers and personal goals weren't involved with progress..
    Eric. I understand what you are at, but I don’t think I agree with you. I see and know several researchers from over here and I can almost guarantee you that they are not putting themselves as persons ahead of the research; in fact they do the opposite. One had his resigning papers ready to sign a time earlier due to the current ban situation we had on hESC research and the overall negative view the government had on most medical basic research (has changed some now). The researchers are also very open to user organisation and diagnostic groups, like peoples having spinal cord injuries. They invite us to their labs, give lectures at conferences we have, -without hesitation when asked. Of course that is in their interest, but it is also in our interest. Thereby one should team up with researchers and discuss best ways to help for speeding such research and not 'look' for all kinds of ways to distrust the researchers. And by teaming up any suspicion of distrust 'if ever present' will automatically disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    So, Dr Young...even though the ban on funding the research will probably be taken care of very soon, the funding will probably not help the actual researchers for several years at best? If we are looking at the funding taking several years, it may be a VERY long time before anything substantial comes to fruitition from any research that is in the pipeline for trials?
    Wouldn't it be nice to see an infusion of funds from sources that have been waiting for a lift of the ban on the esc research? I often wonder if this will happen since there is such a high percentage of Americans wanting the research to go forward.
    Perhaps the private sector will be more inclined to put money into it now?
    If the Geron trials move forward and show good results we can only hope that it would create an explosion of interest and funding. Do you think this is possible?
    Grammy,

Very good points. Money isn't everything. George W. Bush did a great deal of harm to the industry because they realized that he and other irrational powers could actually stop research in the field and none of the major pharmaceutical companies wanted to be involved in a risky field where a a President and a relatively small minority of misinformed people could stop the research in the field or prevent its application to people for 8 years. So, the fact that we will soon have a President who listens to the people and who has a rational ethical approach to science will be very helpful. That alone will free up the market and investment. Of course, George W. Bush managed (I don't know know how) crash the economy while he is at it and we will not be able to move ahead as fast as we would like on the research. Private sector has little money and there are many priorities other than spinal cord injury.

Several months ago, I decided that I am not going to be swayed by all these gloom and doom. We have had gloom and doom for so long, we just need to move ahead whether the money is available. If we just do it, the money may show up or we may be able to raise the funds. All that I know is that if we don't start now, it will take that much longer. If it turns out that we don't have enough money, at least we will have tried.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Several months ago, I decided that I am not going to be swayed by all these gloom and doom. We have had gloom and doom for so long, we just need to move ahead whether the money is available. If we just do it, the money may show up or we may be able to raise the funds. All that I know is that if we don't start now, it will take that much longer. If it turns out that we don't have enough money, at least we will have tried.

Wise.
    Bravo Wise. Thank you. Keep on forging ahead and we will get there eventually.
    Here's Hoping!

Dr Young...you are so right. Rather than beating your head against a brick wall, you forge ahead with the necessary research and money that is currently at hand. With the lift of the ban on funding, democrats taking the white house, 70% of Americans wanting stem cell research to continue and new exciting discoveries coming to light...you have to admit that the direction is turning now! I see more positive changes in the past few months than I have in the 39 months since my sons accident.

I would see the demands for stem cell therapies increasing along with funding, legislation and private sector investments when the tides change from the Bush era.

It'll take a little time for the dust and the cobwebs to get cleaned off, but the turn will be exciting to watch as America strives to reposition itself as a leader in all fields. We've heard so little from our society in general about the "future". It'll take awhile for the USA to evolve from the time warp we've been so frustrated with...but at last it is starting!
    You're correct in leaving the gloom and doom behind. Evidentally you've
    personally felt the beginning of this shift!

If we just do it, the money may show up or we may be able to raise the funds.
    Wise.
    I have no doubt that money will flow to areas that demonstrate success. We are still a 13+ trillion dollar economy. Yes times are tough, but there's always a ton of money looking for the next blockbuster breakthrough.
    KB

Windpipe Repair

Grammy,

Very good points. Money isn't everything. George W. Bush did a great deal of harm to the industry because they realized that he and other irrational powers could actually stop research in the field and none of the major pharmaceutical companies wanted to be involved in a risky field where a a President and a relatively small minority of misinformed people could stop the research in the field or prevent its application to people for 8 years. So, the fact that we will soon have a President who listens to the people and who has a rational ethical approach to science will be very helpful. That alone will free up the market and investment. Of course, George W. Bush managed (I don't know know how) crash the economy while he is at it and we will not be able to move ahead as fast as we would like on the research. Private sector has little money and there are many priorities other than spinal cord injury.

Wise.
    I have to ask, but did anyone hear on the news last week or see in the New York Times the repair of a woman's windpipe (London) using her own stem cells? The doctor used a cadaver's windpipe to replace the woman's damaged windpipe. I feel confident that this will get the ball rolling to continue on some type of research in the use of a person's own stem cell to heal themselves and possibilities of healing people with SCI.
    Aggie Mom 2007

jhorn4012, I agree... as more things come to light it seems there are more doctors stepping up to the plate and working on remarkable things. Just this past year Kevin Everett was treated with an experimental procedure that cooled the spinal cord to help stop the cascade of destruction that happens with a tramatic injury. We'll get the ball rolling in a more positive direction as soon as the presidential ban has been lifted, legislation is in place and funding isn't being held back for obvious reasons. I only hope the changes will take place soon.