Thread: New Mattresses, Travel with a Mattress

New Mattresses, Travel with a Mattress

My injury is C5/C6 incomplete and I was injured 11 years ago. Since 1997 I have used an alternating pressure air mattress at home so I do not need to be turned every two hours. I was wondering, however, if there is a mattress out there now that does not use alternating pressure and would still protect my skin as well as the alternating pressure mattress does without having to be turned every two hours.

I was also wondering if there is a portable mattress out there that I could travel with that would protect my skin without having to be turned every two hours. Thanks.

Would a 'memory foam' mattress top work? I will travel with one of these if we go by car...... to a motel
    jon

As you get older, it will become more and more important to turn. Young skin is more forgiving. There is really no mattress or overlay that will prevent pressure ulcers without turning...even a Clinitron. You also need to turn for good drainage of lung secretions. An alternating pressure overlay is a poor substitute for turning. You can take that with you when you travel, or use a good quality foam or static air-filled overlay, but these really still require turning.

If you learn to prone, you can prone all night without turning if you are properly bridged with pillows. Try it.

(KLD)

What can a quad do while prone if he doesn't sleep? At least I can turn on a radio on my back on the turning mattress.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

How does one sleep prone?

Prone means sleeping on your stomach (as opposed to supine, which means sleeping on your back). If you properly use pillows or foam blocks to "bridge" your bony areas on the front of your body (feet, knees and pelvis) and (for males) your genitals, you can sleep this way all night without having to turn. Generally people have to gradually build up to doing this all night, and of course you may have to turn if you have to cath during the night.

(KLD)

When I travel I always bring my sheepskin pad. I went to PETCO a few years ago and bought a 30" X 60" synthetic sheepskin pad for our cat.....he never used it. So I cut it into three 20" X 30" pads and I use it when we travel. I only need it under my hips/tailbone area and it has served me very well. I still turn at night when I can. I pack it around my NUPRODX travel commode to help protect the padded seat from any damage. I have also brought it with me into the hospital to use during any overnight stays. If it gets soiled or cruddy just toss it out. I also use any extra pillows to elevate my feet and keep my heels off the bed.

http://www.petco.com/product/6645/La...skin-Pads.aspx

I have no one to turn me, or I could turn from side to side overnight.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.