Thread: after recovery

after recovery

I have a question regarding what a recovery really means. Lets say someone recovers the ability to walk after two years of being wheelchair bound. Once on his or her feet, will bowel and bladder return? Will sexual function for a man return? Once the muscles start to become like before an injury and work, will that trigger and instigate other body functions to return and work properly?
    I know every injury is different but on the whole is it fair to say that once someone is walking again and using those muscles, other body functions will follow?
    Thanks.

The short answer to your question is, no.
    Each organ has its own nerve supply and it does not follow that if you have enough motor function to walk that it will effect your bladder, bowel, sexual function, etc.

I agree with Arndog, Each of the muscle groups and functions are control by diiferent nerves. If you are walking that is great.

Return is highly individual. You can get back one function or sensation and not another. There is no way to predict which ones will come back and which will not. Only time will tell. It will take at least 24-36 months to know what you will get back, but remember that even Christopher Reeve got back a small amount of movement 10 years after injury.

As far as sexual functioning, there is still a lot available if you are willing to try somethings different and work with a good counselor to learn about your options.

(KLD)

What is recovery, every little tiny bit better than yesterday

One guy i was in rehab with was an incomplete and could walk a little and got his bowels and bladder and sexual function back, another guy incomplete as well could walk almost perfect almost year after not a trace of bowel or bladder or sexual back.

every injurys so different, no way to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz1989 View Post
    One guy i was in rehab with was an incomplete and could walk a little and got his bowels and bladder and sexual function back, another guy incomplete as well could walk almost perfect almost year after not a trace of bowel or bladder or sexual back.

every injurys so different, no way to tell.

Exactly, My bowels came back pretty quick...bladder took awhile and legs took a long while....mine's kinda weird because I have both bowel and bladder weakness, meaning....when I gotta go...better find a restroom quick!