Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Women Only Forum

WT, it isn't about exclusion. It's about the intimacy of the issues unique to women, and the freedom to learn from one another. Many people with sci are shy and don't post, but this will allow those women who are reticent to commiserate with others to the benefit of all concerned. They need such a forum because imo sci is much more difficult for women due to their biological structures (aka their plumbin )

I see no problem with this forum, I think it's a good idea.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Sorry you feel so excluded, but you really aren;t missing much, unless like addiesue said, you want to know how to keep a pad from slipping, or or whether you get diarrhea during your period. (Well, do you have an answer for that?). Excluding you is n;t punishment, we have tried to deal with the kibbitzers in the main forum, it didn;t work, so we went into the other room and shut the door. Just like in real life I guess. Its issues that don;t get discussed in "mixed company". That may not be the way that it SHOULD be, be since it seems to be the only way that works, I am for one glad it does.

But I really think you are just reading too much into this.

btw, You say we are taking the gradeschool method of dealing with the problem. Perhaps it is because the gradeschool mentality of A FEW members has triggered this. But in 5th grade, when they showed the girls a different film that the boys? It was about the female body, and menstruation. You didn;t miss much then either.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    WT, it isn't about exclusion. It's about the intimacy of the issues unique to women, and the freedom to learn from one another. Many people with sci are shy and don't post, but this will allow those women who are reticent to commiserate with others to the benefit of all concerned. They need such a forum because imo sci is much more difficult for women due to their biological structures (aka their plumbin )

I see no problem with this forum, I think it's a good idea.
    Thanks rdf ..... You get it exactly!
    Last edited by sjean423; 12-11-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I prefer the privacy of the womans forum. Previously, I used a different screen name, now I don't need to.

Only approximately 25% of all SCI are women. I was injured for 10 years before I met another woman with a spinal cord injury. As isolating as SCI can be, try falling into that small minority. For years I thought many issues were unique to me, now I find that they are common. I am thankful that now I can finally post, ask questions and get answers.

RDF, thanks for getting it.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Titan,

The Women Only forum was a long time coming. Wise decided that it was the right move to make, as did I, and that is why the Women Only forum exists.

I'll address your other claims after lunch. Just know that feminism didn't beget the forum, male chauvinism did.

Before I leave, I would be interested to know how you feel that forum could help you. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks,

Steven
    Is it possible to clone you? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    I prefer the privacy of the womans forum. Previously, I used a different screen name, now I don't need to.

Only approximately 25% of all SCI are women. I was injured for 10 years before I met another woman with a spinal cord injury. As isolating as SCI can be, try falling into that small minority. For years I thought many issues were unique to me, now I find that they are common. I am thankful that now I can finally post, ask questions and get answers.

RDF, thanks for getting it.

This isolation is all too common for women with SCI. It's true, in the SCI community, we are outnumbered almost 4 to 1. We are a minority within a minority. Research has shown that women have a whole host of disability-related issues to cope with that men do not have. We need our own space to discuss these issues openly and honestly without the intrusion of voyeurs who can't handle mature discussions about delicate issues.
    Last edited by Danine; 12-11-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Is there a seperate forum? or am I on it? I tried clicking on emi's post SCI unique issues andgot a message i wasn't allowed
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

It is, Liz. You have access now.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Just know that feminism didn't beget the forum, male chauvinism did.
    Thanks for saying this Steven ... I'm sorry everyone, but I believe the above to be so true! OJ provides a perfect scenario where many men ask sexual questions and are never ridiculed by the females, but it doesn't work the other way around. I guess it takes a few to ruin it for all.

I'm excited that we have an exclusive forum .. and sorry guys, but females just don't get our share of research pie when it comes to our specific issues.

That forum is thriving!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Access

How do I gain access to the forum? I'm not even able to view topics!

- Monique M.

I thought it was supposed to be automatic if you profile includes female gender, but I will alert Steven Edwards and he can let you into the Women's Only forum. You could also PM him (he is our webmaster). You won't be able to see the forum at all, including the list of topics or any responses until admitted.

(KLD)