Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Started doing wifes bp

Dizzal,

Keep in contact here. Those first few weeks will be the hardest and then everything seems to become matter of fact. Of couse things will still be hard but not as scary. I second what Betheny said about your wife doing her own BP if possible. From the spouse standpoint, I was willing to do it at first but then it did make it very hard to get out of the nurse/patient mode after doing that. I think sometimes I still have issues with that and I haven't done BP in over a year now.

Stay strong and know we are here for you.

Kelly

Oh my! Coming home is always so bittersweet after these types of injuries. Much love and compassion to both of you during this trying time. The emotions are going to be difficult, but adaption does come in time.

You're a good man, dizzal. A role model for loving husbands everywhere. Sorry about your wife's injury, and I wish you both the best of luck. It'll get easier, just like everything does with repetition.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I and my wife (c6/7) have been on this journey since 89

there are few things you have to get straight first to be the person she needs........

first, love is a decision, you need to establish that you will make this decision no matter what (good or bad)
    second, no matter what is thrown at you there is help, here, family or friends (even though most will never have a clue of what you are going through)

third, be positive take a positive stance, she will need your strength in a new world of hopelessness

fourth, research, read all you can, don't take doctor's or nurse's opinions, look for second opinions, and those who have been through the fire....

fifth (put on flame suit) find God.... hook into the one true God, not the gloom and doom one so many preach of, but the truth that you can set your anchor to, and know that no matter how tough it gets you are hooked into the higher power and muck and mire can't hold you back....

my wife and I have (since 89) bought several houses, been married, she has carried & given birth to two wonder boys......we have lived on the east coast, west coast and traveled in between......... in the end it will be a journey that has put us at the top, and bottom but not a moment would I give up, cause we did it together............

feel free to hit me up with anything I can help you with

there are many good sources here---(check their post to see their fruit)

I will pray that God keep you and give you wisdom and strengh

jeff

I am hoping she will be able to do it on her own someday also betheny. Madmadmother yeah im a lil scared because she has not been in the home since her sci. So its going to be alot diffrent trying to figure out what to move around the home so that she can get around. Lawd i have no idea what pills she is taking and she comes home tomorrow.

I would like to thank you all for all the support i have gotten and will get in the future. I dont know how i would have handled this without finding this site ty all.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzal View Post
    I am hoping she will be able to do it on her own someday also betheny. Madmadmother yeah im a lil scared because she has not been in the home since her sci. So its going to be alot diffrent trying to figure out what to move around the home so that she can get around. Lawd i have no idea what pills she is taking and she comes home tomorrow.
    You're a good man dizzal. You'll figure it out.
    Will she get home health care too?
    you're welcome

Mona im hope she do we will find out today before discharge.

Dizzal, how are things going?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Your initial post seems to be asking how to check for potential skin breakdown in your wife. If you are of African-American ethnicity (as your picture suggests), you have a very good point in being concerned. Non-blanching redness on intact skin, which is the first sign of an early pressure sore in a Caucasian , will not be visible. More African Americans present with a higher stage sore for exactly this reason. Prevention by turning, moisture barriers and pressure relief will be important.