Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Mobile Women Forum

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Cheesecake - thank you for understanding. No I was not trying to keep any one in particular out. Just merely offering a suggestion.
    It was a good suggestion but I fear people would think it was a popularity contest or something. It is how we approve mods ;-)
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    As I recall, the minimum amount of posts was originally 30 and or contact with a female moderator for approval.

Our desire is not to intentionally exclude anyone except MALE members. If you have a female medical issue, you can always contact one of the female nurses like KLD. The Women's Forum is not a place for a popularity vote to allow admission--voting to admit a member could be too divisive.
    I do understand however your suggestion MSWIFE and don't think you were trying to keep anyone out, you just want some assusrances.

If you are Looking for a safe forum to post in, Life and new SCI as well as Care are good places to start.

Wise, perhaps we can visit this in the Moderators Forum and come up with clear guidelines. Once they are decided upon, we can post them here in a sticky.
    It was only 4 posts originally. I always thought it would be easy to make 4 posts and say you are female.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...8&postcount=10
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

The multi-gendered impostor we just saw has me goosey too. I would like to have some sense of the poster...profiles for sure. I know we don't want to be exclusionary. When I remember why this forum was created, that makes me doubly goosey. It was intended to be a place for women to discuss without rude interruptions, which were happening frequently and usually male driven. It's nice to think we aren't entertainment/titillation fodder but maybe that's pie-in-the-sky thinking.

Maybe a posting minimum, profile filled out and female moderator approval would be sufficient. We could ask for 75, since the pretty blond (sorry, forgot your name, you don't post enough! lol) has 89 and I'm certainly comfortable with her.

Does the Caregiver's private forum have any sort of guidelines we could refer to?

Thanks for your help, Wise. You're a jewel!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    We could ask for 75, since the pretty blond (sorry, forgot your name, you don't post enough! lol) has 89 and I'm certainly comfortable with her.
    I think this is me?! Thank you.

Yeah, you! The pretty blond in the wheelchair! LOL

People usually get all exercised about filling out a profile, but anyone trying to scam their way in would certainly fill out a profile, so I think that while we should require profiles to be filled out for entrance to at least this forum, its fairly useless as a bullshit detector.

I like the 100 posts idea with current members grandfathered in ... except those with basically no posts. Delete them, that weirds me out too. Or, if a current member here in "good standing" can personally vouch for another person with less than 100 posts who wants to join.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    People usually get all exercised about filling out a profile, but anyone trying to scam their way in would certainly fill out a profile, so I think that while we should require profiles to be filled out for entrance to at least this forum, its fairly useless as a bullshit detector.
    Exactly. Pretty much every faker/scammer that has been exposed on CareCure has had their profile filled out, with lies.

I don't understand why so many seem to think a profile being filled out helps identify whether someone's on the up-and-up or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Exactly. Pretty much every faker/scammer that has been exposed on CareCure has had their profile filled out, with lies.

I don't understand why so many seem to think a profile being filled out helps identify whether someone's on the up-and-up or not.
    Well at least you can verify they lied if caught not on the up & up. kwim?
    Otherwise they can say, I didn't say that.
    I'd like to think 99% do tell the truth.

Btw my seem like I'm harping but does the poster with no profile & her original post asking permission in (briddellm), that was approved, still have entrance in to the women's form? Have they even came back? Still says 1 post.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post

Scorpion, I agree with you that a profile being filled out only means that the member has filled it out with whatever they want us to know or think about them. On the other hand, wasn't a part of the many inconsistencies found in "Annie" was her posted date of birth and then another post that contradicted that? Someone (not me) was sharp to pick that up, so it helped at least a little.

Mona & Eileen - It's true that in the case with MarkPals, et al, her profile helped point to inconsistencies that eventually would expose her for a fake. But looking at a filled-out profile doesn't tell you anything about someone's validity. Plenty of people looked at MarkPal's profile and took it as true, so it didn't help most members see anything suspicious. I only compared MarkPals' profile to his[her] posts after I noticed something suspicious in the posts themselves; the profile alone didn't point to any falsehood, and it rarely will.

And a better liar would simply make sure their posts matched the lies in their profile. So this notion some people have that says "hey, their profile's blank or doesn't tell us their level of injury so they're fishy" is baseless.

A filled-out profile is only really helpful when someone asks a functional question and neglects to mention their functional SCI level in the post or if it's a gender specific question and they neglect to mention their gender.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the CareCure women should vet those who ask to have access to the Women's Only forum. It seems so easy for a guy to pose as a woman online. And the first thing a guy would do in order to do that is say he's "Female" in his profile.