Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good deer meat recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    ewwweeey... yucky poo. I've tried that. I nearly slapped the dink-hole that offered me some. It was one of my friends that brought some when we were out hunting back in the day. It was in a jar. I think it was boiled/cooked right in the jar. So nasty. I bet that deer turds taste better.
    Dave, come on man, you're a hunter. That's THE best part of a deer without question. Sweet meat is the inside tenderloins from a deer and the most tender. Absolutely wonderful on the grill.

Not sure how your buddies did it, but if you didn't like it, they didn't do it right.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Dave, come on man, you're a hunter. That's THE best part of a deer without question. Sweet meat is the inside tenderloins from a deer and the most tender. Absolutely wonderful on the grill.

Not sure how your buddies did it, but if you didn't like it, they didn't do it right.
    Oh it was bad. lol.

I almost called the cops, I swear. Whatever animal it was that went in the jar before being cooked must have been ashamed of what it had become. I'm certain.

I'm sure the animal would have been much prouder had it been roasted on the grill.

Beware of unmarked meat jars.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Oh it was bad. lol.

I almost called the cops, I swear. Whatever animal it was that went in the jar before being cooked must have been ashamed of what it had become. I'm certain.

I'm sure the animal would have been much prouder had it been roasted on the grill.

Beware of unmarked meat jars.
    eewwww, that sounds more like Street-Meat(ie: roadkill) than Sweet-Meat.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I have some back strap to cook someone brought me. What is a good marinade that's not too hot or spicy. I'm looking for something to add just a little flavor.

Heath, I usually just marinade it in red wine, (saving a couple glasses for me) and garlic. People often put too much stuff in there and it messes with the taste of the meat.

Cut it across the loin in strips 3/8" thick, and cook it in bacon grease or olive oil. You can bread it in flour if you like but I prefer it without. DO NOT overcook it. Just a couple minutes on each side and it's done.

A friend I hunted with last weekend just sent me this. He swears it's the best thing ever.

BUL-GO-GI
    Korean Fire Venison

1 ½ to 2 pounds venison (Tenderloin is best but any good cut will do)
    ( Can also be made with Chicken, Pork or Beef)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium onion or 3 green onions, chopped
    *½ hot red pepper, finely chopped or generous dash of tabasco sauce (Optional)
    ¼ cup Oriental sesame oil
    ½ cup soy sauce
    ½ cup Lea and Perrins (any other is OK) Worcestershire sauce
    *3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
    Combine the above as a marinade.

Cut meat into bacon thin slices. (Best to do when meat is frozen but slightly thawed) Place into a deep glass dish, pour marinade over and let stand refrigerated for 3 or 4 hours. (We have let it marinade for 2 or 3 days!! If refrigerated it is great!!).

Outdoors:
    Place meat on a fine mesh grill over hot coals. (Coals should be glowing). Brush frequently with the marinade sauce. Grill uncovered 4 to 5 minutes or until meat starts to stiffen. Turn and brush again. Meat is medium rare when the color turns chocolate brown. DO NOT OVERCOOK!! (However if you do, carefully let it dry out and it makes a good “Jerky”)

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
    I don't want to seem too minimalist but Mr. Yoshita's marinated over night and cooked on an open pit fire..........MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

http://www.mryoshidas.com/

You can also pick it up at Costco by the Half Gallon!

Hey dead eye, I gotta relate this story to ya. When I got my 5X6 bull elk 5 yrs ago, we hauled it home(skinned in the field, and hung to cool) , we do our own cutting. I ended up with meat once from a shop I knew wasn't mine. We have a friend who owned an old country style butcher shop, so we call him, cause that's a bit bigger job than a whitetail. he's cuttin' and stackin' and seperatin', I'm wrapping and boneing when I can, and all of a sudden he goes well, hows that look for a tenderloin? HOOOLLLYY crap, I turned around, there laid a slab, or rather a round slab of meat, 6-8" in diameter and around 4 ft long. Thoughts of icredible meals ran thru my mind. Wow, cut into 2" thick medallions, slight dust of flour, little garlic, olive oil, hot cast iron skillet, 3 min ea side. Died and gone to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy View Post
    .. hows that look for a tenderloin? HOOOLLLYY crap, I turned around, there laid a slab, or rather a round slab of meat, 6-8" in diameter and around 4 ft long. Thoughts of icredible meals ran thru my mind. Wow, cut into 2" thick medallions, slight dust of flour, little garlic, olive oil, hot cast iron skillet, 3 min ea side. Died and gone to heaven.
    Now THAT is a tenderloin. I bet it was awesome. I'd love to lay my 7mag or 300 out on a big ol' bull.