Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good deer meat recipes?

I have a friend in Texas who has a smokehouse on their ranch and they make the best venison sausage. I'd try smokin some of the meat.

Joe

my bro put this recipe together. he likes it hot. Helps cover the gaminess

venison chile

1-2 lbs ground venison
    3 thick-cut slices bacon
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 can pinto beans with liquid
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 small bell pepper (green or red), chopped
    2 fresh jalapeno chiles, chopped
    2 canned chipotle chiles, chopped
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 T cumin seed
    1/2 tsp coriander seed
    1 bottle of beer
    beef stock or canned broth or water
    salt and pepper
    Some chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
    Some grated cheddar or jack cheese, if desired
    2 T masa harina (corn meal can be substituted)

Chop bacon into small pieces. Place in the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven or other large pot. Brown over medium high flame.

Add venison, brown thoroughly, separating it into small pieces as it cooks. When it is mostly browned, add onions and chopped bell and jalapeno peppers. Cook until the onion is soft.

Deglaze pan with beer. Add canned beans and canned tomatoes. Add chipotles, chili powder, coriander. Add enough broth, stock, or water to cover ingredients with liquid.

Heat just to boiling and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered until vegetables lose their distinct character. If it starts getting too dry, add stock or water, and/or cover pot.

Before serving, thicken with masa or corn meal. (I don't really know how much it takes--until it looks right.) Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and/or grated cheese.

Serve with warm corn tortillas or fresh corn bread.

The capsacin load in this recipe is pretty high. Obviously, you can reduce it to taste. You might want to start out with only some of the chile ingredients, taste it after it's cooked for a while and then add more. Try to find the chipotles if you can--they add some smoky campfire taste. If you can't find them, make sure to use smoky bacon and add some more hot stuff (cayenne pepper or another jalapeno, e.g.) to make up for the absence of the chipotles.

Don't think I've left anything out.

Oh yeah, add the cumin when you add the chipotles and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    I loved hunting it but hated eating it. So I always had it made into jerky and pepperoni. Any cuts I kept were saturated in spices. And I liked frying it with olive oil because it dried out quickly otherwise.

So, what did he get get? Bucks.. Doe's? How big?

He got a buck -8 pointer around 120lbs and a doe around 95lbs. We don't have many really big deer around here. We now have a law that for every buck you kill you must kill a doe next.

I love the jerky too!He didn't get any made up though this time. I've usually stayed away from eating it, but thought I'd try it in some different dishes. He cooked up "sweet meat"? yesterday and he thought it was awesome. I gagged.

Fishinguy, they were cornfed whitetails.

"to buzzed to talk much more so will chat later" -d, you damn drunkNo, j/k.... yea, it's time to chat

Dustin belongs to the North American Hunt club and he'll pulled out two of their good recipe books this weekend. We haven't tried any yet, but I'll post recipes if they're good.

Thanks for another good recipe Wesley, it's def. time for some good ole' chili. I know we will try that one!

M22. We will have to borrow a smoker. He had some Kielbalsa(?) made up and that would probably rock oince it was smoked!
    Last edited by quad79; 11-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.

I want to go to a tailgate party with Wesley, even if he is a Philly fan.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by quad79
    He cooked up "sweet meat"? yesterday and he thought it was awesome. I gagged.
    ewwweeey... yucky poo. I've tried that. I nearly slapped the dink-hole that offered me some. It was one of my friends that brought some when we were out hunting back in the day. It was in a jar. I think it was boiled/cooked right in the jar. So nasty. I bet that deer turds taste better.

My family LOVES venison!!!

I usually just cut it up into bite size pieces, fry it in real butter and sprinkle it with some Lawry's seasoning salt.

We also have some ground up and you can use that instead of hamburger in anything. I put dry ranch dressing and cheese in with the ground venison and that makes a great burger.
    Mom to Heather, age 16, T-12, 8 years post & Michael, age 19.

you can buy a jerky shooter and use ground beef or venison and a dehydrator and make up some good jerky that way to. but the best is with a cold smoker and using strips from the flank.

I turn mine into summer sausage and country sausage (large link type). Mix the venison 60/40 with pork Boston Butts along with some store bought seasonings that are available either at some of the local butcher shops or online. However my favorites are made from the old German family secret recipes that are popular in my neck of the woods. I have my own meat grinder and sausage stuffer so making my own creations is no big deal

This year I am going to try to make venison bacon this year here is the recipe for it

Day 1:
    - use 50 – (approx. 12.5 lbs) venison to 50 – (approx. 12.5 lbs.) 80/20 pork/fat.
    - I grind these through the grinder once using a coarse grinder plate, and then do a thorough mix of the meats and then grind one more time through the grinder using a fine grinder plate.
    - Then in a tub, I add the seasoning to the mix, cure, and an ounce of flavor booster and 4 cups of water. This stuff is sticky, reminds me of the perfect meat glue…… The seasoning and flavor booster is a premix that I order from Curley’s Sausage Kitchen online. Then I pack the seasoned meats into tin foil loaf pans (about 2 inches thick, about the width of a slice of bacon) for the meat to set up over night in the refrigerator and firm up. When setting in the fridge, make sure meat is well covered. I use wax paper and set pans on top of each other and will pack 4 or 5 high.

Day 2:
    - Place meat pan upside down onto your smoking racks and gently remove the meat mixture onto your smoking racks. (This is the point why I like to use tinfoil pans. The consistency of the mixture is very sticky and bending the pans to get the meat loaf mixture out in one piece is easier with a tinfoil pan.)
    - I put it in the smoker at 130 degree’s for an hour with no smoke and damper wide open for drying purposes.
    - Then add smoke and move up to 160 degree’s for 2 hours with the damper half open.
    - Then I remove the smoke and move up to 180 degree for about 4 more hours. I remove it from the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 155 degree’s. I have moved up to 200 degree’s with no problems if getting the internal temperature of 155 is taking too long.
    - Take out and let meat cool, then I bag the meat loafs separately and again, refrigerate over night.
    Last edited by nevada; 11-25-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling

For some of the larger cuts you might want to slow cook try to marinate them in a balsamic vinegar/olive oil mix with some crushed black pepper. Oh, in the fridge overnight is best. Drain and turn it into a normal roast/pot roast in the oven or slow cooker. The marinade also helps with other cuts if the meat is really on the wild side--marinade, drain, rinse, grind for hamburgers, etc. And you don't need an expensive/fancy balsamic vinegar for this unless you add fresh to the roast instead of red wine or stock.

And they think cheeseheads only eat brats.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

if you have ground deer meat, try putting it into some hamburger helper. It always tastes great that way.
    -Enjoy life, you only live once.
    Marketing & Advertising Sites Directory