Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good deer meat recipes?

Good deer meat recipes?

Dustin just got two and we have a freezer full on the way.What's the trick to taking the wild taste away?I've heard to soak it in salt.Any good tips or recipes out there?

I like this recipe. Only problem is it's not quick. It's good for covering up gaminess, though I have a tendency to keep only does these days because I really don't like strong flavored venison. Make sure to cut out all the white connective membranes. They don't cook down like beef.

Venison Stew

2 lb. lean venison, cut into 2-inch cubes
    2 oz. (1/4 cup) butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    3 medium-sized carrots, scraped and quartered
    1 small turnip, peeled and roughly chopped
    8 oz. small onions, peeled
    3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and halved
    14 oz. canned peeled tomatoes
    3 tablespoons tomato puree

MARINADE
    12 fl. oz. (1 ½ cups) red wine
    8 fl. oz. beef stock
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    8 black peppercorns
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    Bouquet garni consisting of 4 parsley sprigs, 1 thyme spray, and 1 bay leaf tied together

In a large shallow dish, combine all the marinade ingredients. Add the venison cubes and mix well. Set aside and marinade the meat at room temperature for at least 12 hours, basting it from time to time.
    Remove the meat from the marinade and dry it on paper towels. Reserve the marinade.
    In a large flameproof casserole, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam subsides, add the meat cubes and cook, stirring and turning occasionally for 8 minutes or until the cubes are lightly and evenly brown. Add the reserve marinade, the salt, pepper and rosemary and stir well. Bring the liquid to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
    Add the carrots, turnip, onions, potatoes, tomatoes with the can juice and the tomato puree and stir thoroughly to blend.
    Re-cover the casserole and continue to simmer the stew for a further 1 hour or until the meat is tender when pierced with the point of a sharp knife.
    Remove the casserole from the heat and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Serve at once. 4 servings

-from The Best of Supercook / Soups and Stews , published by Marshall Cavendish, 1976
    Last edited by Wesley; 11-15-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Agree with Wes. Stew is the only way to go, and boy is it good.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Try www.hidetanning.net/venisonDeerMeatrecipes.html

I made the Stroganoff last year when a neighbor brought me some of his deer meat. Cream of mushroom soup will snuff the game taste.

Thanks for the recipe Wesley. It sure is a great time for stew.I had wondered about the bucks tasting different, figured so.

Cmoore, thanks for the link and the soup trick.I've had deer meat once and that wild taste did me in.yuck.

I loved hunting it but hated eating it. So I always had it made into jerky and pepperoni. Any cuts I kept were saturated in spices. And I liked frying it with olive oil because it dried out quickly otherwise.

So, what did he get get? Bucks.. Doe's? How big?

fix it up as you would regular burger like in chili or scetty and even goolash you can't tell the difference. I love to have deer loins they are the tenderest part, I pound them out like a regular loin and bread them fried up southern style with mashed taters and gravy!! good eats there girl.

we will chat later for more home cooking tips...haha...

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Dustin just got two and we have a freezer full on the way.What's the trick to taking the wild taste away?I've heard to soak it in salt.Any good tips or recipes out there?
    you need to talk with me on back woods cookin'

what does the deer feed on in your area? here it is corn and there is no real game taste, the trick is to keep all deer fat and deer marrow out of it. (marrow being the bone) keep it as lean as posible. stews are great also.
    to buzzed to talk much more so will chat later

Wild or gamey taste depends on the species of deer, and what they eat. Mule deer are browsers-wil eat damn near anything green, brown or whatever, green new fir growth, buckbrush, sage. Whitetail on the other hand are grazers, Grass, wheat, corn, (out here in wa anyway, now those that eat acorns back east, i'm not sure of.)
    My wife won't eat mulies, except in a stew, she loves venison stew. Whitetail she absolutely loves chicken fried, hot fast so it stays tender. Even blew the whittail past father in law, thot we had veal, wifes a good chicken fryer.
    So I hope you have a freezer full of whittail. Good luck.
    Now if'n ya want some volume ELK is the way to go. Back before the SCI,My oldest and I started elk hunting in 1990 and learned fast and good, our record between us was 10 elk tween 90 and 2005, my last yr hunting, We found ourselves a liddle ole' honey hole,and got 8 of them within 200 yds of each other. Talk about good eating, except the big guys,(5X6 and 6X6) toughies, and gamier than others, but HUGE Filet mignon's.
    Last edited by fishin'guy; 11-16-2008 at 09:23 AM.

I Just LOVE DEER STEAKS Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........