Thread: MP4 Format

MP4 Format

A friend gave me a MP4 movie file which I tried to make into a DVD. I was using Nero 8 to handle the burn and I got a message that the burn could not be completed because the file was a pirated movie. I tried to burn a DVD using a avi file an got the same message. Is it true that the new recording software is now programmed to disable burning DVD's on downloaded movies even if they have been legally downloaded?
    mike

If you are using Windows Vista, the problem is the DRM scheme known as 'Protected Media Path'. It prevents 'unsigned' (read: not approved by Microsoft) software from accessing DRM enabled content.

The solution is to not support proprietary operating systems like Windows and Macintosh. By voting with your purchases to allow software vendors to dictate what you can, and cannot do with your own computer, you give tacit approval of such 'restrictions'.

In Linux you can re-author the video file to DVD format with all DRM removed, and burn it to a DVD disc

JD

I am using Windows XP Pro. You make another good point for not buying Vista.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    A friend gave me a MP4 movie file which I tried to make into a DVD. I was using Nero 8 to handle the burn and I got a message that the burn could not be completed because the file was a pirated movie. I tried to burn a DVD using a avi file an got the same message. Is it true that the new recording software is now programmed to disable burning DVD's on downloaded movies even if they have been legally downloaded?
    use Nero 7 it has no copyright problem..