Thread: Pluripotent stem cells from human testes

Pluripotent stem cells from human testes

http://www.cloningresources.com/rese...ut_embryos.asp

Scientists create stem cells without embryos (10/11/2008)
    Tags:
    pluripotency, stem cells, sperm precursor cells

Researchers from the Wolfson CARD Laboratory at King's are working in collaboration with the University of Tübingen, Germany on a study, published in Nature this week, to show that pluripotent human stem cells can be generated without requiring human embryos

The generation of human embryonic-like stem cells from biopsies of the adult male testes may however provide simple and non-controversial access, not currently available to individual cell-based therapy, without the ethical and immunological problems associated with using human embryonic stem cells.

Dr Stephen Minger, Head of the Stem Cell Biology Laboratory who led the research at King's comments on the finding: 'The work by the group from Tubingen is really outstanding. They have managed to generate cells that mimic embryonic stem cells in every way that we examined.'

The research project, which involved scientists from King's used 22 different samples taken either from biopsies or from medical castrations. From these, they extracted a type of cell called the 'sperm precursor cell' - a type of adult stem cell with a fixed role - to become a sperm cell. These were then manipulated chemically in the laboratory into a state more similar to cells found in the embryo, which can go on to produce all the cell types in the body.

<more>

I understand that research to make pluripotent human stem cells which can be generated without requiring human embryos might be a good thing for Germany. But what the heck is Dr Stephen Minger into? Why does he need to do this research? Has King’s College in London now all of a sudden so much money that they can do research on all kinds of things? Dr Minger don’t need this, in Britain it is quite leagal to do hESC research, and if Dr Minger wanted he could have started long time ago to find cures. What is he up to?

Dr Minger explains: 'Although the cells seem to have many if not all the properties of embryonic stem cells there is still a considerable amount of work that need to be done particularly in terms of differentiating these cells and testing them in animal models of disease.'
    And this? For this considerable amount of work. Does he plan to waste King’s money on that too?

Leif, the reason is because cloning of human cells is difficult and Minger wanted to have an earlier source of cells. His choices are relatively limited. He can work on cloning of human embryonic stem cells, induced pluripotent stem cells, or isolating a pluripotent adult stem cell. I don't know but Minger may have decided that the last may be the easiest and the most likely to be successful approach.

Wise.

I personally think Minger should reassign or do something else if he continues on this path of research. I understand the importance of free-basic science, but this bites it. Spending King’s money in this recession on this research? But hopefully, the world’s recession will force more cures due to this abnormal out of touch stupid research spending money will halt. -Not a peep comment from the Brits here?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I personally think Minger should reassign or do something else if he continues on this path of research. I understand the importance of free-basic science, but this bites it. Spending King’s money in this recession on this research? But hopefully, the world’s recession will force more cures due to this abnormal out of touch stupid research spending money will halt. -Not a peep comment from the Brits here?
    Leif, I don't understand your point. Why are you calling this research "stupid". Wise.

Wise. First, sorry for some of my wording on this research and late reply, but it is kind of frustrating. Given the bad economy at many universities even at King’s I am just questioning Mingers participating in research on male testes to create pluripotent human stem cells when England has liberal laws allowing hESC research and already have pluripotent human stem cells from hESC blastocysts they can study to bring forward cures. Why can’t he work on what they have which is the gold standard and go from there? Why does he need to be involved in research as in the article on top here? I don’t understand this if it is cures one is interested in. And since it is a medical college he is working at, for finding cures, I am puzzled about this. -Is it allowed to call it waste of precious time and money?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    . -Is it allowed to call it waste of precious time and money?
    Excuse, Wise. Waste, no, questionable application, yes. Your logic holds.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane