Thread: Care of an Amazon-Kindle after dunking in bathtub

Care of an Amazon-Kindle after dunking in bathtub

A couple of days ago, I accidentally dunked part of my Kindle into a bathtub. The device froze. I could not find any information on internet and thought that I had to buy a new one. Here is how I managed to get it to work. It seems to me that this must be a fairly common problem and thought that I would post my experience.

1. I placed the Kindle on a towel, removed the battery, shook as much of the water out as possible, and placed it in front of an air conditioner to facilitate drying. The screen continued to show the Amazon Kindle log but the side bar (silver) did not show any activity. This is with no battery and the power turned off.

2. After several hours, I put the battery back in, turned the power back on. The device started to reboot but stopped about a third of the way (as indicated by the silver side bar indicator). I pressed the reset button (in the back next to the battery. The device booted to show the list of books but it could not open any of the books. I turned the power off. The screen blanked.

3. I waited until the next monring, when everything should have been dry. When I turned the power on, the Amazon Kindle logo showed on the screen but the booting did not continue. It then sat there unresponsive to everything that I did. I took the battery out and put it back in, pressed the reset button, and pressed all the buttons on device. The Amazon Kindle logo continued to show but there was no activity. I thought that it was dead.

4. On the hypothesis that perhaps the battery had been exhausted, I plugged the charger in. To my surprise, as soon as I plugged in the charger, the device rebooted and everything was normal. In addition, the Kindle had downloaded all my newspapers.

So, there is life for a Kindle after a dunk in the bathtub. I think that I was lucky.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    So, there is life for a Kindle after a dunk in the bathtub. I think that I was lucky.

Wise.
    Totally! I'm glad everything worked out; it's an expensive investment.

Wise,
    How do you like the Kindle? I have wanted to get it for my wife, to eliminate the mountain of books at her bedside and also for me to get the WSJ in bed in the am. How is reading newspapers without pictures. That is my question...
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Wise,
    How do you like the Kindle? I have wanted to get it for my wife, to eliminate the mountain of books at her bedside and also for me to get the WSJ in bed in the am. How is reading newspapers without pictures. That is my question...
    Jon
    I like it enough to have considered ordering an immediate replacement if the device had not worked in 8 hours. For 6 months, I have been reading all my books and newspaper subscriptions (NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post) on the Kindle. I wrote more on the subject in http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=110473

By the way, I had mentioned the possibility of ordering one from eBay but it seems that the prices on eBay are more expensive than those at Amazon. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Wise.

I read a tip for drying out cell phones, and it would work I expect for all small electronics.

You take it out the battery, and then bury the whole thing in a container of raw rice overnight. The rice will absorb the moisture.

I haven;t had the need to try it yet.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Lucky indeed. I recently dropped my iPod in the tub. It worked for a few seconds underwater, then went crazy: The screen was flashing like all the buttons were pressed at once, then it started "rebooting" in a loop, then the screen went blank and the case started making a faint sizzling sound that lasted about a minute. I thought it was dead for good!

The fix: I left the iPod sitting in the heat of the cooling fan of my laptop, which I usually leave sitting on a desk. It took two full days of drying after which the battery was completely dead, but after a recharge it is almost like new. Still glitches up occasionally though.