Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have I Been Hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    I think you're safe.

What browser and email client do you use?

I've never tried, but it might be possible.

Steven, I use the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser and I had used a Hotmail email address to contact her but my main email on the computer is Outlook Express which I never used with her. There was never any "hanky-panky" going on with this woman, if she really is a woman,lol but my old lady would frown upon me contacting another woman on the net (imagine that?) so that's why I signed up for a Hotmail email account.

same here it came from limewire. I had to wipe my system, first I put it into safe mode and put all my pics onto an ex drive then used the restore disc I got when I got my computer, then scanned each picture I wanted back in my computer. almost all of one folder was corrupt. I was proud of this because im computarded, and had to use a manual with tiny tiny writing to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Steven, I use the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser and I had used a Hotmail email address to contact her but my main email on the computer is Outlook Express which I never used with her. There was never any "hanky-panky" going on with this woman, if she really is a woman,lol but my old lady would frown upon me contacting another woman on the net (imagine that?) so that's why I signed up for a Hotmail email account.
    vBulletin won't let me link this, but copy and paste this into your address bar:

%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Pictures
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Dr. Young, Thank you for your exhaustive reply. I don't have any passwords stored in the computer, if you're referring to a list. I merely type them in the appropriate box when required. I keep them all in my head....it's pretty easy but I cannot reveal my technique. I do clear my history, temporary internet files and delete cookies every week or so. I never did it for security reasons but it seemed to make the computer run better. I unchecked a box a couple days ago that WAS checked that allowed "remote assistance" by going to control panel > systems > remote and then unchecked the box. I wish I had the email but I quickly deleted it....I felt like I had shit on my shoe,lol. I really don't know what to think anymore. Like so many things in life, the more I get exposed to computers-the less I realize I know. I might just play dumb if I see her online again, claim I did get her email but didn't see any links or click on anything and have her send it to me again.
    Last edited by smokey; 11-19-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    vBulletin won't let me link this, but copy and paste this into your address bar:

%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Pictures
    Steven, Pretty cool........the only thing is the link she included said "stat4958" and not %HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Pictures. How could she create a link to my pix when the link just said "stat4958"? Thanks.

That part would be easy. I know gmail makes it simple, I assume most others do, Just like I can make a link that says click here, yet send you where ever I type into the link box.

(ps I sent you to cc home page)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Steven, Pretty cool........the only thing is the link she included said "stat4958" and not %HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Pictures. How could she create a link to my pix when the link just said "stat4958"? Thanks.
    See sjean's post. The text of the link can be made to say anything.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Polett, No they are not posted anywhere on the internet....frankly they are too boring. In addition, when I clicked on the link and the new window appeared it had the "drop box" at the top; my computer > my documents > my pictures > picture package > Atlantic City.
    I notice you are descriptive on you folder names.

What is the fileneame of the picture you saw?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I notice you are descriptive on you folder names.

What is the fileneame of the picture you saw?

sjean, it was a group of pix that appeared, not just one picture. The name I gave the group of pix is "Atlantic City", they are contained in a file folder the computer called 101MSDCF

Dr. Young, Thank you for your exhaustive reply. I don't have any passwords stored in the computer, if you're referring to a list. I merely type them in the appropriate box when required. I keep them all in my head....it's pretty easy but I cannot reveal my technique. I do clear my history, temporary internet files and delete cookies every week or so. I never did it for security reasons but it seemed to make the computer run better. I unchecked a box a couple days ago that WAS checked that allowed "remote assistance" by going to control panel > systems > remote and then unchecked the box. I wish I had the email but I quickly deleted it....I felt like I had shit on my shoe,lol. I really don't know what to think anymore. Like so many things in life, the more I get exposed to computers-the less I realize I know. I might just play dumb if I see her online again, claim I did get her email but didn't see any links or click on anything and have her send it to me again.
    It sounds like you have nothing to worry about. I am just glad that I have a Mac.

Wise.