Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have I Been Hacked?

is the link in your browser history?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    That's what I mean, yes. It fits Occam's razor nicely.
    Steven, That may be but I don't want a Pandora's Box! lol

ThomasB, No I have my computer set up to delete history daily. Plus I manually deleted my history, temporary internet files and cookies. I've always done it every few days or so....it makes my computer run better.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    In addition, when I clicked on the link and the new window appeared it had the "drop box" at the top; my computer > my documents > my pictures > picture package > Atlantic City.
    SO you were linked right to your own computer.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

sjean, Yes that's what happened. The question however remains;
    Did she construct a link that simply directed me into my own computer?
    OR
    Did she hack into my computer, look through the files and then send me a link of my pix?

If any of you computer savvy folks wanted to do one or both of these, are you capable of doing it starting with only someone's IP number? Thanks again.
    Last edited by smokey; 11-19-2008 at 11:21 AM.

smokey, I'm running a full scan on your IP right now. I'll let you know if I find anything.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    smokey, I'm running a full scan on your IP right now. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Steven, Thanks. I got a new modem last week and my IP address changed from what it was when I got the email from the woman....if that makes any difference. And please disregard those pix of me in women's underwear with the midgets! lol
    Last edited by smokey; 11-19-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Steven, Thanks. I got a new modem last week and my IP address changed from what it was when I got the email from the woman....if that makes any difference. And please disregard those pix of me in women's underwear with the midgets! lol
    It doesn't -- I can get your latest IP from your recent posts.

nmap says you're in the clear, but check here just to be sure. Click Proceed, then choose File Sharing, Common Ports, and All Service Ports.

If any are open, let us know.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Thanks Steven, Everything is closed according to the scan. So, do you have an opinion regarding whether or not my computer files have been compromised by this woman?

Also, do you (or anyone that is computer savvy) have the ability to create a hyperlink that would trick me and direct me back into my own computer picture files?
    Thanks again. You folks at care/cure are the best for many things.

Thanks Steven, Everything is closed according to the scan. So, do you have an opinion regarding whether or not my computer files have been compromised by this woman?
    I think you're safe.

What browser and email client do you use?

Also, do you (or anyone that is computer savvy) have the ability to create a hyperlink that would trick me and direct me back into my own computer picture files?
    Thanks again. You folks at care/cure are the best for many things.
    I've never tried, but it might be possible.

Steven, what do you mean it could just be a trick? Do you mean the links she sent simply directed me into my own computer files and she never hacked in or had access? Thanks.
    smokey, I think that you are right. You have no evidence that this person got into your computer. All that she did was to send you an email with some kind of executable link that resulted in your displaying your own pictures. You were right to be suspicious but it doesn't mean that she had access to your computers or pictures.

On the other hand, it does mean that somebody bad has access to your email and you can only hope that the email did not contain some kind of program that sent out information from your computer. It is possible that she wasn't responsible for sending the email, that somebody else had set up programs to capture your and her email, then used her email address to send to your email, so that you would click on the link.

My worry would be that you had, by clicking that link on the email, may have executed a program that sent out information from your computer inadvertently. So, what you need to do is to make sure that you change your passwords that might be stored in some password file, particularly passwords that may allow somebody access to your computer over internet, and any sensitive credit card information that you might have stored on your computer. You may want to clear the cookies from your browser. If you still have that email, you might want to look at it carefully to see if it has an excutable code.

Wise.