Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have I Been Hacked?

Have I Been Hacked?

I've been playing a Yahoo word game for a few months. I played against a woman maybe 50 times over 6 months. We exchanged a couple emails to find out when would be a good time to play each other. I had a crazy Yahoo ID with bogus information. I never met her or talked to her. I never told her my name, my location, age, etc. or any personal info....except my IP address is apparently encoded in my email somewhere. Anyway I got an email the other day from her and it basically said "here you go" and there were 3 hyperlinks included in the message that said "stat.2234". I clicked on the links and they were pix from within my own computer! They are not on Photobucket or Flickr. I run a McAfee Security Suite and no intrusions were detected. No viruses or keystroke detectors found either. WTF happened...any computer geeks out there got an idea? I swapped modems and it generated a new IP address and I had a Geek Squad guy come out and he checked out my system and said everything seemed ok. By clicking on the links could I have given her remote access to my computer via some type of PVN or had she already hack into my computer? I don't get it. Thanks.

What exactly were the pix of?

It could just be a trick. Can you post the links here?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Malware

Sounds like a Malware infection.
    Spybot Search and destroy may help.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html
    Although first you may have to clean off the Malware
    The forum on Safer Networking provides a lot of info.
    Start with the stickies in the Malware forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    Jeff
    Doh!

The pix were of me and my girlfriend just on vacation in Atlantic City, NJ. Nothing juicy, salacious or anything terribly interesting. All the pix I have in the computer are pretty generic and boring really. Frankly, all the pics we have ever taken are pretty dull,lol. Unfortunately I deleted the email. The Geek Sqaud guy was wishing I had it as well. He said it would have been helpful so he could maybe determine if the links "opened the door" for her to get in and look and manipulate my computer or it may have also sent my files to another location so she could look through them. It's just something out of my league. Could it be that the link simply directed me into my own computer pix/files and she never even saw the pix/files or got remote access to my computer? Also, what if I contact Hotmail....do you think they can retrieve the deleted email or are they another useless conglomerate? Thanks again.
    Last edited by smokey; 11-13-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Do you still have the email ? I'm interested in knowing where did the hyperlink lead to, Don't click it, in Firefox right click and choose "Copy Link Location" and post it here if you don't mind.

yikes
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

When I go to; my computer>my pictures>Atlantic City (folder that link directed me to), it indicates in the bottom left column under details "Date Modified; Sunday, November 9,2008, 8:07 PM". That is the day and the time I opened the email and clicked on the link. I don't know if it means anything though. I don't see anything different regarding the pictures.

I had malware infection that flashed pictures from my own computer as it installed itself.
    After that it'd pop up messages that told me that my computer was infected and that it could fix it.
    I had been running Norton antivirus and it did nothing to stop the infection and did not detect it.

Again, download and run Spybot search and destroy or perhaps Windows Defender, or both. They are both free.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

Jeff
    Doh!

Thanks Jeff, I ran Windows Defender and and it said "the program can't download definition updates", "Error found; Code 0x80240016". Am I supposed to deactivate my firewalls during the Windows Defender scan or something? Windows Defender also says "no unwanted or harmful software detected", "your computer is running normally". It seems to run fine....just not sure if my "stalker" got in it, is still there or I unwittingly sent her my pix and files by clicking on the link she sent me.

thanks for the info
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.