Thread: T-12 Complete, lots of pain

T-12 Complete, lots of pain

In December of 2006 I got rear-ended by a speeding SUV while riding my street bike (new Buell XB9SX). The impact broke all my ribs, shattered my left scapula, collarbone, and gave me a burst fracture of my T-12 vertebre causing total paralysis from my waist down. It's been almost two years now, with the first 11 months after the accident in hospitals, rehab & nursing homes.

While I'm happy to be alive and working again, and driving (got my hand control license and a nice handicapped equipped van) I am suffering from extreme nerve pain, and now have been diagnosed with calcified kidney stones, from my body losing calcium from the bones, and clogging up my kidneys with calcium.

I was wondering what I can do to stop or reverse this leaching of calcium from my bones, and the nerve pain which is excrutiating when it hits. This is causing me to turn into a mean SOB, and my wife and kid are getting real sick of me in this condition. When there is no pain I can do anything, but when it hits (more and more often) I turn into a real jerk.

I was 48 years old when this happened, an off-road motorcycle racer, and was on the verge of being a motojournalist for a few web sites, testing and writing about motorcycles. This has been some learning experience, let me tell you.

Thanks,
    Matt Cuddy
    Burbank, Ca.

i ask your DR for Lyric,weight gain is problem with Lyric

Another med for Neuropathic pain is Cymbalta. Used to treat depression as well as nerve pain.

Ask your doctor to get a bone scan to see how severe the osteoporosis is and blood tests for the hormone that causes calcium to come out of the bones. He or she can base treatment recommendations on the results.

Lyrica and Cymbalta are only two of the many meds that can help with pain. You really need to tell your SCI dr what is going on with your pain so he or she can help you. Are you on anything right now? Did it stop working?

Take a look through the pain forum to get an idea on what meds are out there and what people are saying about them and then go to your doctor.

My husband is on both of the above meds. They work for him, mostly. He does have his bad days. The lyrica made him gain weight which really bothers him.

Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
    In December of 2006 I got rear-ended by a speeding SUV while riding my street bike (new Buell XB9SX). The impact broke all my ribs, shattered my left scapula, collarbone, and gave me a burst fracture of my T-12 vertebre causing total paralysis from my waist down. It's been almost two years now, with the first 11 months after the accident in hospitals, rehab & nursing homes.

While I'm happy to be alive and working again, and driving (got my hand control license and a nice handicapped equipped van) I am suffering from extreme nerve pain, and now have been diagnosed with calcified kidney stones, from my body losing calcium from the bones, and clogging up my kidneys with calcium.

I was wondering what I can do to stop or reverse this leaching of calcium from my bones, and the nerve pain which is excrutiating when it hits. This is causing me to turn into a mean SOB, and my wife and kid are getting real sick of me in this condition. When there is no pain I can do anything, but when it hits (more and more often) I turn into a real jerk.

I was 48 years old when this happened, an off-road motorcycle racer, and was on the verge of being a motojournalist for a few web sites, testing and writing about motorcycles. This has been some learning experience, let me tell you.

Thanks,
    Matt Cuddy
    Burbank, Ca.
    Matt,
    First off tell your wife and kid your sorry it's not there fault so stop taking it out on them before you don't have them anymore more. I would go see a Dr. and get something for your outbursts and then get something for your pain. We all have to deal with it you are no different, you better change your ways and quick and why are you not writing for the web sites anymore. That would keep your mind busy. Good luck please let us know how you are doing.

This is a tough pill to swallow, but nobody likes an angry crotchity gimp. It is so hard because pain will drive a good man crazy. Get help , I agree with the doorman.
    I would say that the chronic pain would turn me from Dr. Jeckyl (sp?) to Mr. Hyde.

Thanks everybody for responding, I got the kidney stone removed with lithotripsy and man it hurt like hell, that was a week ago, they just took the stint and in-dwelling catheder out a few hours ago and I feel a lot better.

Your right there Doorman, I've got the best family on the planet and I'm not going to lose them from being a bi-polar nut case. Thanks to arndog, Kap, cmoore & Doha too. I've got Kaiser which is like midevil medicine in some ways, it's like they just discovered asprin. I've found that a 5mg Ativan & a couple 10-325 Norco washed down with a 40 of Steel Reserve usually calms me down, and take the pain away (just kidding).
    If anyone cares for vintage dirtbike stuff, you can read some of my rantings on motorcycle.com, the MX Forum (I'm the moderator). Also, I covered "The Monsters of Motocross" for off-road.com a couple weeks ago, the proceeds went to the Reeve/Irvine SCI research center, so it was a good cause (comes out next month on off-road.com in the dirtbike section).

Since I'm a newly minted para I take all your suggestions seriously, I'll ask my doc for some of those drugs, but they'll just give me more dilauid or morphene, which doesn't take away the pain, but makes me funny as hell ('till I pass out).

Later on folks, we'll talk soon (type?).

Matt
    Burbank (land of enchantment)

I have occasionally had to take very high doses of steroids. I know that the steroids make me mean as hell, so I have this "policy" to call everybody I think I'm likely to piss off while on the med's, warn them, and apologize ahead of time. It's harder to be proactive when you're dealing with pain that is unpredictable. Do you take medication for the pain? Have you found anything that's worked? I can give you a few suggestions based on what's worked for me, but there's no need for me to go into all that, if you've already tried those things.....
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem