Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left-handed Presidents

Left-handed Presidents

Left-handed people constitute about 10-15% of the U.S. population. Barack obama is left-handed. With the election of Barack Obama, we will have had 6 left-handed Presidents since World War II. William Jefferson Clinton is left-handed. George H. W. Bush is left-handed. Ronald Reagan was left-handed and was forced to write with his hand as a child. Gerald Ford was left-handed. Harry Truman was left-handed. Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Carter, and George W. Bush were or are right-handed. So, of the 12 post-war presidents, half were or are left-handed (Source).

So, is there a vast left-handed conspiracy going on, at least for politicians? Note that John McCain is a left-hander (Source). So, what are the odds that we would have two left-handed presidential candidates. Let's say that 10% of the U.S. population is left-handed. The odds that both candidates will be right-handed is 9 x 9 or 81%. The odds that one candidate will be right- and the other left-handed 9 x 2 or 18%. The odds that both will be left-handed will be only 1%. Four of the last five presidents were left-handed. If McCain had won in 2000 and Kerry had won in 2004, six of the last six president would have been left-handed. Kerry is left-handed except that he throws with his right. The above are all statistically highly improbable, suggesting that there is a strong selection factor for lefties to run for and to become President of the United States, at least in the last 50 years.

Wise.

Well now .... I'm left handed ... but have absolutely no desire to be president of any country... not even CareCure . My teachers tried to switch my "writing hand" to the right hand ..... bad idea .. really bad .. why'd they do that it scarred me for life !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

and what about vice presidents? maybe mccain lost bcause palin was right-handed. yup that must be it..
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

I'm only left-handed when I want it to be a first date. LOL.
    Back when I could write, when I would try to write with my left hand, my handwriting was almost exactly the same just backwards. What does that mean?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Well now .... I'm left handed ... but have absolutely no desire to be president of any country... not even CareCure . My teachers tried to switch my "writing hand" to the right hand ..... bad idea .. really bad .. why'd they do that it scarred me for life !!

Obie

Ahh, Obie. Maybe having two X-chromosomes negates the driving effects of left-handedness for presidency... No female president so far. I rest my case. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I'm only left-handed when I want it to be a first date. LOL.
    Back when I could write, when I would try to write with my left hand, my handwriting was almost exactly the same just backwards. What does that mean?
    rybread, you are wierd? Actually, the mirror writing that you describe is interesting. In some ways, it makes sense. Do you have trouble distinguish between b and d, p and q, etc. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    rybread, you are wierd?
    Thank you. I do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Actually, the mirror writing that you describe is interesting. In some ways, it makes sense. Do you have trouble distinguish between b and d, p and q, etc. Wise.
    I've never had a problem distinguishing between those letters, but being a mechanic, I had to be somewhat ambidextrous to reach in tight spots that I can't see with either hand. Does it have anything to do with me being able to do pretty complex math in my head? Not to mention my ability to be able to manipulate objects in my head three dimensionally?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Thank you. I do my best.

I've never had a problem distinguishing between those letters, but being a mechanic, I had to be somewhat ambidextrous to reach in tight spots that I can't see with either hand. Does it have anything to do with me being able to do pretty complex math in my head? Not to mention my ability to be able to manipulate objects in my head three dimensionally?
    There is probably some academic cognitive science department somewhere that would be interested in studying you. . wise.

Smile

I have been left handed, since birth. When I was a kid, I started out writing backwards, (mirror writing). My Mom told me it was also upside down. I don't rmember the part about being upside down, but even now, it seems more natural to write backwards at times.

Thank you. I do my best.

My son is amidextrous and also has this spatial modeling and mathematic ability, not inherited from me. I wonder if this has anything to do with the left and right sides of the brain working more in unison in individuals with these abilities. I also read that Leonardo Da Vinci was ambidextrous and practised mirror writing.