Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 157

Thread: Trip to Seattle! and the Job Interview with Micro$oft

  1. #1
    Senior Member mr_coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,030

    Talking Trip to Seattle! and the Job Interview with Micro$oft

    Well hello,

    I'm Cory.

    Anywho, so this semester has been very little studying and a whole lot of job interviews. I've been flying a ton lately and its been a pretty good experience for the most part. But on a side note, I don't know how you guys can do it. Say you fly on a 5 hour flight to Seattle, and you have to take a shit. I can see how you can avoid pissing by wearing a leg bag (I do this) but if you have to shit, what do you do! Even if they had an isle chair on the plane, how do you get to the bathroom? I keep crutches near by so I can get up and go but when I think, what if I couldn't walk to the bathroom, how in the hell would you do it. Just a side rant, and a hats off to whoever can pull this off.

    So the trip out to Seattle was a new experience for me because the longest plane ride I've taken was 1.5 hours if that. So flying for 5 hours was a new experience. It wasn't a direct flight either, we had to detour to DC and hten from there fly to Seattle. My ass was killing me! I might need to bring somthing to sit on next time. But soon my ass went numb so it wasn't as painful after about 3 hours. But luckily I had no shit issues as I usually do when it comes to trips.

    Once i got to Seattle it was raining and dark. I asked them for a vehicle that had a big trunk so I could put a wheelchair in it. But what I didn't think of was how high this vehicle could be. I ended up getting a Chevy Ranger, which was huge, I usually sit on the back bumper and from there I can throw my wheelchair in and out of the vehicle. But I ended up just finding random people to help me which turned out alright.

    So I was tired and hungry because I didn't get in until around 11:00pm to Seattle but they put me at a very nice hotel called the Hayett I think. Nothing was open but the bars so I hit up Wendy's (that was a mistake) I then fell asleep. I awoke to an odd feeling in my stomach. Almost like shit just built up into a small poo baby in my lower intestine. It was around 6:00am when I awoke and then interview wasn't until 9:15am. So I thought I had plenty of time to shit. I went in there, checked to see if I had to shit by promptly inserting my pointer finger into my anus and nothing! I was like COME ON! So I said alright I'll eat some breakfast because I'm hungry and I want coffee. So I ordered some room service and they bought up eggs, cofffee, and some sides I didn't order along with toast. I looked at the bill and it was $28! I pee'ed alittle but then I reminded myself Microsoft was paying this not me, so I felt like a small child in a candy story.

    So I prepare for the interview the rest of the morning and keep trying to shit because I know its up there, I can feel it crawling around. Then 8:30 rolls around and I'm like alirght its time to go! I jump into the wheelchair heading towards the door when suddenly it hits me, and I hurry up and jump on the pot and my ass is like puking up god knows what, a mixture of coffee and wendy's sandwich I think. I'm like oh great. It smells like something fierce, like a dead racoon that was dipped in BBQ sauce and then baked in the oven at 450 degrees. So this doesn't stop for awhile, I get up and then it hits me again, and again...so its now 9:00 and I have to be in Redmond in 15 mins and it takes 10 to get there.

    So I'm flying hoping I don't get lost, because if I do, I’m fucked (I suck at directions as well). I some how make it on time, but as soon as I get there round 8 of shit is coming. So even though I made it on time, I had to hurry up and shit again. So i go into the first bathroom and of course some ass f*ck took the handicap restroom when the other 2 were open. When I saw this instantly sweat starting forming on the upper lip, a sure sign your about to shit yourself. I didn’t have my crutches with me and I couldn't get in that one with the chair so I went up to the 2nd floor. It was thankfully open so I sit down, and nothing happens as it usually doesn't. So I reach in my pocket to find the latex gloves, there arn't any! I think to myself, oh great, I'm going to shake the interviewers hand and its going to smell like shit, oh well. So i go in there without protection, I felt like a maverick. So I have shit all over my hand it feels warm, and gross. I then have to get my pants up and make sure I only use 1 hand to do everything because the other is covered in layers of shit, and tioletpaper.

    So I roll out of there 1 handed and get to the sink and smother it with hot water and soap. I think the smell of shit though embedded itself in my skin, like a nice lotion. I'm already late so I give it another wash and call it good.

    So that was the worst part of the interview. I had 5 interviews, each an hour long. But I think I did amazing on all the interviews, everyone was very impressed it seemed and in the end the one guy said I inspired him. So I think I have a pretty good chance of getting the job!

    Its a Project Management Position in Seattle! I'm not sure how much I like Seattle but I'm sure the money and the job will make up for it. Its sounds pretty awesome, I would be working on the Windows Experience team. So the new Windows 7 you'll be seeing and all the other windows to come is what I would be working on, designing new and cool features for it and telling other people to make it happen. ha, its not that exactly but you get the drift.

    I also think this job will help my self-esteem when it comes to doing new things with people who don't know me. Its very strange, I learned I'm a very confident person in the business setting and I think this is because people know your important, they know your title, etc. But outside the business world you just a guy in a wheelchair. I never really understood why I was always confident when it came to job interviews or talking to executives but now I think I know why. Hopefully over time I can feel the same way outside the business setting, I guess we will wait and see.

    I should know within the next 2 weeks. If this one doesn't work out I still have a job offer with Cisco Systems out in Cali.

    Nothing exciting happened on the way back, just another uncomfortable plane trip. I also thought I pissed myself but turns out it was just in my head.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 11-12-2008 at 02:45 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;


    For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

  2. #2
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,432
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    So i go in there without protection, I felt like a maverick.
    Have I told you lately that I love you?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    Its very strange, I learned I'm a very confident person in the business setting and I think this is because people know your important, they know your title, etc. But outside the business world you just a guy in a wheelchair. I never really understood why I was always confident when it came to job interviews or talking to executives but now I think I know why. Hopefully over time I can feel the same way outside the business setting, I guess we will wait and see.
    Cory,

    I don't think it's just your title.

    When it came to school, public speaking, meetings at work, etc., you could say I was and still am over-confident. It's a confidence that comes from a healthy (or unhealthy!) ego fuelled by hard work.

    I always believed I'd get into law school because I had faith in my intelligence and worked by arse off.

    The same goes for work. When I open my mouth in a meeting I'm always confident because I know what I have to say is important. I know, because I've done the preparatory work.

    But in social settings, there are things about the way I present myself that I just can't change. I think it gets better with age and maturity, but it's a constant battle.

    Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill , Florida
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    Well hello,

    I'm Cory.

    Anywho, so this semester has been very little studying and a whole lot of job interviews. I've been flying a ton lately and its been a pretty good experience for the most part. But on a side note, I don't know how you guys can do it. Say you fly on a 5 hour flight to Seattle, and you have to take a shit. I can see how you can avoid pissing by wearing a leg bag (I do this) but if you have to shit, what do you do! Even if they had an isle chair on the plane, how do you get to the bathroom? I keep crutches near by so I can get up and go but when I think, what if I couldn't walk to the bathroom, how in the hell would you do it. Just a side rant, and a hats off to whoever can pull this off.

    So the trip out to Seattle was a new experience for me because the longest plane ride I've taken was 1.5 hours if that. So flying for 5 hours was a new experience. It wasn't a direct flight either, we had to detour to DC and hten from there fly to Seattle. My ass was killing me! I might need to bring somthing to sit on next time. But soon my ass went numb so it wasn't as painful after about 3 hours. But luckily I had no shit issues as I usually do when it comes to trips.

    Once i got to Seattle it was raining and dark. I asked them for a vehicle that had a big trunk so I could put a wheelchair in it. But what I didn't think of was how high this vehicle could be. I ended up getting a Chevy Ranger, which was huge, I usually sit on the back bumper and from there I can throw my wheelchair in and out of the vehicle. But I ended up just finding random people to help me which turned out alright.

    So I was tired and hungry because I didn't get in until around 11:00pm to Seattle but they put me at a very nice hotel called the Hayett I think. Nothing was open but the bars so I hit up Wendy's (that was a mistake) I then fell asleep. I awoke to an odd feeling in my stomach. Almost like shit just built up into a small poo baby in my lower intestine. It was around 6:00am when I awoke and then interview wasn't until 9:15am. So I thought I had plenty of time to shit. I went in there, checked to see if I had to shit by promptly inserting my pointer finger into my anus and nothing! I was like COME ON! So I said alright I'll eat some breakfast because I'm hungry and I want coffee. So I ordered some room service and they bought up eggs, cofffee, and some sides I didn't order along with toast. I looked at the bill and it was $28! I pee'ed alittle but then I reminded myself Microsoft was paying this not me, so I felt like a small child in a candy story.

    So I prepare for the interview the rest of the morning and keep trying to shit because I know its up there, I can feel it crawling around. Then 8:30 rolls around and I'm like alirght its time to go! I jump into the wheelchair heading towards the door when suddenly it hits me, and I hurry up and jump on the pot and my ass is like puking up god knows what, a mixture of coffee and wendy's sandwich I think. I'm like oh great. It smells like something fierce, like a dead racoon that was dipped in BBQ sauce and then baked in the oven at 450 degrees. So this doesn't stop for awhile, I get up and then it hits me again, and again...so its now 9:00 and I have to be in Redmond in 15 mins and it takes 10 to get there.

    So I'm flying hoping I don't get lost, because if I do, I’m fucked (I suck at directions as well). I some how make it on time, but as soon as I get there round 8 of shit is coming. So even though I made it on time, I had to hurry up and shit again. So i go into the first bathroom and of course some ass f*ck took the handicap restroom when the other 2 were open. When I saw this instantly sweat starting forming on the upper lip, a sure sign your about to shit yourself. I didn’t have my crutches with me and I couldn't get in that one with the chair so I went up to the 2nd floor. It was thankfully open so I sit down, and nothing happens as it usually doesn't. So I reach in my pocket to find the latex gloves, there arn't any! I think to myself, oh great, I'm going to shake the interviewers hand and its going to smell like shit, oh well. So i go in there without protection, I felt like a maverick. So I have shit all over my hand it feels warm, and gross. I then have to get my pants up and make sure I only use 1 hand to do everything because the other is covered in layers of shit, and tioletpaper.

    So I roll out of there 1 handed and get to the sink and smother it with hot water and soap. I think the smell of shit though embedded itself in my skin, like a nice lotion. I'm already late so I give it another wash and call it good.

    So that was the worst part of the interview. I had 5 interviews, each an hour long. But I think I did amazing on all the interviews, everyone was very impressed it seemed and in the end the one guy said I inspired him. So I think I have a pretty good chance of getting the job!

    Its a Project Management Position in Seattle! I'm not sure how much I like Seattle but I'm sure the money and the job will make up for it. Its sounds pretty awesome, I would be working on the Windows Experience team. So the new Windows 7 you'll be seeing and all the other windows to come is what I would be working on, designing new and cool features for it and telling other people to make it happen. ha, its not that exactly but you get the drift.

    I also think this job will help my self-esteem when it comes to doing new things with people who don't know me. Its very strange, I learned I'm a very confident person in the business setting and I think this is because people know your important, they know your title, etc. But outside the business world you just a guy in a wheelchair. I never really understood why I was always confident when it came to job interviews or talking to executives but now I think I know why. Hopefully over time I can feel the same way outside the business setting, I guess we will wait and see.

    I should know within the next 2 weeks. If this one doesn't work out I still have a job offer with Cisco Systems out in Cali.

    Nothing exciting happened on the way back, just another uncomfortable plane trip. I also thought I pissed myself but turns out it was just in my head.
    Hey Corey,
    I enjoyed reading your post. What a harrowing experience it must have been for you. You should sit on your cushion when you fly. You should never let it go w/your chair or did you carry it on board w/you? Next time your on a long flight like that may I suggest you wear a disposable brief or an adult diaper? I know it's probably not what you want to hear. Also next time if there is no sink in the stall take a bunch of wet & dry paper towels in w/you & some hand sanitizer or waterless hand cleaner just in case god for bid ! that the scenario would re-occur. You were probably nervous & it affected your bowels. I know it happens to me on occassion when I get real nervous or tense. Let's face it job interviews are hard work & can be very stressful to say the least. I wish you the best of luck! I hope you get the Microsoft job. That will be so awesome. Let us all know when you hear some thing. I also wish you the best of luck w/the rest of your schooling.

    Take Care !

    Regards,
    Bob
    Fellow CC Member & Wheeler
    Last edited by RAFS; 11-12-2008 at 05:30 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mr_coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Have I told you lately that I love you?



    Cory,

    I don't think it's just your title.

    When it came to school, public speaking, meetings at work, etc., you could say I was and still am over-confident. It's a confidence that comes from a healthy (or unhealthy!) ego fuelled by hard work.

    I always believed I'd get into law school because I had faith in my intelligence and worked by arse off.

    The same goes for work. When I open my mouth in a meeting I'm always confident because I know what I have to say is important. I know, because I've done the preparatory work.

    But in social settings, there are things about the way I present myself that I just can't change. I think it gets better with age and maturity, but it's a constant battle.

    Chris.


    Chris,

    I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. That's exactly how I feel when it comes to school/business world. Its the preparation or the expertise that makes you confident.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;


    For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

  5. #5
    I think I'd like to be you for a day.

    Awesome news Cory. Cheers!



    I think I want to be chris for a day too... be cool to be a stringy blond with freakisly long lashes, and boss people around in a cute Australian accent.

  6. #6
    Congrats Cory....

    You may be getting plane sickness from flying......They have pills you can take so you don't get sick to your stomach after the ride......just my 2 cents for whats its worth.

    Art
    Art

  7. #7
    Senior Member wheelchairTITAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oakville, ON ... Just North of the 43rd Parallel, SocialistLand
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    Well hello,

    I'm Cory.

    Anywho, so this semester has been very little studying and a whole lot of job interviews. I've been flying a ton lately and its been a pretty good experience for the most part. But on a side note, I don't know how you guys can do it. Say you fly on a 5 hour flight to Seattle, and you have to take a shit. I can see how you can avoid pissing by wearing a leg bag (I do this) but if you have to shit, what do you do! Even if they had an isle chair on the plane, how do you get to the bathroom? I keep crutches near by so I can get up and go but when I think, what if I couldn't walk to the bathroom, how in the hell would you do it. Just a side rant, and a hats off to whoever can pull this off.
    Cory ... airlines are required by law to carry on-board access chairs to get someone to the lavatory. They all have these stowed in a forward cabinet and must make it available to those who require access to a washroom while in flight.

    They don't advertise this but the on-board staff are also required to assist you in transfer to from this on-board aisle chair. It is designed to fit directly into the lavatory so that you can transfer to the toilet and back to the chair.

    Like city buses where lifts don't work, the problem is often lack of repairs and missing parts or a missing chair sometimes comes about when the chair has been removed at some airport and not returned or is broken.

    On flights more than two hours I always ask the in-flight crew to check that there is one on-board and that it is working. If there isn't one you can legally ask for the airline ground duty manger for the that airline to make sure there is one before you push back from the gate. The ground manger is in charge of that plane from a legal point of view until the door closes and push back occurs and they must make sure that there is an on-board access chair if you request one.

    Because time is money to the airlines you will be surprised how quickly they will find you an on-board access chair. Usually "borrowed" from the plane parked in the jetway next to yours.

    William

    ... rolling since 1989
    ...

    BE NICE!It's free

    P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

    TWITTER: @MacBerry

  8. #8
    Nice work Cory, you've been hard at it. I think you'll grow to like the area - well, Seattle anyway! I'm biased, but the thing I like best about Redmond/the Eastside is when I'm heading the opposite direction. The I-405 stretch from the airport doesn't help one's impression either. Let me know if you come back for interviews, dinner's on us and I'll try and do you one better than Wendy's!

    No kidding about the airplane bathroom thing. I usually try and dehydrate and empty out before the ride but dehydrating leaves me with that undiluted pee that my poor bladder can't handle anymore. Last time I was in the air I was thinking to myself, "Wow, I never thought my life would come to this" as I was shoving a tube up me peeing in a bottle as the woman next to me restlessly slept. God forbid having to take a dump, I eat like a bird the day before.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zilnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    360
    Cory,

    Even your writing is more professional. I very nearly thought you used spell check!

    Congrats on moving to the home of Starbucks.

    Liz
    I wished upon a falling star, I wished it had not fallen...

  10. #10
    Sorry Cory but I think you may be the Jesus Christ Superstar of SCI, sent to show people that even explosive shitting seconds before shaking hands with your future employer isn't always a disaster.

    When you get busy please don't stop posting.

    You do shit a lot though, I reckon this one was pre interview nerves boiling up your insides. You can be as confident as you like but your bowels are bouncing like a bridge in an earthquake.
    C5/6 incomplete

    "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •