Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Bowel Program Days

Sorry it's been a while since I logged in to check the thread. We've been moving the computer around. We use two generic suppositories (10mg Bisacodyl) . I've seen a lot of mention of the "Magic Bullets". Maybe we should look into those. If we call the pharmacist, will they know what we're talking about?

Probably not. Most people order theirs on-line. Here is the direct manufacturer's website. You can get a sample pack from them without having to purchase a large amount:

http://conceptsinconfidence.com/cata...ies-p-497.html

(KLD)

SoCalGal77 I hope you haven't ordered some yet, because Seated Life (link below) offers better prices, even on the "sample" pack.

Seated Life sells 10 Magic Bullets for just $5.00 + $3.00 shipping (or 80 cents each).

Concepts in Confidence offers 12 Magic Bullets for $9.95 and the only way that would be close to as good a price as Seated Life offers, is if they had free shipping, which they don't because it would be clearly advertised (I don't know what their shipping charge is; I tried to find out, but they require creating an account with full contact info and I don't want to know their shipping fee that bad). Even with free shipping, it would be 83 cents each.

If you like them, the two best places to buy from are either Seated Life or Allegro Medical (link below).

Seated Life has 100 Magic Bullets for $44.00 with free shipping and no tax, which is the best deal--IF you don't need other supplies. A "bonus" reason for doing business with Seated Life is that two quadriplegics are the owners.

If you need other supplies, chances are Allegro Medical has them at good or excellent prices, and if you're going to incur a shipping charge on other supplies, then you can add 100 Magic Bullets for just $39.99 and it won't change your shipping cost much, if at all (it depends on what & how much you buy).

http://www.seatedlife.com/

http://www.allegromedical.com/

I'm always looking for the best deals. I've been shopping online for supplies for roughly 10 years, and I've compiled links to stores and given recommendations on this page of my website:

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/Bill's_Links.htm

If anyone knows of particularly good deals or places to shop online for supplies that people with disabilities can use, I'd be happy to add them to my page.

Bill Miller
    Last edited by BillMiller823; 11-24-2008 at 03:09 AM.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

My fiance says the suppositories he's getting from his pharmacist are the "magic bullets" that you're all talking about. KLD, can you confirm one way or the other with this 10mg Bisacodyl?

Never new anyone to "use two generic suppositories (10mg Bisacodyl) ."

Know people who have cut them in half but never 2 at a time

If it's not written Magic Bullets on the box, it's not. Your pharmacist probably doesn't know that different bases are used and he will tell you they are the same because they contain the same active ingredient. Unfortunately, they are not the same since the magic bullets are using a water soluble base making them act faster and more efficiently.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Both the Magic Bullet and all other brands of bisacodyl suppository have 10 mg. of bisacodyl in them. The difference, which is ONLY available in the Magic Bullet is they are much more soluble (they melt more quickly and more completely) and this makes more drug available. This is called bioavailability. I find the if you run out of the Magic Bullet and must substitute, that two regular bisacodyl suppositories is the best substitute, but they still will most likely not work as quickly (although they are much cheaper). Not everyone needs the extra strength, and some get cramping, but if you need it, the Magic Bullet is a good option.

(KLD)

Not to be picky here but in pharmacology "bioavailability" refers to the fraction of the drug entering systemic circulation which is not the case here since the desired action is local and very little reaches systemic circulation. It would be more appropriate to talk about faster liberation and greater dispersion of the active ingredient (bisacodyl).
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Have you and your husband considered any alternatives such as a colostomy for bowel care?

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Never new anyone to "use two generic suppositories (10mg Bisacodyl) ."

Know people who have cut them in half but never 2 at a time
    I use 2