Thread: 3 Years searching , doctor after doctor

3 Years searching , doctor after doctor

Hi everyone im shure im at the right place with all the threads ive read im gratefull. Three years ago I was in a construction accident Iwas working of a high lift it broke and dropped me, I really didn,t feel to bad at the time. I did feel a ball in the thoracic area. A few days later things changed that ball feeling in my back turned into a nightmare that kept getting worse.Pain beyond any pain i ever felt, I had to really struggle to breath, my legs felt slugish and would not go where i wanted them to,my body was slowing down. I went to the doctors they gave me a xray and said soft tishue damage,gave me some pills and sent me to a neuro surg , he did a mri saidsoft tis damage and sent me to a pain doctor.At this time I was walking bent forward and bent sideways , I was in a panic I was going down hill fast. I called the neuro doctor and told him im in bed and its a battle to sit up or walk. I was sent to Physiatrist she put me in traction, traction felt good the pain stopped and i could breathe when they pulled me apart, the therapist had to stop he said somethings not right.i went back to the doctor she orderd ct and a bone scan, she called me up and said you have a comp frac t8, they put me in a hyperextension brace. The brace helped with breathing and getting out of bed more ,ive been sent to therapy with no results, ive been pretty much a prisoner to bed. My doctor has been trying to wein me off brace ,but it takes the pain to high if i dont backoff i loose everything from the stomach down. When i put the brace back on I get my legs back. ive been freaking out I got all new doctors and they knew right away they called it unstable thoracic spine .Does anyone know about this unstable spine ,and is there a line where surgery is not a option and you have to just except?

Hi,

In my experience, unstable spine fractures are surgically repaired, with a number of possible techniques to fuse the spine. When the doctor diagnosed this problem, did he/she recommend you see a neurosurgeon for a surgical repair. I know it has been 3 years but it sounds like you are in severe pain and not having a very good quality of life.
    I would recommend you see a neurosurgeon with experience with SCI, who are usually affiliated with a large SCI center. Hope you are near a large city and I hope this helps.

AAD

Thanks so much, I did see neurosurgeon and im not really getting clear answers, I am being told that a compression fract in the t8 area is in the worst possible area,. And if they have to crack the chest its a coin toss and at that odds would be better. This was not a neurosurgeon familar with sci . Is there a line where its to much of a risk to try and get your life back,or just settle on taking what you have left and try to build off of the nightmare.

Hmm, not much for responses here. Sounds like you really need to find a neurosurgeon who specializes in SCI. Seems like there is a sticky thread here that lists the major SCI centers in the country, if you could get to one of them. All the best, I hope you get relief soon.

There's a compression fracture at T8 but you don't mention if the diagnostic studies showed spinal cord compression. Three years is a terribly long time to not be diagnosed. If there's no neurosurgeons to see, you could look for an Orthopedic Surgeon who is board certified and specializes in spine.

I do have apointments comeing up with SCI doctor and i got all the films im just kinda scared about this whole thing, on the other hand i have some hope. Im not shure if the compression fract at t8 is still compressed, I was told once you have compression frac in that area it stays compressed untile you have had surgeory.I just need to find out my options.
    Last edited by lespaul; 12-05-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: ?