Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soreness at injury site

soreness at injury site

Maybe someone could offer an opinion as to whats going on.
    My son had a type of spinal cord stroke (thought to be from a fibrocartilagenous embolism) in Sep 06. At the time he had a very sensitive area on his back at the level of the injury site. It was a larger area that has decreased over time and become less sensitive. However recently the area on his back has again become sensitive and he says it "bothers" him. It looks alittle swollen to my husband and me. He is also very skinny so any swelling is noticable. He hasn't had any other changes that he has noticed although last night he thought that he had phantom itching around his injury site (around T6). We had taken him to his nuero about two weeks ago because he thought that his back was bothering him at the site and downward. The nuero thought that maybe it was muscular and that he would get back to us about what tests he wanted to follow up with. We have not heard from him and Bri has not mentioned it again till last night and now the the "discomfort" (he does not feel pain) is mostly at the site. We called his nuero back and are waiting to hear from him. Our next appt with Dr. Kerr is not until January but we will email him. I am nervous about this and was hoping someone may have some insight for us as we wait for our neuro to call back.
    Thanks. Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy E View Post
    Maybe someone could offer an opinion as to whats going on.
    My son had a type of spinal cord stroke (thought to be from a fibrocartilagenous embolism) in Sep 06. At the time he had a very sensitive area on his back at the level of the injury site. It was a larger area that has decreased over time and become less sensitive. However recently the area on his back has again become sensitive and he says it "bothers" him. It looks alittle swollen to my husband and me. He is also very skinny so any swelling is noticable. He hasn't had any other changes that he has noticed although last night he thought that he had phantom itching around his injury site (around T6). We had taken him to his nuero about two weeks ago because he thought that his back was bothering him at the site and downward. The nuero thought that maybe it was muscular and that he would get back to us about what tests he wanted to follow up with. We have not heard from him and Bri has not mentioned it again till last night and now the the "discomfort" (he does not feel pain) is mostly at the site. We called his nuero back and are waiting to hear from him. Our next appt with Dr. Kerr is not until January but we will email him. I am nervous about this and was hoping someone may have some insight for us as we wait for our neuro to call back.
    Thanks. Nancy
    I don't know what it is from. The redness and tenderness can be from several causes and all of them are worrisome. My differential diagnosis list would be (not necessarily in order of probability):
    • Ischemia (from embolus)
    • Bacterial infection.
    • Neurogenic Inflammation.

I include ischemia because it occurred after the first time. However, the fact that it is just "a little swollen" may argue against ischemia but it may just be transient ischemia. I would not have thought of this except of the fact that he had similar symptoms as the first time.

Bacterial infection is possible but it should not only be swollen but reddened an warm, i.e. like a cellulitis.

Neurogenic inflammation is something that happens in peripheral nerves. When peripheral nerves become inflamed, they are more sensitive and they can cause a wheal on the skin (a reddening streak).

The MRI should be examined carefully for the presence of increased signal underneath the skin (suggestive of edema and inflammation).

Wise.

Thank you for your response.
    We have called the nuero Mon, Tues and again this morning and still waiting to hear back.
    Is there particular type of MRI or any other tests also that you would suggest? Also the area is tender swollen but not red or warm.

I am very concerned . We have come so far.
    Don't know what to do about getting a MRI ASAP as the nuero has not called us back.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy E View Post
    Thank you for your response.
    We have called the nuero Mon, Tues and again this morning and still waiting to hear back.
    Is there particular type of MRI or any other tests also that you would suggest? Also the area is tender swollen but not red or warm.

I am very concerned . We have come so far.
    Don't know what to do about getting a MRI ASAP as the nuero has not called us back.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Nancy
    A regular MRI should be sufficient.

Wise.

Nuero gave script for reg MRI. Calling for appt this am. would like to get it done today. Thank you again.

MRI appt tommorrow 7am. This is our local pediatric nuero.( not Kerr,but we are looking forward to seeing him in Jan)
    I'm alittle worried, saying prayers.

Had MRI yesterday waiting for results. Had a little trouble. Lots of spasms. some pics were not clear. We'll see.

I hope that it is nothing that the tenderness resolves. Wise.

Thank you.

You can have a digital copy of the MRI films sent to Dr Kerr with the radiologist's report. It helps if he has a chance to see them before your appointment. I had an ischemic stroke at C5-C7 and a year later developed the banding feeling that many with TM have. Thankfully it disappeared on its own 2 years later. Nasty cold, tight feeling around the entire lower thorasic area. Hopefully your son's tenderness will similarly disappear on its own.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.