Thread: Random thought: what muscles are used when voluntarily dislocating your shoulder?

Random thought: what muscles are used when voluntarily dislocating your shoulder?

I'm trying to build up my diaphragm strength so that I don't rely on my accessory muscles as much, if any, to breathe. (And, you know, hopefully it will flatten my belly some and make it easier to choke up secretions or stray beard hairs. )

This got me thinking: I'll still do shoulder rotations and shrugs to keep that area good, but what else can I do?

Pre-SCI, I was able to drop the "ball" out of both shoulder joints whenever I wanted to and put them back in place. Not remembering whether or not I had tried it since my SCI (probably had), I tried and failed.

Does anyone know which muscles would be involved in performing this task? Is this a stupid-human trick I shouldn't worry about regaining?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Smile

I’m curious ass to why you dislocated your shoulders pre-sci and why you are interested in regaining this function. My best guess is that you were using your pectoralis and latissimus dorsi muscles to dislocate your shoulder(pull the humerus) anterior and inferior (most common angle of dislocation). Additionally you most likely had the ability to relax other muscles (deltoids, rotator cuff…). I would recommend taking care of your shoulders unless you can book yourself on David Letterman
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    what else can I do?
    maybe russian stim? google: interferential currents.

wildwilly, I probably watched Lethal Weapon too much.

I'm curious about it mainly because of my injury. I was told C3 when I was injured and people usually guess C3-4 or C4 because I have some shoulder movement, so I'm trying to figure out some task that would involve just the C4 muscles to see what (if anything) I have there. I was hoping that dislocating my shoulder would fit the bill, though I think it involves some C5 and C6.

Thanks for thinking this through. One worry I have is "if I can still drop my shoulder out of joint, would I be able to put it back in by myself?"

Scott, interesting suggestion. Are those the diaphragm stimulators they're testing as implants now?

I'm up to 20 minutes twice a day of breathing with just my diaphragm, as timed by TimerFox. It's amazing how sore you can get just from breathing.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Scott, interesting suggestion. Are those the diaphragm stimulators they're testing as implants now?
    I'm not sure, honestly. I've used russian stim w/ a local PT & my understanding is that the frequency targets deeper tissues. It might be worth reading into, but who knows.

Please don't dislocate your shoulder. Even if you do have enough voluntary motor fxn to shift it back into place, I can't imagine it making any significant difference with strengthening the diaphragm or any auxiliary muscles that assist w/ breathing.

Granted, I can't fault you for trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Please don't dislocate your shoulder. Even if you do have enough voluntary motor fxn to shift it back into place, I can't imagine it making any significant difference with strengthening the diaphragm or any auxiliary muscles that assist w/ breathing.

Granted, I can't fault you for trying...
    Hah. The intent of dislocating my shoulder would simply be to tell whether or not I have the function to do so and then try to build whatever muscles may be involved.

That said, I doubt I'll miraculously uncover hidden function this far post-injury. I have been trying for a few days with no luck, so I'm not expecting "success".

Still, the academic portions of the question intrigue me. I now wish I had taken x-rays prior to my injury with my shoulder out of the socket so I could see exactly what was happening.

WEIRDO

we've already established you being a masochist.

I echo willy and scott, on hoping you take care of your shoulders and not doing anything unnecessarily damaging.

How about binder for flattening out belly and strengthening diaphragm, and by doing more breathing exercises?

I'm sure I'm not enlightening you with anything new, but the only thing that's kept my belly kinda sorta flat is a binder (worn daily for 20+ yrs. ack). With the right lighting and angle, it even looks like I've got ab muskles! (giving it a whack or two helps that illusion )

*scoff*!

Unlike Riggs, I never had to slam my arm against a wall to put the ball of the joint back in place and it never hurt. It was fun (in the way only stupid-human tricks can inspire ) to watch people's faces when they could push my skin beyond where they expected to meet bone.

"Push now. Feel the bone?"

"Push now. Where'd it go?"

"One more time—and it's back!"