Thread: Sarah Palin and fruit flies

Sarah Palin and fruit flies

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg1vIeuQT1s
    The above video from Rachel Maddow pointed out the obvious, that several of the major advances regarding mechanisms of autism came from study of Drosophila melanogaster (the common fruitflies) The Nobel Prize was given last year for the discovery of siRNA and that was done using fruitflies... and it is likely to be regenerative treatment in the near future as well. But aside from showing her ignorance bout science (even though her father is a science teacher), what this speech suggests is that she does not do her homework. She referred specifically to fruitfly work being done in France and here is the low-down on the research that she was referring to:

http://www.hoxfulmonsters.com/2008/1...and-fruit-fly/
    The use of word “fruit fly” obviously makes one think that she is in fact referring to famous model organism Drosophila melanogaster ,as the word fruit fly is almost now a synonym to Drosophila in biology world. I think one has to be careful with the use of words or else it will be cardinal error as it was in the case ,which didn’t go well with majority of scientific world.Later it became clear that Palin was in fact was mentioning about a particular earmark pertaining to agriculture research involving olive fruit flies.The only earmark which connects fruit flies and France is the project involving Bactrocera oleae (Olive fruit fly) being done in Montpellier, 750 kilometers south of Paris.In the speech it sounded that the US taxpayers money is being used to fund a study of fruit flies in Paris, France. This work mentioned in the speech is being done in U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) laboratory near Montpellier, may help protect California olive trees from a serious pest. This earmark is for the European Biological Control Laboratory (EBCL), administered by USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS), which studies ways to control invasive species in the United States by using their natural enemies.

Agree, Palin is a good gal!

Dr. Wise, before you call someone ignorant who does NOT profess to be a doctor or a scientist perhaps you should recall what you told another poster.

"There is no such thing a "cervical medial branch"

So much for being a doctor/scientist 'eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
    People with learning disabilities can ruin a curve for her.

Dr. Wise, before you call someone ignorant who does NOT profess to be a doctor or a scientist perhaps you should recall what you told another poster.

I would love to buy you for what you are worth, and sell you for what you think you are worth.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

That's precisely why it's ridiculous of her to condemn the science
    in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    That's precisely why it's ridiculous of her to condemn the science
    in the first place.
    Agree, right on the money!

A good gal!!!

Meets Kath's criteria for a suitable presidential choice.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...