Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplement Review Thread

Supplement Review Thread

My purpose of starting this thread is to see what dietary supplements, if any, people are currently using or have had positive results with in the past. I know our bodies aren't working the same as the were prior to our injuries, so obviously different products aren't going to have the same results as they did before.

Simply state the name and dose of the product you're reviewing (thermogenic, nitric oxide, creatine, protein, pro-hormone, etc) then describe your results, both positive and negative.

** NOTE: please don't post here bragging about being supplent free or how these products don't work, that's not why I started this thread. Supplement free? good for you... keep it to yourself.
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

shit jb, i forgot toget back to u,..........ill hit u up later, is that cool
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    shit jb, i forgot toget back to u,..........ill hit u up later, is that cool
    i was wondering what happened

give me a ring whenever you get a chance
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Just left u a vm pimp...........
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

ok ill start
    i take
    -animal pack 2x day
    -1000mg vit c 2x day
    -triflex 3 pills aday
    -1cc injected of b12 eod
    -bsn syntha 6 protein 2-3 x day
    -sans infusion mrp 1x day
    going to the animal pack has saved me a shit ton of money. its 11 pills. i used to buy everything seperate....
    syntha 6 for me is by far the best protein out there, its blended. i have tried them all.
    infusion is an mrp, i like its make up the best for my breakfast shake.

i used animal flex for my joints but it did not work as well as triflex for me. triflex is spendy but well worth it.

the stuff i take and amounts arent recommended for the average gimp but for a more active athlete.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

** NOTE: please don't post here bragging about being supplent free or how these products don't work, that's not why I started this thread. Supplement free? good for you... keep it to yourself.
    I'm not going to "brag" that I'm "supplement-free", though I am. I do take a single daily multi-vitamin and if I don't forget, an additional 500-1000mgs of vitamin C too. In my opinion, that's plenty. I eat a lousy diet and hardly drink any plain water... mainly sugary drinks with my mainstay being coffee with cream & sugar. Let me add, I don't do any extra exercises either, I'm just plain lazy. I don't recommend my diet or lifestyle to anyone... especially when ya add in 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day. Ouch. Oh, I'm 6' 1" (used to be!) and about 20 pounds overweight. I do need to quit the smokes and start pushing this chair around the block a few times a day. It's cool enough in FL now, so I have no excuse.

I was wondering if anyone knows how their SCI'd body compares to a normal body in terms of calories and nutrients used or burned on a daily basis? I'm a T-4 para and I figure (just a wild guess) that I use or burn about 1/5 of what an able-bodied person does, doing normal daily activities. And if you're a quad, you use or burn even less. Normal large leg muscles alone use about (??) 5 times the energy that arm muscles use. Not to mention the abdominal and back muscles etc. that are used in simple walking, standing motionless and even sitting motionless. Most of us are just arms, shoulders and heads that are supported by our wheelchair's sling and backrest or our mattress when laying in bed. I imagine that I'd need to do about 100- maybe 200- twenty pound weighted arm curls to equal an able-bodied person who just gets up from a seated position, takes 1 step and sits back down. I have no idea how to compare an able-bodied person's energy usage to a gimp like me.

I just looked up the Universal Animal Pak Sports Nutrition Supplement to see what it is. I figured it was an all-in-one super-dooper vitamin and supplement product with whatever other good stuff gym rats think they need... and it is. But a normal gym rat probably spends an hour or 2 or 3 each day in the gym burning lots of calories and nutrients and whatever, and dripping buckets of sweat. I see 'em doin' it on TV!

So a para or a quad would need to spend 5 to 10 more time, more hours, exercising... that could be up to 5-8-10-15-20 hours a damn day. Am I way off base here?

If this is true then a para or a quad would need like 1/5 to even 1/10 of the calories and nutrients, etc. of an average gym rat. Taking all of this supplemental stuff, if you don't need it or your body can't use it, is just creating expensive urine. Or even worse, it could be building up to perhaps toxic levels in your body.

I guess the question could boiled down to or be put like this. How many pounds of Universal Animal Pak Sports Nutrition Supplement does it take to put on a pound of muscle?

I'm not here to screw up your thread but when I looked up what's in the Animal-Pak product, it got me to thinking.

Oh, and ya wanna see Madison Avenue at it best... or worst? Puffery? Look at this list of descriptors that are in just 3 short paragraphs, describing what the Universal Animal-Pak Sports Nutrition Supplement product is all about. It's kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal-Pak

Product Description

ultimate
    weapon
    intense
    pro
    elite
    world-class
    enhanced
    increased
    energy
    optimum
    advanced
    highest
    light years ahead
    perfect
    loaded
    beats
    complex
    mega
    essential
    pure
    powerful
    better
    scientifically
    vital
    high potency
    energizers
    serious
    like an animal
    blast
    hard-core
    strength
    maximizing
    gains
    mass
    performance
    no better
    quality
    cutting-edge
    strength
    nothing beats
    enhancers
    optimum
    shook the world
    vital
    key
    The Food Supplement motto:

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease... it's intended to make money.

I'll shut up now.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

geez noone else takes sups WTF......

this is a good thread chime in ppl
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I pay the closest attention to my diet first, it's the foundation to add supplements to. Organic as possible, no fried, no red meat, variety, etc... I used to play in the mountains every week and could eat a pizza a day if I wanted to and stay in great shape. 1st thing I realized in this gdamn chair is that I had to redesign my diet.

That said, I am fairly good about taking the following on a daily (or so) basis:
    - I drink an "emergen-c" pack first thing in the morning with a big glass of water (1000mg of Vit C and a bunch of other added stuff).

- B-12 inj, L-Carnatine, L-Glutamine
    - Calcium/Magnesium really helps combat my tone
    - R-lipoic acid - strong anti-oxidant
    - Flax, Hemp or Fish oil (rotate)

Other than that, I have a drawer full of this or that I dip into on a non-regular basis.
    I usually eat some brand of protein bar after my workouts. Just recently had my blood levels checked for deficiencies and everything was good or better. I try not to obsess about any of it though, if I miss a day or two it doesn't bother me because I am confident in my diet. My body looks about the same as it did before the injury 2+ years post.

1,000 Calcium Citrate
    750 mg Magnesium Citrate
    Multi Vitamin with 1,000 mg Vit D, low Vit A, low Iron
    plus extra:
    25 mg Vit B1
    25 mg Vit B2
    300 mg B5
    400 mcg Vit B9
    800 mcg Vit B12
    1,000 Vit C
    400 IU Vit E
    200 mcg Selenium
    25 mg Zinc
    Acidophilus Complex 1 billion
    1,000 mg l-lysine

plus whatever I forgot

I split all of them & take them at 7 am & 7 pm
    Last edited by Mona~on~wheels; 11-14-2008 at 03:13 PM.

I take all the normal vitamins
    I use all BSN products
    Lean Body or Muscle Milk ready to drink
    http://www.eggwhites-international.com/ great for veggie omlet..
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com