Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with the Ticket To Work program?

questions about ticket to work program

My first time posting on this forum so hope that I'm doing things right. I'm from Milwaukie, Oregon which is close to Portland, Oregon. I'm thinking about using my ticket to work. If anyone can give me information, how the program works. How to I find a list of places that will take my ticket. Anyone have luck with the Ticket to Work program that lives in Oregon? Any advise on how to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dustyrose

This is from the 2010 "Red Book" from Social Security. which lists work incentives.

Where do I get more information?
    For more information on Ticket to Work, including a list of approved Employment Networks, contact the SSA Ticket Program Operations Support Manager, MAXIMUS, at their toll free numbers: 1-866-YOURTICKET (1-866-968-7842) or for TTY/TDD call 1-866-833-2967 between 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time (Monday through Friday).
    Information about the Ticket to Work Program can be found online at www.socialsecurity.gov/aboutticket.html or www.yourtickettowork.com.

Hope it helps.

I got as far as the list of available employers or agencies that hire people. None of them checked out as legit. None of them. Just more work at home scams.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Be really careful

I went through months of pain and suffering and ended up crippled for life as a result of a fall from a ladder while working construction. I was on disability. The problem I encountered was that there are government funded agencies that are supposedly "Employment Networks" that take your ticket to work voucher and once having received it, find some stupid excuse to say that they are no longer willing to work with you. They find some excuse to disqualify you and then keep your ticket to work so that they can get a credit from the government. Also, you might want to read an article that someone wrote concerning this scam: Trick Us To Work
    Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc View Post
    I've been involved with the Ticket To Work program for the last two and a half months and am wondering how others have fared with the program. Anyone have a good or bad experience? My experience with the program isn't that good so far, although it's definitely fair to partially blame the current economy for being unable to find work after two and a half months of searching.

A bit of history on me is that I recently (August to be exact) finished a graduate degree in Health Services Administration. Thought that because of my undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems, that I would be able to quickly score a job working with Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) or something technology-based as part of a healthcare organization. I was wrong. Somewhere around ninety-percent of my employment applications immediately hit the recycle bin because I have a roughly four-year employment gap (two and a half solid years for repeat surgeries, rehabilitation, and just becoming accustomed to SCI and then eighteen months for my graduate degree) on my resume.

Back to the Ticket To Work program, I'm not finding the whole situation very beneficial. With me, because I already know what I want to do and have finished the necessary training, what I really needed from this program were job leads. After an initial session with the Vocational Rehab counselor, I was assigned to a consulting firm that apparently finds more "professional" jobs for people with disabilities. There help has been largely in guiding me through my professional interests and making sure I can interview well, not necessarily on finding job leads. I was hoping that this consulting firm would have a great deal of inside contacts that would improve my chances of being interviewed, but that has largely not been the case as most job leads presented to me by the consulting firm have been through simple online job searches. Through the few leads that the consulting firm has given me, plus the fifty or so jobs I've found myself, I've only landed three in-person interviews.

So in the last two and a half months I've applied for roughly fifty positions and have had three in-person interviews. I have been denied for two of the three positions. Just yesterday I was told that another candidate was chosen for a job that I thought the interview went great. I was nearly certain that I would get the job, but apparently not.

I'm trying to figure out what more I should be doing to improve my chances of employment. I write cover letters, follow-up with calls after submitting a job application, and also write thank you letters. In the cover letters or follow-up calls, I establish that my employment gap was due to an accident and while I had to go through surgeries/rehabilitation, I am 100% capable of completing the tasks of the job.

What else should I be doing? Is your experience the same as mine with the Ticket to Work program? Anyone by chance have a contact for someone in the Portland or Vancouver area that is somewhat in my field? Really appreciate all the help.

Question afraid to use ticket to work

I absolutely rely on my SSDI check for my livelihood so I can not afford to loose it or have it reduced. I just want to test working just to see if I can handle it, but my fear is that once I get entangled with Social Security Admin, I will have "rocked the boat" and therefore, create a hassle for myself.

My SSDI does not cover my overhead, as small as it is. I want to supplement it.

I need to know how to not dig myself into a new hole if I use my TTW voucher? I did already talk to a VR counselor, it didn't seem like he could do much for me that I haven't done already for myself. So I've held off on assigning my ticket.

I appreciate any insight.

Do Not Use Ticket To Work

You will lose all of your benefits, including health care. There are blogs out there about it. Google. Ticket to Work Blogspot.

It is "Trick Us To Work" as the blogger above mentioned. It is not to help us, it's to help them.

Go to Work, lose your benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Mildman View Post
    I went through months of pain and suffering and ended up crippled for life as a result of a fall from a ladder while working construction. I was on disability. The problem I encountered was that there are government funded agencies that are supposedly "Employment Networks" that take your ticket to work voucher and once having received it, find some stupid excuse to say that they are no longer willing to work with you. They find some excuse to disqualify you and then keep your ticket to work so that they can get a credit from the government. Also, you might want to read an article that someone wrote concerning this scam: Trick Us To Work
    Are you okay with losing your benefits when you go to work? That is what is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous2 View Post
    You will lose all of your benefits, including health care. There are blogs out there about it. Google. Ticket to Work Blogspot.

It is "Trick Us To Work" as the blogger above mentioned. It is not to help us, it's to help them.
    Question: Why are you posting here and why are you posting this? You are a new member, and all you wrote was three identical messages about this program. No profile, no information about your personal bad experience with Ticket to Work. Little or no credibility.

(KLD)

different question, can i work part time without effecting my benefits, without going through the tix to work program. i have got 3 different answers from ss office. the last one says as long as im under the 720.00 a month its ok. just have to pay taxes on it.

I am not sure how this works but for now I've enrolled through DOR so that at least I may be able to get my books for school paid for. I am not sure if it will do me any good yet, I won't know until next semester, since this semester is already started.

It doesn't look too promising so far. They are supposed to pay for my transportation and clothing for interviews. We'll see how this pans out. If they don't benefit me, I'll find a way to get out of it. ( hopefully ) since I can't afford to loose my benefits either.