Thread: Permobil Problem

Permobil Problem

I have now owned my Permobil C500 VS for three weeks. Everything seemed to be going great, until last night. I'm hearing a "clicking" sound from the undercarriage (right where the main wheels are). The wheels sound like a bicycle with a trading card caught in the spokes. Come to think of it my previous Chairman stander had this issue, only not as loud. So maybe all Permobil's experience this? I've uploaded an .mp3 to maybe give you guys a better idea of the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck1 View Post
    I have now owned my Permobil C500 VS for three weeks. Everything seemed to be going great, until last night. I'm hearing a "clicking" sound from the undercarriage (right where the main wheels are). The wheels sound like a bicycle with a trading card caught in the spokes. Come to think of it my previous Chairman stander had this issue, only not as loud. So maybe all Permobil's experience this? I've uploaded an .mp3 to maybe give you guys a better idea of the sound.
    you have a problem, my chair is quiet.

Mine sounds like that when I get something stuck between the wheels on the frame but that sounds like a major motor issue. Better be contacting your dealer immediately to get that taken care of

I have a C300, not sure if the motors are different but my chair is as quiet as can be. Definitely sounds like you have a problem

If it sounds like its due to vibration, it may be from a piece of sheet metal directly behind the wheel. It has a corner which comes close to the shroud near the battery box. I have had several C500's come in where this corner touches the shroud and makes a, irritating, but harmless, noise when the chair is in motion. A piece of double sided tape between the shroud and sheet metal will eliminate the vibration. It seems like Permobil should secure the sheet metal with an additional screw which would dampen the vibration. I'm perplexed they haven't fixed the problem because it makes a very well engineered powerchair seem like it has poor build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    If it sounds like its due to vibration, it may be from a piece of sheet metal directly behind the wheel. It has a corner which comes close to the shroud near the battery box. I have had several C500's come in where this corner touches the shroud and makes a, irritating, but harmless, noise when the chair is in motion. A piece of double sided tape between the shroud and sheet metal will eliminate the vibration. It seems like Permobil should secure the sheet metal with an additional screw which would dampen the vibration. I'm perplexed they haven't fixed the problem because it makes a very well engineered powerchair seem like it has poor build quality.

Like an invacare piece of garbage.

I replaced my chairman 2K last February with a C500. The comments here about the C500 being quiet contradict my experience. The motors are much louder than they were on the chairman. I also thought that the chairman was more responsive and maneuverable. A couple of months ago I had to have one of the motors replaced and it took two tries to get it right. It's a good thing I kept the chairman as a backup.