Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Do Fish Feel Pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasyrose2 View Post
    OJ,
    I'm knocking on wood and hoping to avouid the freezer and the Finquel, but TYVM for the tip.
    If you do end up with sick fish, and unfortunately with pet store fish it's pretty common sometimes, there are actually a number fish medications that do work very well and will often save the fish--although sometimes you have to go through the effort of isolating them from other fish during the treatment.

Of course, it depends on how much you are willing to spend in order to save a fish that might cost you just a few dollars. In the past 2 years I have probably spent $150 on antibiotics trying to save one $3 Walmart fish that I had grown very attached to, but has gotten very sick twice. My family thought I was crazy. Oh well. I was very happy it lived.
    Last edited by orangejello; 11-15-2008 at 05:54 PM.

I think regardless if it is called pain, experience or instinct, -most animals will avoid what we as humans call pain, and their possible death. Some animals knows about risks involved like when hunting food, but they expose themselves into that hunt only in a smart way, like you seldom see animals involving themselves into fights they most likely can’t win. Most animals are very eager to continue living. Thus giving animals pain and do like for example the Spaniards bullfighters does for human enjoyment, is as low as it gets. I cheer every time I hear a toreador gets hurt to feel some pain.

Quote Originally Posted by duge
    One new question here Doc. If I catch a fish and take a knife and stick it in the back or body of that fish and it jerks, wouldn't you consider that pain??
    Duge, I believe that a fish can feel pain under certain circumstances. These cicumstances include when the fish is conscious and just lying there while you stab it with a knife. I am not sure that a fish feels that much pain when it is in a state of panic and thrashing around while escaping.

But, let me you the question in relationship to a human. I am sure that you remember Terri Schiavo. She had very little cortex left... mostly midbrain and brainstem. However, she had reflexive responses to noxious stimulation. Do you think that she could feel pain?

If Terri Schiavo could remember and learn to respond to pain, do you think that this would be evidence of pain? In the same way, if a fish can remember a painful stimuli and responds by escaping, would you consider that fish to be capable of feeling pain?

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi
    Nice fish sir ...are they carp?I watched a documentary on Discovery Channel regarding carp and gene mutations.Cool colors.
    Avi, koi are Japanese carp (Cyprinus carpio).

Wise.

[quote=Wise Young;951667]Duge, I believe that a fish can feel pain under certain circumstances. These cicumstances include when the fish is conscious and just lying there while you stab it with a knife. I am not sure that a fish feels that much pain when it is in a state of panic and thrashing around while escaping.

But, let me you the question in relationship to a human. I am sure that you remember Terri Schiavo. She had very little cortex left... mostly midbrain and brainstem. However, she had reflexive responses to noxious stimulation. Do you think that she could feel pain?

If Terri Schiavo could remember and learn to respond to pain, do you think that this would be evidence of pain? In the same way, if a fish can remember a painful stimuli and responds by escaping, would you consider that fish to be capable of feeling pain?

Ok Doc, this is complicated so I am going to have to think about this one for a while, and thinking for me is a very big job