Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: Walking incomplete paras question

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    this past weekend, I drove about 2.5 hours to my dads ranch. didn't use my chair at all, even got into the shower, without crutches and showered standing up. I just tapped the wall when I got off balance. it sure was a work out. I am starting to notice the importance of gluts, and also tightening my core when trying to do quick maneuvers like turn, or get up from a low sitting level.

hey quick question. I think I know why I cant use a cane. its my bad leg.

here's the problem, now that I can move all my muscles, I am puzzled at this.....

when Im lying down on my stomach, I can bend my leg back to wear my heel hits my butt, but on my bad leg, I can't. only when someone brings it halfway that then I can bend it the rest of the way down to my butt. what muscle does that? bends your legs when you're flat on your stomach? is it a combination? why cant i get it up from a flat position, but cant grab the muscle and pull my leg down the rest of the way when its brought half way? its should be the same damn muscle, no?

On my good leg, I can now bring my knee all the way up to my stomach/chest, but on my weak leg, its like it gets up to about stair length, then gets stuck. almost like it decides to tense up. like someone is holding it from going up higher. it cant be the hip flexor, so maybe my knee is too tight? I dont get it

Hey, Imight, check out this 2 videos I found about leg muscles.I have the same problem with my bad (left) leg. Bending my leg back to wear my heel hits my butt, it's just impossible for me too, without any help. Probably not all of my leg muscles, are working 100 %.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1vBj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19mrF...eature=related

bye

Imight - here is my take on what you are experiencing. I think you are describing the movement of the hamstring but for the first 90 degrees, you are fighting gravity, trying to bring your foot off the table, for the next 90 degrees or until your heel hits your butt, gravity is working in your favor and perhaps that is why you can move your 'bad' leg for that part. You need someone to assist you to help fight gravity. The only other explanation I can come up with is that there could be some spasticity in the antagonist (the quad) for the first 90 degrees that somehow goes away for the remainder of the motion.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    The only other explanation I can come up with is that there could be some spasticity in the antagonist (the quad) for the first 90 degrees that somehow goes away for the remainder of the motion.
    its this. yet i dont know how to rid it. i know its the quad because when I go up steps and try to lift my leg, it goes stiff and straight. after I relax and take deep breathes than im able to lift the leg up the step.

however the quad to push for example from squat to straight is quite strong. so that means only a certain part of my quad is spastic, no? could be lack of strength.

anyone got any good hamstring exercises something to make my hamstring strong enough to break thru the tone. whenver I try to break through it by force, my leg shakes like crazy lol.

Here is a thread about hamstring exercises from last week -

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=117696

getting around

I use same as you in addition I use the shopping cart for shopping. I bend over with elbows over the handle. I haven't bought a wheelchair yet but would sure like one for bigger things like going to the mall and going on extended excursions. I live in a Motorhome so no need for one at home. I live in CA and it is hard with Medical to get anything. I think I would need a motorized chair because of the weakness on my shoulders, neck and arms.

How do you all get your chairs? Do you pay for them?
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.

you need to go to a physiatrist for evaluation. you need a refural from your primary for that. then if a wheelchair is prescribed, probably a quicky 2, you will be fitted, and one will come. or you may rent one from a medical supply. you will also need a prescription from physiatrist for medical to pay for rental.

why dont you get a scooter? seems like you are still getting around some, some fit into a trunk and breack down into three parts. Do you have medicare as well?