Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Those on SSDI, how do you do your taxes?

Those on SSDI, how do you do your taxes?

I just got my statement for SSDI for 2008. What am I supposed to do with it? They didnt take out any taxes, so I am not going to get anything back, but I want to turn in something so that I can pick up the next round of "rebate" checks or whatever free money the gov't wants to throw my direction.

So do those of you who get SSDI (that's all my income) fill out a 1040?

Thanks,

funk

Yes, I fill out an income tax specifically so that I will get the rebate when it is offered. You won't have to pay anything because your SSDI is not taxable, but it puts you in the system to get your stimulus check.

Funklab, this past year was the first year that I've had SSDI. I didn't have any money withheld from my check either. I'm a little bit afraid that I might end up owing money. I'll be interested to know what others say about this.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Danine,
    SSDI is not taxable. If that is the only income you get don't worry about it. The only reason you would pay taxes is if you have other interest from things like stocks, bonds, certificate of deposits, and so on. Something relatively minor, like the interest in a checking account (assuming there aren't VERY big bucks in there) would not push you ove the limit, which I believe is $25,000 per year before you would need to file.

The theory is that if you are on SSDI you already paid taxes on that money when you were earning it, so to tax it again now that you are taking it out of the system would be a sort of double taxation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Danine,
    SSDI is not taxable. If that is the only income you get don't worry about it. The only reason you would pay taxes is if you have other interest from things like stocks, bonds, certificate of deposits, and so on. Something relatively minor, like the interest in a checking account (assuming there aren't VERY big bucks in there) would not push you ove the limit, which I believe is $25,000 per year before you would need to file.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    The theory is that if you are on SSDI you already paid taxes on that money when you were earning it, so to tax it again now that you are taking it out of the system would be a sort of double taxation.
    Thanks Eileen...finally, our government does something that makes sense!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I take mine up to the senior center and they have some ppl come in and do them for free. They allow disabled also, they have been a big help for me.
    When you file make sure that you are filling out the paper that is red on top. It lets them know it is a disability return.

Eileen is corect they can not tax SSDI.

R U SHITTING ME??

SSDI ISN'T TAXABLE???

Holy shit! I need to speak with my accountant!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Danine, You will still want to file so that you will get the stimulus check when they come out, but you don't have to worry about paying anything in taxes on the SSDI that you have received.

No Decaf......or a new accountant?

It's taxable if your income is over some number near 25,000. If you have other income you will have to pay taxes on it. of course if your earned income is over 12,480 you aren't allowed to get SSDI so it should never be an issue. Unearned income that's another story.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.