Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Prejudice Against People with Disabilities

Stopping Prejudice Against People with Disabilities

Hello,

I am posting this blog regarding exposing and stopping prejudice against people with disabilities. The number #1 Most Prejudiced listed by the blog is Aaron Boyd. He has used the internet to post a number of hatefull full statements regarding the disabled.

Please take a look. I am interested in what people think.

http://stopprejudice.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sp123 View Post
    Hello,

I am posting this blog regarding exposing and stopping prejudice against people with disabilities. The number #1 Most Prejudiced listed by the blog is Aaron Boyd. He has used the internet to post a number of hatefull full statements regarding the disabled.

Please take a look. I am interested in what people think.

http://stopprejudice.blogspot.com/
    Aint worth even thinking about, you just do what you gotta do and anybody gets in your way just run em over
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Seriously. Why do you care what a 22 year old punk who thinks he's invincible has to say about you anyways?
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Is this for real?

Meaningless drivel and my guess is that only a bunch of sub-humans read his blog anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kinley View Post
    I am a martial arts teacher. I have been teaching children karate over the last ten years. If a person is having a permanent physical disability he will never be able to do well in martial arts. Moreover it is possible that disabled people get hurt during training sessions because they are competing with students who are having good physical strength. As a result such disabled people are kept away from martial arts. There is no point in calling this practice prejudice.
    First, let me say I did not click on the link in the first post. I don't follow links from first time posters.

Now then, Kinley - With all due respect, your contention that a person having a permanent physical disability "will never do well in martial arts" is quite ridiculous in both the basic premise and the scope with which it is applied.

First, what is the goal of your instruction? If it is to produce a fighter supreme to all others in the world, then you will find very few students with that potential. If, however, you wish to guide each student in learning how they can benefit from the knowledge and practice of martial art skills, then no individual will be excluded.

I recognize that the physical limitations of some students will require adaptations and creativity in crafting the course of study. But no one who has cognitive ability and desire is incapable of participating in some fashion. The benefit to the student will rely more on the ability of the instructor, rather than the physical disability of the student.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

It is becoming more and more acceptable for people with disabilities who are able to control their muscle functions to train. But for people who have compromised neurological or muscular control there remains the stigma that they are unable to do "real" Martial Arts. This is nonsense. In teaching the physically handicapped, the only real limits are imposed by ignorance. But, unfortunately, many teachers are reluctant to take on the teaching challenge and even if accepted, these students often find it difficult to be recognized for the skill and knowledge they obtain. Because they move differently, the beauty of their movement is often neglected. Also, because of compromised neurological or muscular control it takes extra effort for the teacher to find the right movements to go with the student's physical abilities and limitations. But once the connection is made, and one sees the spirit flowing, along with those beautiful movements, one realizes that it is in fact true that Martial Arts is for just about everyone. It only takes the desire to learn and a willing teacher.

That is why when approaching teaching, regardless of who one wishes to teach, one must know his or her own limits as a teacher, and above all, understand the principles underlying his or her own Martial Art. Once one understands the principles, there is NO DIFFERENCE in teaching Martial Arts to different types of students. Martial Arts is the study of Body-Mind-Spirit in equal parts. What the body can't do, the spirit makes up for.
    source
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I am a martial arts teacher. I have been teaching children karate over the last ten years. If a person is having a permanent physical disability he will never be able to do well in martial arts. Moreover it is possible that disabled people get hurt during training sessions because they are competing with students who are having good physical strength. As a result such disabled people are kept away from martial arts. There is no point in calling this practice prejudice.
    Cobra Kia... Never Die!

Kinley, you have a lot to learn about disabled people...and martial arts. Here is a good place to start:
    http://www.disabilitymartialartsassociation.co.uk/

[QI am a martial arts teacher. I have been teaching children karate over the last ten years. If a person is having a permanent physical disability he will never be able to do well in martial arts. Moreover it is possible that disabled people get hurt during training sessions because they are competing with students who are having good physical strength. As a result such disabled people are kept away from martial arts. There is no point in calling this practice prejudice.
    [/QUOTE]
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

This person is not only a troll (check out his profile) but incredibly ignorant. I would advise all to review the other ignorant posts he has placed on our forums, and restrain yourself from responding. Hopefully if no one takes his bait, he will just go away.

(KLD)