Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside Vertical Left

Outside Vertical Left

My 87 year mom can no longer handle the steps in the front of our home. So I'm looking at outside vertical lifts.

Anyone got any recommendations? Any clunkers I should stay away from?

I'm currently checking out . . . . AmeriGlide's Residential Vertical Lift

One of my treater's has an outside lift made by Garaventa, and it seems to work well. I have used it in extreme summer heat and also icy cold winter. She chose to have a little enclosure around it, but it could be installed without one I think.

I made the same post asking for help over at Brain Talk and was promptly banned!

I don't know how to ask for advice if I not allow to state what I want advice on.

Tried looking for senior citizen forums -- can't find them either.

Don't take it personally. Braintalk bans everyone, myself included. You are welcome to ask about brands & models, get feedback and seek advice in this area. We require things for sale or "wanted" ads to be posted in the Equipment and Services forum, but will move them if they get posted here by mistake. The only thing we don't allow and that can lead to banning is spamming and overt advertising of products/services/commercial websites.

How many steps do you need to lift your mother?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Don't take it personally. Braintalk bans everyone, myself included. You are welcome to ask about brands & models, get feedback and seek advice in this area. We require things for sale or "wanted" ads to be posted in the Equipment and Services forum, but will move them if they get posted here by mistake. The only thing we don't allow and that can lead to banning is spamming and overt advertising of products/services/commercial websites.

How many steps do you need to lift your mother?

(KLD)
    Four. Roughly 36" high. Before she broke her hip, she had a hard time because of the arthritis in her knees. She's blind in one eye, since childhood and therefore has no depth perception. This lack of depth perception makes walking on inclines very difficult for her. So if you were going to suggest a ramp - forget it. That would be another accident waiting to happen.

About BrainTalk -- I sent 'em a goodbye message of a few choice words, so I doubt they'll be inviting me back anytime soon.

I had a similar situation a few years ago; was amazed & distressed at how expen$ive these lifts were (about $10k). I didn't need to ascend a full flight - just a few steps in the carport. A eureka moment occurred when I realized the distance needed to raise was similar to that of a full-size van lift!

I bought a used van lift (for $550); a carpenter removed the steps, built a stout platform & frame within which the van lift was mounted; a car mechanic friend hooked up a 12volt battery/charger/wires/switch. It works GREAT!!
    Remember - this is protected from the weather since its located in the carport.
    Best wishes to your mom!

It will be outside. Semi-protected. Under a porch roof, but open to the wind.

I don't think wind would be a problem... unless it carries in rain & snow. I suspect a UVL would be pretty weather-proof.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Don't take it personally. Braintalk bans everyone, myself included....(KLD)
    Maybe we all should invade Braintalk for being rude. Do they give a reason for the bans or just go all ban happy?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

No experience, but I heard someone at the expo recommend Mac's Lift and he said they are the cheapest. macslift.com