Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Housekeeping Tips

Anybody have a good tip for getting the hair of the cats away from ... everything , the sofa, the chairs, my bed, you name it
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Anybody have a good tip for getting the hair of the cats away from ... everything , the sofa, the chairs, my bed, you name it
    my dogs shed less when i use the furminator on them.
    http://www.furminator.com/

it gets insane amounts of hair out, you won't believe it!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    With two furry girls of my own I can tell you that there isn't a single place that is totally cat hair free. I do go through a lot of those lint roller things with the adhesive that just picks the hair up off of fabrics. Having said that I also have to admit that right after I roll one of those around a sweater that I am wearing I look down and, as if by magic, a fresh cat hair or two has arrived.

I have actually used a whole lint roller on my sofa when I was expecting company. I Have lint rollers stashed all over the house and our cars but its like fighting a losing battle.

I mostly used the swifter wetjet for when my dogs dragged mud in the house and never noticed sticky floors from it. A sponge mop would be lighter than the wetjet thing. I do like the dry swifter for the wood floors I think its really good at picking up the dog hair but never have used the wet cloth that came with it just figured it would be dry before I got finished mopping. Like Cali said a wet cloth tied to the dry swifter stick thing would work also and would be a lot lighter than the wetjet. Okay getting confused with all the different swifter products lol.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

LOL, that is my experience too.
    One of the cats is ok, she doesn't loose too much, but the big one, I die. It is hair everywhere.
    TH 12, 43 years post

The swiffer really can't keep up with the dog hair at my house, unless I go through about 3 pads a trip, they get so loaded. I use a dry mop. I like that angle one Betheny posted.

WFE, my husband just bought a rubber brush for the dog and car hair on the furniture. It looks like this. It seems to do a pretty good job.

Quote Originally Posted by uscmolly View Post
    These are GREAT tips so far! It doesn't surprise me that most are from the women though
    My husband does do a LOT more than he used to. (He and my kids had to do it all when I was in the hospital). If I want the vacuuming done right, I really need to hand it to him. (I can;t really move furniture or anything.) And he does things w.o being asked now. Before he was always willing to help, but never noticed it needed doing unless I asked. And right now, the laundry is in the basement, so until the budget allows replacing the washer and dryer (I plan on the front loaders, as mentioned here) he and the kids do the laundry. We have room in the bathroom (will give up storage for it, but whatever). I want a front loading washer, since when I do laundry at my mother's, I need a reacher for fishing out the last of the wash.

OK ... another tip, if you don;t have a front loading washer, keep a reacher handy to get the last few things out.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I don't know why I always make the mistake of calling the swiffer the swifter.

I love my front loading washing machine it sits up on a pedestal so its the perfect height. I use to use coat hangers to drag stuff from the back of the washing machine that got stuck on the bottom when I had the top loading kind.

In the house we are having built I want a central vaccum system (if the budget allows) with a toe kick in the kitchen that way I can just sweep and hit the toe kick with a reacher or whatever and let it suck the dirt up. Right now I use a hand held vac after I sweep to pick it up.

This is turning into a helpful thread for me have already learned a few new tricks like the mop and dog brushes.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Aliya View Post
    I don't know why I always make the mistake of calling the swiffer the swifter.
    my mem calls it a swisser
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Well at least I am not the only one that calls it by the wrong name. Least I just add a t your mem leaves out the f's all together