Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Housekeeping Tips

hmmmm, where is the husband on these boards when you need him?????

Oh RJP where are you??????? Did you see the above?

Callan

Why are wet swiffers bad for dogs?

ETA - Scrubby Bubbles and disinfectant wet wipes are my go to products for touch-ups. The heavy cleaning gets put off until I get in my white tornado mood or receive a second warning by registered mail from the Health Department. Then I use a big broom followed by a professional mop and wringer bucket.

All the cleaning ladies I have hired have been more work than cleaning.

I used to use a Roomba and Scuba. They worked good but had too many charging problems.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 10-31-2008 at 04:19 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

What's housekeeping?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Why are wet swiffers bad for dogs?

ETA - Scrubby Bubbles and disinfectant wet wipes are my go to products for touch-ups. The heavy cleaning gets put off until I get in my white tornado mood or receive a second warning by registered mail from the Health Department. Then I use a big broom followed by a professional mop and wringer bucket.

All the cleaning ladies I have hired have been more work than cleaning.

I used to use a Roomba and Scuba. They worked good but had too many charging problems.
    it's the chemicals in wet swiffers. baby wipes are my best friend if there's something quick to wipe up.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    What's housekeeping?
    Here in the Colonies, we have no Upper Class nor Downstairs Maids. Our Sandhurst-honed accents do not get our silver polished, my friend! Nay, we must struggle along, cooking, cleaning and rearing our young by the sweat of our brows.

(Since they abolished slavery, at least. I think we did have an Upper Class prior to that...)

To everybody that just got their knickers in a knot, yes, I just made a slavery joke. It was not meant to be racist, and I apologize in advance. And yes, we have an Upper Class. I just don't know any of them.

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I have a trick that I use to insure my bed looks made should someone come over to visit. I stand no chance of being able to change my own bed linens, so I have a perfectly made bed with the comforter on it, and then on top of that I have an additional sheet and blanket. If someone is coming over I can drag the top set off and have a nicely looking made bed.
    I use a Swiffer dry cloth on my wood floors, and for the same reason mentioned above, I avoid the wet swiffer's because I think they are harmful for my cats. I simply use a dry swiffer after it has been soaked in water and a little dish detergent to do my bathroom and kitchen floor.
    Dusting is the one area I have yet to figure out. When a friend comes over I usually ask her to run a cloth around quickly all the places I can't reach. I live in a small condo, so it's not like there are rooms and more rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    I just have the ol' lady do it
    While I need to bash Darrel over the head for this one, I forgot to mention one of my best tips ....

teenagers!

Also, adjusting your expectations. Because

1, you have teenagers helping out (I never said they were always good at it) and

2, even though I am capable of doing most of the stuff I used to, it doesn't always get down at the level as before, either b/c the extra effort involved, or possibility the inability to do the chore to the same ability ..... leverage I guess?

So, sometimes, pick what is important. No one else cares you haven;t dusted the top shelves since 2005.

(Although I admit. I cannot clean the little bathroom. 26" door, and I am NOT crawling in to clean it. I have been known to warn company that I am not sure of the status of it, as I haven;t been in it in three years. I guess .... pointing fingers to who is to take the blame if it isn;t up to par?
    Last edited by sjean423; 10-31-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I have a trick that I use to insure my bed looks made should someone come over to visit. I stand no chance of being able to change my own bed linens, so I have a perfectly made bed with the comforter on it, and then on top of that I have an additional sheet and blanket. If someone is coming over I can drag the top set off and have a nicely looking made bed.
    I use a Swiffer dry cloth on my wood floors, and for the same reason mentioned above, I avoid the wet swiffer's because I think they are harmful for my cats. I simply use a dry swiffer after it has been soaked in water and a little dish detergent to do my bathroom and kitchen floor.
    Dusting is the one area I have yet to figure out. When a friend comes over I usually ask her to run a cloth around quickly all the places I can't reach. I live in a small condo, so it's not like there are rooms and more rooms.
    i'm sure they have extending contraptions out there that could help you out.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    i'm sure they have extending contraptions out there that could help you out.
    Hi Cali,
    I'm sure you're right about extension sticks or something. I just don't trust that the Waterford wouldn't end up in pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    A couple of summers ago my daughter was doing it that way ..... comforter on top of made bed!

I need too many covers to stay warm, I'd have a huge pile of blankets to hide. What I do is use a big fluffy comforter on top. On my way out of bed, I pull everything as straight as I can. (Hubby usually pulls up his side when he gets up, but when I am alone his side stays neat. For some reason, I don;t seem to toss and turn much any more? ) Then from the chair I flip the comforter up, and straighten it out with a reacher. It is pretty forgiving about hiding wrinkles.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005