Thread: Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

About two weeks ago I tipped over backwards in my chair trying to jump over a door threshold. I tried to get my arm behind my head to cushion the fall but was a little late hence my melon made contact with the cement driveway. Long story short about four days ago when I sat up in bed to get dressed the entire room started to spin around just like in my old drinking days. Doing a google search I came up with this possible cause. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. According to the information from my goggle search it seems that this is caused by some type of crystals breaking free in my inner ear. There seems to be a couple of possible fixes for this. However one requires another person and one is a self help type. I was wondering if anyone has done the self help method and if so did you have any luck with it.

Thanks

Nevada, I'm no health care professional but this could be more serious than a simple inner ear infection/problem. Please go to the doctor, especially since you hit your head. I was diagnosed with benign positional vertigo by an idiot ER doctor; later I found out I had a lesion on my brain stem. Not trying to scare you...just letting you know that what you have could be more serious than an inner ear thing.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Not something easy to diagnose, especially for self-diagnosis. If you think that this has become a chronic condition (and not just common dizziness that occurs after a concussion for several weeks or months), then you need to see both a neurologist and probably an ENT to have tests done to determine if you in fact now have an inner ear problem.

(KLD)

There are other things that can cause vertigo even weeks after a fall like that. Please see your doctor ASAP and be examined. At the minimum any vertigo can be more hazardous to you during transfers and other activities risking you for more falls. Do not self diagnose. Do what KLD advises.
    1FineSpineRN

Nevada, I think you are referring to the Epley Maneuver. http://www.epleyclinic.com/poc.htm My friend had it done and he was very pleased. But his dizziness didn't stem from bonking his head on cement. That said, don't be foolish and self diagnose your dizziness after sustaining a head injury with a Google search. Go to a doc and have him check you out first....you might have injured yourself more than you realize.

The crystals you refer to are called otoliths. They can "get stuck" in the wrong places and cause the type of vertigo you refer to. There are therapies to reposition them that are basically thumping your melon to loosen them from their stuck positions. First though you should make absolutely sure that this in indeed the problem and not something more serious such as a hematoma. Vertigo is a beeyotch.

Nevada,

I recommend that you take your vitals (bp, heartrate) first laying down, then immediately after you obtain an upright position to see if there are any changes related to you SCI. This will determine if you have Postural Hypo-Hypertention.

Joe

the lesson to learn from this is anti-tips on the chair.

i rocked my noggin too much.

i don't mess around now.

Nevada - I agree that you should consider seeing an Otolaryngologist (ENT doctor). They can do an audiovestibular workup. That could rule out more serious disorders. He/She may order a CT scan also. But if I were a betting man, I believe you have what you think you have - BPV secondary to banging your melon.
    I have experience with the Eppley procedure ( this is the series of positional movements to get the otoliths into the vestibule). I have seen it work many times but it only works for true Benign positional vertigo and not just any non specific vertigenous conditions.
    Question: Is your vertigo reproducible with a particular head movement?
    -