Thread: Part time school and VR

Part time school and VR

I am curious. Has anyone on here in any state been able to go to school part time and have VR pay for it? Here they say full time load or not at all. This is nearly impossible with 2 kids and working.

I am just curious how other states work. Anyone using VR do you mind asking if part time is an option. I am curious and need ammunition for these people at my VR office for next semester.

The VR (In NJ) told me that I'd have to go full time, which I did. While attending school I met someone (from the same VR agency) who was receiving funding for part time attendance, so I guess VR makes exceptions.

You can appeal any decision made by VR. I am a retired VR counselor, I would definitely appeal this. First step will probably be a informal review with office district mgr. If he/she doesn't approve your plan ask to go to the next step, formal appeal procedure. I suggest 1st you contact your local Center for Independent Living (CIL) and get an advocate there to help you and attend these meetings with you. Don't be adversarial with any staff, just politely stick to your guns. You are supposed to be the formulator of your rehab plan.

The district manager is the one who is adamantly against me going part time. I can deal with full time while I am taking online classes but it's almost to the point I am going to have to start going to campus which is about an hour away. I can't manage that drive so many days a week and care for my kids and keep my job.

When I first started going back to school from my injury, i was part-time and VR covered it...I'll talk to my counselor and see if they know if it's a missouri thing or if other states do this.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    You can appeal any decision made by VR. I am a retired VR counselor, I would definitely appeal this. First step will probably be a informal review with office district mgr. If he/she doesn't approve your plan ask to go to the next step, formal appeal procedure. I suggest 1st you contact your local Center for Independent Living (CIL) and get an advocate there to help you and attend these meetings with you. Don't be adversarial with any staff, just politely stick to your guns. You are supposed to be the formulator of your rehab plan.
    Believe it or not,each state is supposed to have a Client Assistance Program to help you with these problems. Your VR agency has them listed and should have given you info about the when you applied.

I've been able to go part time on a couple of occasions. When I broke my leg 3 weeks into the semester and the schools elevator wasn't big enough for my leg sticking straight out and a couple of semesters I went when they didn't offer the classes I needed. They didn't want to pay for a class not part of my program so I took three, instead of four.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    Believe it or not,each state is supposed to have a Client Assistance Program to help you with these problems. Your VR agency has them listed and should have given you info about the when you applied.
    Here is the information addisue. They will tell you your rights in this matter if you feel your getting no answers with your counselor:

http://tennessee.gov/humanserv/rehab/vrcap.htm

[quote]
    Resource Name: Tennessee Client Assistance Program
    Associated Organization: Disability Law and Advocacy Center
    Country of Origin: USA
    Address: Disability Law and Advocacy Center
    2670 Union Avenue, Extended
    Suite 900
    City: Memphis
    State or Province: TN