Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baclofen

baclofen

What is the feeling out there regarding the use of baclofen for spasm. My husband who is a recent (july,'08) SCI (C6-7) was started on 5mg at night for his leg spasms which are interfering with hygiene. Not causing pain, but causing him to grunt. We are so afraid they may become worse. How long does it take for the medication to start working? What are the side effects? We know there are benefits to spasms such as return of blood to the heart and we know that it affects the liver and can cause hypotension and drowsiness. Have any of you any strong feelings about this??
    Thank you, Brenda
    Brenda

I took my son off the Baclofen immediately. He is on Dantrium 100 mg - 1 am and 1 pm. He still has pretty crazy spasms, but we feel the less meds he is on the better. As far as the spasms go, his legs look just as good as the day he got hurt - 4 yrs. ago. We believe it's primarily due to the spasms.

I was on 20 mg four times a day. Then I lowered the dosage to 10 MG four times a day and I noticed really no difference.

I've been on it 17 yrs & wouldn't want to be w/o it.

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    I've been on it 3 month now (20mg QID) and it's helped me so far. My legs don't try to throw me out of the chair any more
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

It made me horribly dopey. I ended up with a pump actually because of the amount of med I needed to control the spasms. Remember, you only want to control the spasms to the point that you can manage. Tone is good for you, so you don't want to end up completely flaccid. Just loose enough to work with.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks you..Brenda
    Brenda

Sorry, never saw this thread till now.
    Brenda, I am also with sjean, I was maxed out on the dosage of Baclofen and tried dantrium and a few other drugs that I can't remember the names of, to control the spasms. I do remember how terribly drowsy the Baclofen would make me (20 min after taking dosage I would nap). You are right about it messing with the liver, I remember every three months going in for blood work to check it out. I to have the pump now.

I was on 120 mg a day before I got a pump. That's quite a bit above the 80 mg a day max that you're supposed to be on and I've had no problems with my liver or kidneys. I think it would be plenty save to give him more to get rid of some of those spasms. Mine would get so bad that my legs would kick straight out and my abdominal muscles would kick in, my sides would spasm and pull me over the side of the chair, my back would spasm and straighten me out and I would slide down in my chair, and sometimes it would even hit my shoulders. While a little bit of spasms are good, especially if they can be useful and you can kick them in with trigger points, too many spasms can be dangerous. As long as you follow the doctors instructions, his kidneys and liver should be alright, just get those spasms down so he doesn't get hurt.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    What is the feeling out there regarding the use of baclofen for spasm. My husband who is a recent (july,'08) SCI (C6-7) was started on 5mg at night for his leg spasms which are interfering with hygiene. Not causing pain, but causing him to grunt. We are so afraid they may become worse. How long does it take for the medication to start working? What are the side effects? We know there are benefits to spasms such as return of blood to the heart and we know that it affects the liver and can cause hypotension and drowsiness. Have any of you any strong feelings about this??
    Thank you, Brenda
    I'M C6-C7 AND I STOPPED TAKING BACLOFEN A YEAR AGO. I CONTROL MY SPASMS WITH WARM WATER , EXERCISE AND EMPTY MY BOWELS EVERYDAY . I FEEL MUCH BETTER SINCE I'M FREE OF DRUGS. FINALLY! NO THANKS , DRUG COMPANIES