Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just saw Religulous and it was great!!

I just saw Religulous and it was great!!

If you haven't seen Religulous yet by Bill Maher then hit the cinemas! I just came back from it and it was hilarious! I'm not partial to any one religion. I still believe in god but not a particular god. Once you see the movie you may understand where I'm coming from with my opinion. But the most eye opening facts of the movie were at the end when he was talking to someone regarding religions that all seem to have the same story line. I don't remember all of them because, yes I admit it, I was a bit stoned so I looked some up on the internet but all I found was the connection between the Egyptians and Christianity. I did not write what you see below. He showed the similiarities between at least 5 or more and holy crap its wierd!!

Christians, take a look at the above statue. Does it look like your beloved Jesus? Alot of people think it does. The question, is it?

Technically it's RA, the sun god from ancient Egypt. I've always been amazed at the similarities both physically and mythological to religion of ancient Egypt and christianity. It's almost as if the bible, and the stories we claim are an innovation of Jesus, might actually be an evolved, mutated version of ancient Egypt. Of course that would mean Christianity would have also had to have derived from the Greek/roman god Zeus. But then again have you ever seen the face of Zeus... he does remarkably appear very alike to Jesus and his looks.

Is it the evolution of the Egyptians Sun-Son, Soul-Spirit, God- that gave us the Holy Trinity? Is Ra's voyage to the underworld a parallel for Jesus's visitation?

Not everyone think Ra was Jesus. Some think it was Horus. But when religion was compressed down to one deity, the combination of Ra as a figurehead... as the sun god, and the stories of Horus, make for a strikingly similar reading.

After all the book of the Dead, gives us the following facts:

His mother was a woman called Meri
    His father was called Jo-Sep
    His father was of royal descent
    His birth was heralded by a star
    His birth was witnessed by Shepherds
    King Herut tried to have him killed
    He was 30 when baptised
    His baptiser went on to be beheaded
    He was followed by 12 disciples
    He walked on water and healed the sick
    He gave a 'sermon on the mount'
    He was crucified
    ...between 2 thieves
    He was buried in a tomb
    He was resurrected after 3 days

My Thought : Isn't that (the above) what happened in the bible?

http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1133

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
    If you haven't seen Religulous yet by Bill Maher then hit the cinemas! I just came back from it and it was hilarious! I'm not partial to any one religion. I still believe in god but not a particular god. Once you see the movie you may understand where I'm coming from with my opinion. But the most eye opening facts of the movie were at the end when he was talking to someone regarding religions that all seem to have the same story line. I don't remember all of them because, yes I admit it, I was a bit stoned so I looked some up on the internet but all I found was the connection between the Egyptians and Christianity. I did not write what you see below. He showed the similiarities between at least 5 or more and holy crap its wierd!!

Christians, take a look at the above statue. Does it look like your beloved Jesus? Alot of people think it does. The question, is it?

Technically it's RA, the sun god from ancient Egypt. I've always been amazed at the similarities both physically and mythological to religion of ancient Egypt and christianity. It's almost as if the bible, and the stories we claim are an innovation of Jesus, might actually be an evolved, mutated version of ancient Egypt. Of course that would mean Christianity would have also had to have derived from the Greek/roman god Zeus. But then again have you ever seen the face of Zeus... he does remarkably appear very alike to Jesus and his looks.

Is it the evolution of the Egyptians Sun-Son, Soul-Spirit, God- that gave us the Holy Trinity? Is Ra's voyage to the underworld a parallel for Jesus's visitation?

Not everyone think Ra was Jesus. Some think it was Horus. But when religion was compressed down to one deity, the combination of Ra as a figurehead... as the sun god, and the stories of Horus, make for a strikingly similar reading.

After all the book of the Dead, gives us the following facts:

His mother was a woman called Meri
    His father was called Jo-Sep
    His father was of royal descent
    His birth was heralded by a star
    His birth was witnessed by Shepherds
    King Herut tried to have him killed
    He was 30 when baptised
    His baptiser went on to be beheaded
    He was followed by 12 disciples
    He walked on water and healed the sick
    He gave a 'sermon on the mount'
    He was crucified
    ...between 2 thieves
    He was buried in a tomb
    He was resurrected after 3 days

My Thought : Isn't that (the above) what happened in the bible?

http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1133
    The above 'facts' were fed to me all my life from Jewish outreach programs and youth groups as ammunition to keep Jewish people from converting to Christianity. I do not know if they are true or not. But the 'he' that you refer to you in the movie did not come up with the above as the rumor, true or not, has been around for as long as I can remember.

God has been fore shadowing the Messiah (Jesus Christ) since he founded the world and of time as we know it. Just because many have seen God's glory from days of old does not mean they can take it as their own. Back before Moses, the children (child) delivered the Egyptians from a terrible drought. Here's proof.

Gen 41:33 Now therefore let Pharaoh look out a man discreet and wise, and set him over the land of Egypt.
    Gen 41:34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, and take up the fifth part of the land of Egypt in the seven plenteous years.
    Gen 41:35 And let them gather all the food of those good years that come, and lay up corn under the hand of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities.
    Gen 41:36 And that food shall be for store to the land against the seven years of famine, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine.
    Gen 41:37 And the thing was good in the eyes of Pharaoh, and in the eyes of all his servants.
    Gen 41:38 And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?
    Gen 41:39 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:
    Gen 41:40 Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou.
    Gen 41:41 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt.
    Gen 41:42 And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph's hand, and arrayed him in vestures of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck;
    Gen 41:43 And he made him to ride in the second chariot which he had; and they cried before him, Bow the knee: and he made him ruler over all the land of Egypt.
    Gen 41:44 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I am Pharaoh, and without thee shall no man lift up his hand or foot in all the land of Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Adino View Post
    Here's proof.
    That's what's wrong with purveyors of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome View Post
    But the 'he' that you refer to you in the movie did not come up with the above as the rumor, true or not, has been around for as long as I can remember.
    No shit, Sean! I don't think he meant this is new material, but only that it's being presented in a widely released film and is reaching many who've never known these other beliefs existed.

I attended Catholic elementary school through Catholic college. The only thing that stuck with me was that jesus loved all unconditionally. I discarded the rest.
    The religions (I know of) seem to forget this. That's why I reject religion.

Looking forward to seeing this.
    Fubar, do you watch Real Time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I attended Catholic elementary school through Catholic college. The only thing that stuck with me was that jesus loved all unconditionally. I discarded the rest.
    The religions (I know of) seem to forget this. That's why I reject religion.

Looking forward to seeing this.
    Fubar, do you watch Real Time?
    Hi Jim,

No I saw in the theatres. There is a cinema near my house that has $5 movie night on Tuesday so its good on the wallet. Better than spending $12-12 on the ticket alone oh and I have a card from the Easter Seals of Canada (or Ontario) which allows 1 person in free that is with me. Anyways, the movie was great, it did deem a tad redundent towards the end but he was trying to make a point and you see his point at the end of the movie. I won't give anything away yet. See the movie and tell me what you think. The ending was the biggest eye-opener for me. I had no idea about the facts he was stating.

To hardluckhitshome, I cleary did not mean that Bill Maher was the originator of the facts that I wrote out. In fact, if you look back at my post, you'll notice there is a link to website and once you view that website you will see the very same paragraph..word-for-word. Sorry I don't mean to be rude.

I saw it a couple weeks ago and thought it was a great movie.

The Catholics seemed to be the most rational and outgoing out of all
    the people that Bill interviewed.

it made me want to go to the christian theme park to laugh.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

I saw Bill Maher being interviewed by Stroumboulopoulos on The Hour. I loved his 'Jewish fairytales' comment on the Bible.

I never get out to movies but this one is on my must see list