Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder That Doesn't Taste Like Cardboard?

Amanda I just found out soy protein has hormones in it.
    Ruined it for me.

+1

EAS 'nilla works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    We've tried a few different brands. Our favorite for flavor (vanilla) and texture is

EAS Premium Protein "blend of 3 proteins" (whey, soy, casein)
    Per serving: 27g protein, 140 calories

Costco - 6 lbs for about $35. They have chocolate too but we haven't tried it.

My dad eats 1/2 serving mixed with his morning yogurt (blends in really well), and makes a smoothie with it every afternoon after his therapy/work-out. Smoothie = banana, yogurt, skim milk, protein powder, ice and usually another fruit (strawberries, blueberries or peach/nectarine).

For bars, he still prefers Atkins. Not the breakfast ones/the ones with sugar alcohols (too sickly sweet). The regular ones - he especially likes all of the peanut/fudge/carmel bars. Usually around 160 calories, 12g protein, 6-8g fiber. He feels like it is a total decadent treat, and eats one almost every day. Well, it's certainly better then eating haagen das......

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Ruined it for me.
    That's getting to be a pretty long list.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Greens Plus makes good smoothies and they have a protein+ version
    C3/4 Brown Sequard

Ruined it for me.
    What hormones are those Mona? I know soy has naturally occurring amounts of plant estrogen, is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter View Post
    What hormones are those Mona? I know soy has naturally occurring amounts of plant estrogen, is that what you mean?

The Trouble with Soy

Despite their promising marketing, the phytoestrogens in soy may also contribute to hormone imbalance. They resemble human hormones enough to fool the body in some ways – but not others. Some concern also exists about the nutritional value of soybean products that have been heavily-processed (such as TVP, most veggie burgers, soy ice cream, and soy cheese).

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/soy

I agree that prcoessed soy products may be a cause for concern due to the amount of artifical substances mixed with these products, reading that article it states that there may be problems with the phytoestrogens in soy mimicking normal estrogen but doesnt say exactly what problems it can cause. I would take that article with a grain of salt, hundreds of millions of people in Asia rely on soy for their daily protein intake and seem to lack the lifestyle diseases that western people get from their animal based diets, in fact there is a large volume of evidence that the phytoestrogens in soy may help prevent heart disease, help prevent certain cancers such as bowel cancer and in a lot of cases alleviate the symptoms of menopause which is almost non existent in many asian cultures. Incidentally I have been consuming relatively large amounts of soy products in my diet for some 25 years and appear to have no ill effects.

Just eat natural soybeans or tofu (curd). Ingredients: Water, Soybeans.

I just had 3 servings of tofu: 2 squares (in a pk of 4 per) = 180 cal. 21 g. protien
    I usually have an entire package, which is pretty filling, and provides 42 g. protien.

Forget about those processed soy products.

Snack on whole soybean pods. They are so delish. Buy frozen and blanch for less than a min, and enjoy.

I like Juven it tastes good and is great on protein, expensive though.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Thanks everybody for all the replies. There were all very helpful and gave me lots of good ideas on where to start. I appreciate it.

I am trying to heal sores plus struggle many days to even come close to 1000 calories. I need to put on weight and am hoping some protein powder that I don't find revolting might help with getting more protein for my skin and helping with get my weight up some.

Chick I am very new to tofu and have just started exploring ways to incorporate it into my meals. When you say you eat one or two squares for a snack, you mean you eat it right out of the package as one would buy it in a grocery store? When using it as a snack, do you cook it or eat anything with it, or just eat it alone? Lots of questions, I know . I am very interested in different ways to eat it, hence my questions. Thanks. I never heard of soybean pods before. I will have to get some to try.