View Poll Results: Do you want children?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 56.31%
  • No, because of the SCI

16 15.53%
  • No, irregardless of the SCI

18 17.48%
  • Not sure

11 10.68%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you want children?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Kids are a lot of work and will on occasion drain every bit of extra time, energy, and money you can muster [and still want more]. But there's nothing more rewarding that parenting, I really mean that. They give you a reason to keep pushing forward, to keep getting out of bed each morning. Given all the crap that's happened in the last two years, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be sitting here typing this right now if I didn't have my kids.
    ditto.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Yeah, you can go for the 16 yo, but people normally call someone looking for a 16 yo "Chester".
    Why would you want 16 yo? That's the stage when they know everything and the parents can't get any dumber.
    hah I was only kidding about this statement! If I had kids, I would want them to be my own kids and yes raising them would be hard but worth it in the end.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Having kids is probably one of the things I look forward to most in my life. I can't imagine giving up that dream.

I already know how to deal with kids post-injury with so many nephews and nieces running around, plus my friends' kids. There are lots of things that maybe I can't do, or do as easily, but I don't necessarily think that it's gonna ruin my kids' lives if I can't walk. It hasn't totally ruined mine so far anyway.....
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

There was a time I had my doubts about having a kid postinjury. My wife and I had problems conceiving so we adopted our daughter from China. It was the best thing that happened to us. I agree with those who say it's a reason to want to live. To some having biological children might be a big deal, but it wasn't for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie View Post
    There are lots of things that maybe I can't do, or do as easily, but I don't necessarily think that it's gonna ruin my kids' lives if I can't walk. It hasn't totally ruined mine so far anyway.....
    I can vouch for that statement. Of all the things that have changed in my life my relationship with my kids has changed the least. They've handled it all really well, it's hardly affected them at all.

I do miss walking in the woods with them and I know they miss those things too. And they do say "I wish you could still walk" or "I hope you will walk again someday" but never in a way that represents any lasting sadness. They're still happy, growing kids just like they were before my injury.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie View Post
    Having kids is probably one of the things I look forward to most in my life. I can't imagine giving up that dream.

I already know how to deal with kids post-injury with so many nephews and nieces running around, plus my friends' kids. There are lots of things that maybe I can't do, or do as easily, but I don't necessarily think that it's gonna ruin my kids' lives if I can't walk. It hasn't totally ruined mine so far anyway.....
    Well put.

Pre-SCI, my partner and I were foster parents to behaviorally challenged kids; and I've worked as a counselor to homeless teenagers. The foster parenting was difficult, but I loved having young people in my life. As long as the MS doesn't progress, I'd like to adopt after I'm able to return to work and we can get back on our feet, financially, but I don't think the SCI would really be an issue for me in the decision.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I figure there is always something you will wish you could do with your kids. Before I was hurt, I used to wish I had musical talent, and could share it with them. Now I wish I could walk on the beach with them like before. But I wouldn;t let it stop me from having kids.

The dependent infant stage must be scary tho.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

it will be a miracle for me if this come in my life...

I have always had a strong desire to have kids...and my feelings haven't changed since I am in the chair. My fiance and I will have some struggles since we are both in chairs, but I know what joy we have when we see our Godchildren/nieces/nephews...and we can only imaging what kind of emotions we will have when we hold our own child for the first time, or when they call us mommy/daddy...etc. I do not think there was even one moment since I have been in a chair that I did not want kids.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss