Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: quads who transfer independently

nice tip!

Quote Originally Posted by jkalter View Post
    I'm a c6/c7 quad, 18 months post-injury, and I just got to the point where I can transfer independently. I also have difficulty positioning the board. When transferring from my wheelchair, I cross my legs. For example, if I'm transferring to the left, I cross my left leg over my right one. Then, I can easily slide the board under my left thigh, concentrating on manipulating the board rather than trying to maintain my balance while holding one leg up.

When transferring from bed to my wheelchair, I lean over onto my elbow, which unweights one side enough so that I can nudge the board under me. For example, if I'm transferring to the left, I lean onto my right elbow. Once the board is under me a little bit, I can sort of pound it in with the side of my hand.

One thing that might be worth noting is that I use a Therafin sliding board, which is really thin.

Hope that helps,

Jill
    I'll try that tip, crossing the legs. I have tried coming down on one elbow to place the board, but that was unsucccessful. maybe worth trying again. I think i've tried the therafin sliding boaed in rehab, scared the shite out of me! i don't think i'd try that again unless i had a therapist with me. thanks so much for the advice! the more i hear from people the more i know it is possible, just stick with it.

I had a transfer board shaped like a teardrop that had a post that slid down into the hole of where the armrests normally slid into. This kept it from moving when I slid across it. Since getting in the bed was transferring to my left, I would lean to my right and slide the board under my left buttock then I would sit back up, put one arm on the bed and the other on the chair and pushed myself across the board. Then when my weight was on the bed I would put my arm under my knees and fall to the left onto the bed pulling my legs up at the same time

However I gave it up within a year after leaving rehab and am was able to transfer without it. This ability came not so much from strength but from what I call "the head bob". By "bobbing" your head down and up (changing your posture, from sitting at a 90° angle to perhaps a 45° angle) which changes your center of gravity from being directly over your butt to closer to your knees, subsequently making it easier to lift your ass up.

At the same time you're pushing up with your arms you put your head down toward your knees. This takes quite a bit of practice because if you put your head too far down you will fall forward when you push up and if you don't put it down far enough you'll be trying to lift your whole body weight. You need the correct timing and rhythm to put your head forward at the same time you're pushing your butt up in the air and avoid pushing your butt to the floor.

I remember in rehab the difficulty I had doing this and I asked my PT why I needed to learn this and he asked me "if I always wanted to carry around the sliding board". At the time I was fine with this because it was easier (compared to not using one) and didn't realize all the transfers I would be doing every day and that I would always have to have the transfer board with me.

All I know is it's a lot of hard work to learn how to do it but it's well worth the investment because it makes life easier in the long run.

This was before they made sport chairs that did not have arms on them so you may not have arms on your wheelchair that will come off and be over the place a hold down until it.

By the time lightweight sport chairs came out I was already doing the transfers without the board. My first chair weighed 66 pounds and had desktop arms which were removable and had 4 inch pegs on the push rims. It wasn't until my third chair (my second lightweight chair) was I able to go without pegs and just use rubber coated push rims.

If you can do it once no matter how much trouble and effort it takes, that means you can do it, and it only gets easier with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Fuente, you can use the small sized Philly Slide for bare-butt transfers, but be careful...you can easily slide too easily (either to the side or forward off the board).

A number of my clients use an upside down chux between them and the board when transferring in and out of the tub. The plastic will stick to your butt, but the paper side down stays dry and will slide. Then just pull the chux out by leaning side to side.

(KLD)
    a hand towel works just as good, is almost the exact same size as the transfer board so the excess doesn't get all bunched up underneath you, and isn't going straight in the landfill.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

booya!! I'm hoppin on that beat train! Cool beans, hot rice.

we slip the transfer board into a pillow case for wet transfers - works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    we slip the transfer board into a pillow case for wet transfers - works great.
    I tried that initially- what do you do about the closed end? plus, the sheet material got wet really quickly/easily and held up the progress.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

man, that has got to be rough on u women., transfering on a damp board. anatomically speaking
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

ok my technique no triceps.

I only use a board getting out of bed, shower and car.

chair to bed-
    1. lock brakes beside bed
    2.cross left foot over right w/ feet on floor
    3. no board getting in
    4. slide right hand in the bar on the backrest
    5. lean to right and push off bar on chair back until ass clears side guard and tire
    6. sit up and then flop back onto elbows
    7 drap ass in w/ feet still on floor
    8. sit up put right foot on chair seat then left foot on seat
    9. flop back on elbows drag in until feet are in bed
    10. sit up twist legs around. DONE......TAKES JUST A FEW MINUTES

GETTING OUT OF BED--
    `1.put my pants or shorts on after i twist around so im pointing towards chair
    2.grab board which i keep beside bed
    3. lift right leg up slide board under thighs/ass
    4. push out until feet on floor kinda twist and push across board.....DONE

TOILET ON--
    1. lock midway beside toilet
    2. cross left foot over right on floor
    3. right arm slid down into back bar
    4. twist right and push off back until clear wheel/tire
    4. by now im on toilet mostly
    5. push up on grab bar and backrest
    6. twist a bit.....DONE

OFF TOILET---
    1.grab bar on left wall and frt wall and kind of lean way over and push over onto chair seat......DONE

car in/out -----WATCH MY VIDEO IN VIDS SECTION
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

One thing which makes transfers easier is having furniture the same height as my chair with cushion. If you have a carpenter in the family or among friends it can be easily done using wooden blocks with smallish holes dug in the center of the blocks to hold the legs of sofas, loveseats, etc.

If there isn't a handyperson in your crew, you can also buy lift kits sold in many stores (think Bed, Bath, Beyond) which can get your furniture to be a better height for transfers. These are available for sofas and such as well as beds.

It's much easier to transfer when you're not trying to go uphill.

As for Pledging the transfer board, that's great. Just make sure you're pretty strong and good at transferring or you may slide right into the floor.

Fuente's vids should be pretty helpful.

good point

I was thinking about this now that I'm actively looking for an apt. I still like hospital beds for the rails and versatility. I would like to sit on a couch but would it be difficult to find a couch relatively level with the chair? That could solve that problem. I'm in the process of looking at commodes that I could easily transfer onto as well. I live in the city so most likely the bathroom will be small. How would I shower? I know I have to look at bathrooms and see my options but my abilty to transfer seems to be the most important element linking my routines of daily living.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    One thing which makes transfers easier is having furniture the same height as my chair with cushion. If you have a carpenter in the family or among friends it can be easily done using wooden blocks with smallish holes dug in the center of the blocks to hold the legs of sofas, loveseats, etc.

If there isn't a handyperson in your crew, you can also buy lift kits sold in many stores (think Bed, Bath, Beyond) which can get your furniture to be a better height for transfers. These are available for sofas and such as well as beds.

It's much easier to transfer when you're not trying to go uphill.

As for Pledging the transfer board, that's great. Just make sure you're pretty strong and good at transferring or you may slide right into the floor.

Fuente's vids should be pretty helpful.