Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel gloves and travel-Eeewwwww!

Bowel gloves and travel-Eeewwwww!

I've never seen this mentioned here, but it's always been a problem for me. What to do with the nasty used bowel gloves when you're a guest in someone's home...shoot, I've worried about it in motels! Plus I've started using non-latex food prep gloves now, which are crystal clear, and make the problem even worse. An AB would be traumatized for life at that graphic evidence of SCI issues, and I'd be mortified to death if one came across it anyway.

I found a solution! You know the little bag dispensers that people put on their dog's leash? They are shaped like a bone, clip on the leash. They contain a roll of small, biodegradable, BLACK bags, and are meant for picking up dog poop. The bags are long, meant to go up your arm so you can grav a handful of dog poop, turn the bag inside out and tie it off quite easily. You can use one of those black bags, it easily holds a day's worth of bowel gloves, just tie it off securely to contain odor, and leave it in somebody's guest bathroom without traumatizing them or their cleaning lady!

The non-latex food prep gloves I mentioned come 100 to a sleeve, which is about the size of a Reader's Digest magazine (smaller, actually). They do the job, are WAY cheaper, and won't give you latex allergy. I had to get used to them, they are so thin I was afraid they weren't tough enough. But lo and behold, they were fine!

If you've traveled with boxes of latex gloves, you know they are heavy and bulky. I used to carry them, a box of ziplocs, plus lube, baby wipes and a big wad of grocery sacks to conceal the evidence. I had a whole large messenger's bag dedicated to the darned bowel program, for every trip. (Note-I often carry my own luggage. My parents are OLD, they can't be carrying my bags when I visit, and I travel alone and stay in cheap motels quite a bit. No bellhops at Motel 6.) It was a dilemma...Leave this mess in a friend's/loved one's bathroom? Or carry it out and hope you don't get in a car wreck, lest you will be forever known as "That lady in the wheelchair that traveled with bags full of shitty latex gloves."

Now, with these new gloves, small bottle of lube, travel pack of baby wipes and my handy-dandy black bag dispenser, that large bag is condensed to a thin little purse. And the glove disposal problem is gone!

The bag dispenser was like $7 at Target. 120 refill bags (6 rolls) are $6 at Target as well.

What's worse is when their dog gets them out of the trash even after you so carefully buried them under toilet paper.
    Last edited by addiesue; 10-21-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: to add puking smiley

hi beth :)

i think people tend to understand but what i do is i use toilet paper and wrap it in the glove to conceal the mess and wrap the glove tightly. traveling in motels i think its not much of a problem but remember motel is just a stay and like i said we are disable and people just need to understand, im sure they seen worst lol but with family they know better... but for me gloves is ok then to spend a extra 5 or 6 bucks for the thought of others...
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    What's worse is when their dog gets them out of the trash even after you so carefully buried them under toilet paper.
    No kidding. Our sheltie will dig anything out of the bathroom trash... used gloves, pee guards, maxi pads... and tear them up, chew them, eat them whole! Hate to see that happen as a guest in someone else's house!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I've never seen this mentioned here, but it's always been a problem for me. What to do with the nasty used bowel gloves when you're a guest in someone's home...shoot, I've worried about it in motels! Plus I've started using non-latex food prep gloves now, which are crystal clear, and make the problem even worse. An AB would be traumatized for life at that graphic evidence of SCI issues, and I'd be mortified to death if one came across it anyway.

I found a solution! You know the little bag dispensers that people put on their dog's leash? They are shaped like a bone, clip on the leash. They contain a roll of small, biodegradable, BLACK bags, and are meant for picking up dog poop. The bags are long, meant to go up your arm so you can grav a handful of dog poop, turn the bag inside out and tie it off quite easily. You can use one of those black bags, it easily holds a day's worth of bowel gloves, just tie it off securely to contain odor, and leave it in somebody's guest bathroom without traumatizing them or their cleaning lady!

The non-latex food prep gloves I mentioned come 100 to a sleeve, which is about the size of a Reader's Digest magazine (smaller, actually). They do the job, are WAY cheaper, and won't give you latex allergy. I had to get used to them, they are so thin I was afraid they weren't tough enough. But lo and behold, they were fine!

If you've traveled with boxes of latex gloves, you know they are heavy and bulky. I used to carry them, a box of ziplocs, plus lube, baby wipes and a big wad of grocery sacks to conceal the evidence. I had a whole large messenger's bag dedicated to the darned bowel program, for every trip. (Note-I often carry my own luggage. My parents are OLD, they can't be carrying my bags when I visit, and I travel alone and stay in cheap motels quite a bit. No bellhops at Motel 6.) It was a dilemma...Leave this mess in a friend's/loved one's bathroom? Or carry it out and hope you don't get in a car wreck, lest you will be forever known as "That lady in the wheelchair that traveled with bags full of shitty latex gloves."

Now, with these new gloves, small bottle of lube, travel pack of baby wipes and my handy-dandy black bag dispenser, that large bag is condensed to a thin little purse. And the glove disposal problem is gone!

The bag dispenser was like $7 at Target. 120 refill bags (6 rolls) are $6 at Target as well.
    Great suggestion Bethany.
    I love inventive ideas and this is a good one!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

We always carry our own supply of plastic grocery bags (don't know what we will do if they ban these as threatened in CA!!!). Wrap anything like this (bed pads, padding, catheters, gloves, etc.) in them, tie closed with a square knot (I was a Girl Scout!) and leave in the trash in the hotel or cruise ship room, or if visiting friends, I carry out to the outside trash bin right away.

When traveling, we take the gloves out of the box and put in a ziplock baggie. They will stuff into little pockets in the luggage much easier this way. The same goes for wipes and our stock of catheters and lubricant. All that is in the carry-on. We never check those supplies as it would be a disaster if we were separated from them, even if this means incurring a luggage check charge for our regular clothing, etc. If you fly and want to risk it, you are not supposed to be charged for checking for medical supplies, but only that can be in the bag you claim for this.

(KLD)

Bethany I will chalk this one up to memory when I start to travel. I still use the shower/commode chair, so until I loose some weight and can use a regular toilet I keep this one in the filing cabinet.

Thanks again
    Stevie P

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Great suggestion Bethany.
    I love inventive ideas and this is a good one!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!
    LOL, I'm glad some will find it useful. I just packed my bowel supplies (at my house we call it the "bell bag"-My son was 11 when I was injured, and when we mentioned bowel, he heard bell. My bathroom is also "The Bell Room". Jake still sighs occasionally, when we're in a hurry and I head in there, and says "Are you gonna do bell?"). The bell bag is so tiny now! I'm ridiculously excited. Going on a BIG road trip, clear to Minnesota by myself starting tomorrow. So the less I have to carry, the better!

Addiesue, I've never had a dog dig out gloves, although I've had a horror of it happening. When I empty the trash from the bell room, I double-bag and take it outside myself. I would DIE if those remains wound up scattered thru my neighborhood!

Once, in New Mexico, my dog was upset (I'd removed his collar, he acted like he was naked in public.) He hid in the bathroom and laid on the bell bag for 3 days, until I got him some new bling. I'm sure the smell of my unmentionables are a big comfort to him. LOL, dogs are WEIRD.

lol on the collar ..... My dog gets nutty when we take hers off as well!

She leaves the trash alone, but our last one used to get in it. I would sprinkle cayenne pepper in the trash. Didn;t need much.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Beth, the "bell bag" and "bell room" crack me up.
    It's even funnier Jake and all still refer to it as that.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash