Thread: Copywriting material

Copywriting material

Copywriting

What is the best way to copyright written material and artwork without having to hire a lawyer? Is it still okay to mail yourself the material and never open the envelope? The reason I ask is a friend of mine is writing a child's book with illustrations and poems. I also guess that it cannot hurt to find out what to do with my own stuff. Thanks again for your information in advance.

I wonder if this counts as writing!LOL! See you soon.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I have always wondered this myself. I hope someone knows.

I was there and confused........LOL. Maybe after some coffee. Thanks Scott!!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

LOL! Me too! I started writing a reply earlier with the government website and my take on the information, and then realized that I wasn't at all sure which fees, etc. were the ones needed. At first glance it looks like you can register something for $35, but then I got confused!

Good luck!

It looks like it has been lowered to $35 if you do it online (here).

Also links to FAQ;s, tips and a powerpoint tutorial on that page.

from the FAQs

What are the process steps for registering a claim in eCO?
    Registering a claim to copyright via eCO involves three steps in the following order:

1. Complete an application
      2. Pay the associated fee (Pay online with credit/debit card or ACH transfer via Pay.gov, or with a deposit account)
      3. Submit your work

Keep in mind that payment is required before the system will prompt you to upload copies of your work(s) as an electronic file or print out a shipping slip if you intend to submit a hard copy of your work.
    What works may be registered
    And I understand that this is just the best way to protect yourself. The work is actually copywrited as soon as you claim it is.

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created,
    and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or
    phonorecord for the first time.
    Last edited by sjean423; 10-21-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

copyright has traditionally been accepted if you mail it to yourself (preferably certified mail, keep the receipt) and never open it.

don't fall for online schemes. i disagree with the gov site dismissing "poor man's copyright." i think they just want your $$. in my lit days, i knew many authors who maintained copyright by mailing their material to themselves. in fact, my lit profs advocated it. as far as other media (video, recordings, etc.) i cannot say.
    Last edited by cass; 10-22-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    copyright has traditionally been accepted if you mail it to yourself (preferably certified mail, keep the receipt) and never open it.
    If it's never opened, how would you prove the contents?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    If it's never opened, how would you prove the contents?
    it's opened in court if a copyright is questioned. if you open it, that nullifies the postmark which proves when it was written. if someone steals your work and publishes it, that date will be well past the postmark date.

btw, don't mix this up with self-publishing. the latter is usually frowned upon in the literary world. anybody can self-publish. professionals use an agent.
    Last edited by cass; 10-22-2008 at 02:44 AM.

sj's post is correct, that's from the US Copyright Office and there are advantages to be gained in filing with it.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer