Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loss of hope

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    now that is a very scary sentiment in my opinion and very different from an inability to ultimately deal with one's injury for themselves.

if people can't see the difference, imo, they have lost the ability to cope with whatever hits their family. would you let your 12 yr old kill herself because she feels she's a burden on her family? that's the message you just sent."
    Obviously there's Much More involved with his decision then being a Family Burden. Again "Everyone is different"

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i guess everyone feels he took the cowardly way out.
    My Statement was only one Example of why "cowardly way out" is Bull Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    this isn't about cure, but care. why is this in cure forum?
    With This......... I Totaly Agree.....
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....

i asked my surgeon before he operated to let me go if i was paralyzed and he just made me live. i will never forgive him. Everyone has limits to their acceptable level of existence. even with a cure we will never be normal. being a freak, in pain and numb in 80 percent of my body isn't worth it to me.
    Last edited by jhope; 10-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhope View Post
    i asked my surgeon and he just made me live. i will never forgive him.
    Personally:
    I Dont' Condone What that Kid Decided, Although, I will Never criticize Someone Descion.
    However, I Do Agree with Others who suggest to "Give it Time"
    The Human Condition Consists Of contunious "Ups n Downs" in life. What someone one day may precieve as an impossible struggle(or surreal), Later in life adapts to that, then becomes Transparent. (well in Part)

(Dispite TRUE past hardships, My Mother was the most Upbeat, Friendly, Giving, Helpfull, Foregiving, Individual. And every day I see how My SCI saga has consumed Her into a Crabby, Wore Down, Witchyish Lady. Yet, Only within the past few months has my SCI Started to become (in part)"transparently Liveable" Im just now starting to see and understand why so many say "Give it Time". What Drives me now is the Hope that; As I adapt and get better, So will she.)

Consider this Jhope. Just maby there is something to this "Give it Time" That you Keep Hearing about..
    Last edited by patricks; 10-22-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....

Quote Originally Posted by kickingber View Post
    "ask yourself this: what made him think he was living as a second class citizen?" Maybe it was the fact that he can't feed himself,dress himself,put himself to bed,get out of bed, walk, wipe his own ass, ect.
    please explain how that makes one a "second class citizen."

patrick, obviously i don't know you or your mom, but if i were you, i wouldn't take all the credit for changes in your mom. age, menopause, etc. take their toll, too. heck, my 16 yr old has made me a very grumpy, upset person just by being a teenager.
    Last edited by cass; 10-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.

it concerns me how this may affect a couple people here who are proly thinking about the same kind of end. it would really suck if that happend. you would be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    this isn't about cure, but care. why is this in cure forum?
    It is about cures too; if there were cures this would not have happened.
    ask yourself this: what made him think he was living as a "second class citizen?"
    Ask yourself this: Why are there no cures?

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    please explain how that makes one a "second class citizen."

patrick, obviously i don't know you or your mom, but if i were you, i wouldn't take all the credit for changes in your mom. age, menopause, etc. take their toll, too. heck, my 16 yr old has made me a very grumpy, upset person just by being a teenager.

cass, some have better support than others. the 2nd class thing. i feel like that. I'm sorry if anyone is offended but reality bites. some can overcome.... some cannot. the kid flew to Switzerland to die. do not judge him. but i bet with help he may have changed his mind. but the point is mute now.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    it concerns me how this may affect a couple people here who are proly thinking about the same kind of end. it would really suck if that happend. you would be missed.

I am with you on this Jody. I know I have no idea what the majority of the people here are thinking (WRT their own situation) and to have people who express an opinion as everyone has a right to, those practicing those rights must remember there are obligations that come along with those rights whether you believe it or not...

I helped my family out of a burning building christmas eve. we were trapped three floors up. the gods saw fit to give me a warning about this fire and the person to set it six months before. what I knew saved us, and the wastoid who set it. thats gimps 1 crackheads 0. we all have a reason for being here. and that was one of mine. I havnt questioned my worth since, but had many times before. im just really glad to be here.

everyone is different

I totally agree with those of you that have said we don't have the right to place judgment on this man's decision. Everyone is an individual, with individual circumstances both before and after their spinal cord injury. No one can know how he felt unless they lived in his shoes. I don't think it's cowardice of him to commit suicide nor do I think it's bravery that keeps those of us living with our injuries alive. Those of us that choose to move forward do so because we can, for whatever reasons may be. Personally speaking I can empathize with him. There have been many days that I wish I never survived my accident or that I could end my current situation. I'm sure most of us living with spinal cord injuries have been on an emotiona roller coaster at one point or another. The way you handle your life after your accident has a lot to do with the person you were before you were injured. I don't think it's right for anyone to presume to know what's right or wrong in terms of another person's ability to handle a situation, especially such a drastic life altering experience such as a spinal cord injury. I also think about the fact that my accident has had a ripple effect on my friends and family. Obviously my life has been changed more than anyone, but the fact that I have to rely so heavily on others bothers me tremendously. I have the same level of injury as the man in the article so I know firsthand all of the help he required on a daily basis. Before my accident I was extremely outgoing, independent and a high achiever. I've always been hard on myself and I don't like to accept help. I much rather be the person helping versus the person receiving help. Those are qualities ingrained in my personality and it makes it very difficult for me to get through the day to day things, not to mention the loss of my career and all the hard work I put into college. So I can understand how he felt not being able to do the things he loved most. There are just certain fields that can't be adapted with any gadgets, because their physical. Of course there's always compromises but when it's your passion sometimes that's just not good enough.
    I know that my hope for a cure is the only thing that keeps me going. I have to admit that as more time passes I lose more hope instead of gaining hope. I read about all the obstacles researchers face and I think to myself that even if the cure is found it will be too late for me. Not to mention all the people I read about here on care cure that have already spent decades in their chair and have been hearing the same promises of five to 10 years for the last 20 years. I don't feel I have a right to complain if I don't help the cause so, since my injury I've tried my best to raise awareness through my art. I plan to continue to fight for a cure as long as I can handle it. Honestly speaking, I don't know how many more years I can wait. To me life in my chair is not good enough and the day I believe that I will never be cured is the day I give up. I don't want to spend the rest of my life like this. If I feel in my heart that 10 years from now I can be cured that I have reason to fight but realistically speaking I don't think I could tolerate much more than that.
    I understand why this was put in the cure section, because I know there must be so many people that feel like me and understand why someone would choose not to keep fighting. If there were a cure it would prevent situations like that from ever happening, because those people that aren't strong enough to live life in a chair would never have to consider that option.