Thread: PCA NYC asap

PCA NYC asap

I am posting this question for a friend. She is currently looking for a personal care assistant in New York City. She's been a quadriplegic for a number of years and is familiar with the ads in a newspaper and checking with friends. She has her own health insurance through work that does not pay for personal care/nursing. Like many quadriplegics that work full-time the payout is out of our own pocket.

The question is: how much do you pay per day/per week?

She requires someone seven days a week. For two to three hours in the morning and the same in the evening. She does require that the person sleep in the home at night. They are given room and board. During the day when she's working they have the time to themselves to either go to school work a second part-time job etc.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Liz

missliz1@optonline.net

Would she accept someone with two small children? Age almost 5 and an infant? I have NO earthly idea if my friend would be even remotely interested, but she and her husband are splitting and I know she is in straights for housing and I know she is uber reliable and someone your friend could trust. If that would be OK, I would approach my friend, and do as Seinfeld once set "put wheels in motion"

Ami, in NC
    Wife of Chad (C4 complete, injured in 1988)
    Mama to a great 4 year old

Forgot to answer, we pay $9.50 / hour in North Carolina, a much lower cost of living area, but we do not require 7 days a week - I would think she would need to pay higher for being in NYC and higher for needing essentially 24/7 care (I know about the midday break, but it's still essentially a no vacation days ever job - that's HARD!!!!).

Ami, in NC
    Wife of Chad (C4 complete, injured in 1988)
    Mama to a great 4 year old

Thanks zilla I'll cut/paste and ask!

Blog Entries

any luck with PCA?

just wondering if and how you fared. first time seeing your post.
    beware of the georgians [ussr kind].

Tim C. What happens with Georgians?