Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend with New C2-3 SCI

Friend with New C2-3 SCI

What a devastating and confusing time it has been. My Friend was recently injured at the C2-3 level. He doesn't have a very good family support he has a 15 year old son and My husband and I. So I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can help take care of him. He has a trache and seems to have more bad days than good at this point. Please any words of advice is greatly appreciated. I don't mean to sound needy I am in a very confused emotional state right now and need guidance to help him he is like a Brother to me and I hate to see him like this. He just wants to go home. The doctors say he needs rehab but he just wants to go home so I am the bad person at this point because I told him that he can't go home till he goes to rehab.
    ~rsmiller

rsmiller, your right to have him stay for rehab... it really does help out alot.
    i'll be out of rehab this friday, and i have improved lots, stuff 3 weeks ago i thought would be impossible for me.

i'm new to all this SCI stuff also. but being here what really helped me was having family and friends visit and everything.

RSMiller, please keep being "the bad person" as you call it. He (like everyone with SCI) needs to go to rehab. Don't back down on this one. If you'll be supporting him when he does come home, ask LOTS of questions, educate yourself. There's a lot to learn, but you (and he) can do it!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Rsmiller, welcome to the site, but sorry you had to find us. How old is your friend? Where are you located? When was he injured and how?

Rehab is very important in learning what to do when at home and for potential recovery. Some rehabs are better than others, so you will need to find a CARF accredited center near your area. I have been a C2/3 complete vent dependent quad for 23 years, feel free to ask questions, nothing is too small an issue.

Make sure he gets turned every two hours to prevent pressure sores. Regular skin checks are also important as the can detect pressure ulcers that will delay rehab.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I think we can all identify with the "I just want to go home" feelings, but you are absoulutely right that he needs to go to rehab, so don't think of yourself as a meany or anything like that, because it is in his best interest to get the most he can out of rehab.

Is your friend's injury complete? Is he on a ventilator? Where is he currently?? Does he have decent health insurance?

It is not only important that he go to a rehab facility, but that he go to the right one. Don't let him go to just the closest one. He needs one that is either a VA SCI Center (if he is a military veteran) or a Model SCI System Center, or at least one that is CARF accredited as a Spinal Cord System of Care (SCSC). General rehab CARF accreditation is not sufficient. This may mean having to go out of state, but it is critical. Without this his health and quality of life with this injury will be at severe jeopardy. He needs to learn how to keep himself healthy, how to maximize the function he has, and to get prescription and training in the very specialized equipment he needs to live a life with this type of injury. That combined with the care and education he needs really require this. If he goes home, he is likely to be bed-bound and totally dependent.

Please post questions here. We can help.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Is your friend's injury complete? Is he on a ventilator? Where is he currently?? Does he have decent health insurance?

It is not only important that he go to a rehab facility, but that he go to the right one. Don't let him go to just the closest one. He needs one that is either a VA SCI Center (if he is a military veteran) or a Model SCI System Center, or at least one that is CARF accredited as a Spinal Cord System of Care (SCSC). General rehab CARF accreditation is not sufficient. This may mean having to go out of state, but it is critical. Without this his health and quality of life with this injury will be at severe jeopardy. He needs to learn how to keep himself healthy, how to maximize the function he has, and to get prescription and training in the very specialized equipment he needs to live a life with this type of injury. That combined with the care and education he needs really require this. If he goes home, he is likely to be bed-bound and totally dependent.

Please post questions here. We can help.

(KLD)
    Yes his injury is complete
    He is on a ventilator
    he is in the hospital
    his insurance is not very good
    I will be one of his main caregivers so I just want to make sure I am doing everything right I want to be as supportive as I can he seems to be very angry at this point he wants to eat and talk. It has only been 8 days since his injury he can't seem to get used to the ventilator and needs to be suctioned a lot. I feel so lost at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Rsmiller, welcome to the site, but sorry you had to find us. How old is your friend? Where are you located? When was he injured and how?

Rehab is very important in learning what to do when at home and for potential recovery. Some rehabs are better than others, so you will need to find a CARF accredited center near your area. I have been a C2/3 complete vent dependent quad for 23 years, feel free to ask questions, nothing is too small an issue.

Make sure he gets turned every two hours to prevent pressure sores. Regular skin checks are also important as the can detect pressure ulcers that will delay rehab.
    Jacob is 38, we are in California, he was injured 10/12/08 he fell down some stairs

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome

I take it he is not a military veteran? What part of CA?

The best places for him in CA would be at either Santa Clara Valley Medical Center SCI Center (San Jose) or Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center (Downey). If out-of-state is at all possible, the Craig Hospital in Denver would be the first choice.

It is normal for him to be angry, lashing out, and frustrated. You can only imagine what he must be going through. Don't let him drive you away...he may try as a way to test your friendship. Be supportive, but also help him make the right decisions and not rash ones that may cause him to miss out on the right care he needs right now.

(KLD)