Thread: Bypassing the Injury May Put Brain Back in Charge of Paralyzed Muscles, Study Shows

Wink Bypassing the Injury May Put Brain Back in Charge of Paralyzed Muscles, Study Shows

They are telling us a good news then they hit us with 10 20 years to make it happened. What is a matter with them? Maybe they should keep the good news to themselves.

Brain Training for Spinal Cord Injury
    Bypassing the Injury May Put Brain Back in Charge of Paralyzed Muscles, Study Shows

By Miranda Hitti
    WebMD Health News

Reviewed By Louise Chang, MDOct. 15, 2008 -- Scientists at the University of Washington in Seattle report success in their first attempts to harness the brain to treat paralysis in people with spinal cord injuries.

Their technique isn't ready for patients yet, but researcher Chet Moritz, PhD, says it may one day be used to help paralyzed people walk.

"We haven't studied that directly, so it's all speculation on my part, but certainly it's possible in the next 10-20 years," Moritz said at a news conference.

The basic idea is to bypass the spinal cord injury and create a direct route from the brain to the muscles. It's a concept that hinges on the brain's ability to adapt, with brain cells stepping up to handle tasks that they're not used to doing.

Here's a look at the findings, published in today's advance online edition of Nature.

Trumping Paralysis
    Moritz and colleagues tested their treatment on monkeys. First, the monkeys learned to play a simple video game which involved flexing and extending the wrist muscles. A little applesauce was all the reward the monkeys needed to master the game.

Then, the researchers temporarily paralyzed the monkeys' wrist muscles with a nerve-blocking drug. The scientists also implanted electrodes in the monkeys' brains to record the activity of certain brain cells.

Those electrodes were hooked up to wires running to a computer and then into the monkeys' wrist muscles -- basically, a direct connection wiring brain cells to the wrist muscles, bypassing the temporary nerve blockage.

more....

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=93461

Frustrating timeline. Interesting theory though.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

So its just using brain signals to send impulses over wires, not actually fixing the spinal cord? Am i reading that right?

So basically it would be good for F$%k all, because you might be able to walk or move your feet, but you still have no sensation no B&B and would have to worry about pressure sores if you were able to walk.

If I am reading that right, that sounds like a waste of time... well for us at least, but I am sure it will have some other applications in the future. Like you could directly interface your brain with your computer or something.

That and nothing is a close tie. With the other crap at least rats are walking.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

The old jumper cable trick!!!