Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: How much do you pay your Caregiver?

hmm...the carer system in Australia isn't bad, you could probably read up on it somewhere, if you are interested.

All i'm saying is loyalty only goes so far, if a person is offered more money somewhere else you gotta expect they might want to take it. I figure a person is loyal if they give you a chance to renegotiate if you want to retain their services. If they disrespectfully give you a stupid figure, tell them to go jump, but if they give you a carefully considered figure that maybe a bit over the standard you have to at least consider if its worth paying...and if you can afford it, if not you just have to say sorry I can't pay you that.

Question might be, do i need full time care or just care at a few key times of the day?.

If so could my spouse, friends or family step into the breach. If no, you do need a carer and i know it's VERY tough finding a good carer at a cheap and cheerful rate. I had a few ladies clean my house prior to my being in a chair, they were mostly hopeless, one was very nice to look at, one was very dumb and one was very good. It's, as you yanks say "A crap shoot".
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Yes I agree, loyalty only goes so far. If you're paying below market rates, you can expect little loyalty, not to mention some unsavory people who do not know the value of their work and are desperate for a job. If you're paying just about average, you can expect a modicum of loyalty, provided there is personal chemistry and you are able to provide additional compensation perks that go above an xmas gift certificate to an Outback Steakhouse. If you are paying above market rates to any degree you may be taken advantage of, as we probably all have been in the past. However, if you're paying better than most and there is personal chemistry then you have a combination that has the best chance for long-term stability. Unfortunately, what you can afford to pay often comes down to the financial resources you have at hand. Plus, if you have nonpaid help, such as spouse, friends, children, etc., that allows you to pay higher wages for your paid help than if you had to spread the same available money amongst more help.

Additionally, I find one of the best indicators for long-term stability is when people know there is a replacement to fill in for them when they are sick, on vacation, etc..

paying above market is not a guarantee of better service unless it us fully understood by the party being paid above market that because of their higher rate the payer has more say in how things are done and that it will be far easier to be sacked if advantage is taken of the employer.

I had a boss once tell me that i was being paid higher than award and average for my good work, but, if my work went backwards that just made me easier to sack.

You have to take a fully professional approach to an employee once they begin being paid above and beyond the average. let them know they are doing a good job (if they are) if they aren't doing a good job on their higher wage...they need to know they are on thin ice.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

While we're on the subject here, what is the general consensus for the amount of total paid time off that employees should get? This would include holidays, vacation, sick, and personal. What I'm talking about an equal unit of paid time off for an equal unit of work. Meaning if they are just a morning only position, how many paid mornings off per year? Ditto for evening only workers.

My experience has shown me that there are some workers who are responsible with their obligations to caring for someone who is disabled and that a more flexible approach will suffice. However, there are others who in the absence of a defined number, will always take advantage of the situation and expect to be paid.

Now that I have changed my situation to have more help and requiring more money, I have less flexibility being generous with the everyday problems that occurr in people's lives. For every paid time off you give, it cost you double including the replacement backup, unless you have unpaid help such as parents, spouse, friends, etc.. However, living independently and alone without these options requires one to always have a backup and to budget in contingency financing in such regard.

I have been closely keeping track of all time off (paid and unpaid) for my four part-time employees for several years now and have an accurate number as to how much additional costs it is on a yearly and therefore monthly basis. This amount then needs to be added in too any budgeting process.

By law, in Canada, we have to pay 4% vacation pay, or 6% to any employee working 5 years or longer. That pretty much eliminates the need to do any additional math. We also require 6-weeks notice for when my staff book their holiday time.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    While we're on the subject here, what is the general consensus for the amount of total paid time off that employees should get? This would include holidays, vacation, sick, and personal. What I'm talking about an equal unit of paid time off for an equal unit of work. Meaning if they are just a morning only position, how many paid mornings off per year? Ditto for evening only workers.

My experience has shown me that there are some workers who are responsible with their obligations to caring for someone who is disabled and that a more flexible approach will suffice. However, there are others who in the absence of a defined number, will always take advantage of the situation and expect to be paid.

Now that I have changed my situation to have more help and requiring more money, I have less flexibility being generous with the everyday problems that occurr in people's lives. For every paid time off you give, it cost you double including the replacement backup, unless you have unpaid help such as parents, spouse, friends, etc.. However, living independently and alone without these options requires one to always have a backup and to budget in contingency financing in such regard.

I have been closely keeping track of all time off (paid and unpaid) for my four part-time employees for several years now and have an accurate number as to how much additional costs it is on a yearly and therefore monthly basis. This amount then needs to be added in too any budgeting process.
    When we have hourly workers, we don't give paid time off. With our current live in situation (he is the only caregiver besides me), we give 2 weeks a year paid time off.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

For my mother, we gave the live in a paid vacation like above annually. The part time people got paid a partial shift if they called in sick, and if I went up to stay for a family holiday and gave them time off when providing my mother's care myself, we also paid them a partial shift amount.

In CA, technically you can only have an employee work 6 days/week, but we did not go by that. All were private pay. We did not claim this expense on taxes so this was primarily under the table, although we did pay by check. We paid no benefits otherwise, and did no withholding (taxes, Social Security, Workers Comp, etc.), which was included in and explained in the interviews and in the contract. We spelled out that they were independent contractors. Most had another job already which provided them with benefits such as health insurance (including our live-in) or had them through a spouse.

(KLD)

Good question, personally i don't give paid sick days, i do try to give about 10 days paid/ year. Since I don't have real full time CPs it's never been a big issue.

I try to not rely upon friends and family for the day to day living stuff because it can get complicated. If such are around and don't mind helping in an emergency then for most things ok. I don't think I'd ask my kids for bowel care or dressing though. thankfully I've never had too.