Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pay your Caregiver?

Blog Entries

How much do you pay your Caregiver?

I have a great caregiver/biz employee that has been with us for almost 7 yrs. now. We have been payingher $15.50/hr. for about 1.5 yrs. and so she now wants a significant raise in order to stay. I definitely want to keep her because of her reliability and ethics but don't know how much higher we can afford to go with her wage.

How much do you pay?

BTW...We live in Orange County, CA and she works 25 hrs./wk.

Thanks for your .02!

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

I just hired a new part-time caregiver for $11 per hour to start. Considering that IHSS in San Diego County only pays around $9.something per hour, I couldn't afford to ever pay someone over $14. Anyone that has worked for me in the past has understood that, and there has never been a problem.

"Whom the gods will destroy, they first make ridiculous."

I am moving this over to the Caregiver forum and locking it here. You can find your message here.

(KLD)

i pay 20.00 a day usually 2 hr

live in middle ga

275.00 week plus room and board meidcare doesnt cover healthaides which sucks because ss says im no longer disabled and stopped my checks i'm going to have to move in with my mother who is elderly at this point i know someone who pays 100.00 a day in fl but they won a lawsuit

Blog Entries
    Current Caregivers...gow much do you make and what do you think of my situation? Should I keep increasing her wage?

PS

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

Most people I know who private pay for PCA care pay between $10-14 per hour. This is in Southern California. Some negotiate to pay by the job. I know one guy who pays a set amount for his AM care. If the PCA gets done early, then they get the same money as the PCA who is slow, but does the same care. Pros and cons of each way.

Of course if you are doing live-in, then the pay per hour is usually less as you are providing free board and room. This would also apply if you pay any transportation costs.

I assume you are not paying any benefits, SS or income taxes if you are paying $15.50/hour.

I wonder where else she would get someone to pay her more than you are paying now for non-skilled care?

(KLD)

My insurance gives me $295 cdn/ 14 days for my care. So I find a student or someone looking for part time work to come in 3x a week, usually 2-3 hours at a time. I've got two people on backup who I pay $50/ shift.

I just hired a new pca. She's an ex-girlfriend but I'm mature enough to deal with her on a strictly professional level. Besides, a competent pca is more valuable than a girlfriend.

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!

What does she mean by "a significant raise"? It is reasonable to give someone a raise of 3-4% every year for cost of living increases, this is what we do for our PCA. But anything beyond 3-4% is out of line unless she is taking on additional duties or there are extenuating circumstances of some sort (like you are underpaying compared to the market for PCAs in that area, which it certainly sounds like you are not).

To answer your question: we pay our PCA $9.50 an hour + he lives with us (rent free) + we pay all of his food and incidentals (toilet paper, deoderant, shampoo, etc, within reason). We also pay all taxes (state and federal). And, as I mentioned, we give him a riase of about 3-4% once a year. We also give him a Christmas bonus of about $500 cash every year as well in addition to a very nice gift.

I hope that you can find a good solution ... good PCAs are hard to find. Try having a non confrontational discussion about what is driving her need for more money and go from there. Maybe she has a temporary cash flow problem and you could work out a creative solution?

Ami (in NC)

Ny PCA's are paid through the state at $10.60 per hour. I give them each no more than 20 hours per week. This keeps people available for emergencies (they can fill in for each other). I am told by my workers, that they love the hours and the pay. They use this as a side job, or are students working their way through school. I am sorry she is demanding so much.