Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Titanium scuffs on the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by 9000ft View Post
    Anyone have a clever idea for removing the black scuffs that titanium leaves on the front edge of the toilet when you bump it in your chair?
    Wow. Your house must be way neater/cleaner than mine is.

C.

New house, new toilets, unimpressed wife pushes the "care meter" up. As a status report, I would have to say no single solution so far has been the magic fix. I tried barkeepers friend because we had that. It took some off but not all. I then got a pumice stone for cleaning porcelain and tried that. It also worked ok but with some major effort. I'm going to review the other suggestions and see what else is left but I will be approaching toilets a little more gently in the future to save the scrubbing hassle.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

I thought these were permanent marks. Glad I don't have to replace toilets. I was just going to post the question on how to prevent them and found this. Not sure I want to put duck tape on the toilets any other ideas on preventing these?

Just as a follow up. The bartender's Friend might have worked, eventually. The best method I found was the pumice stone which still takes some work.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

*thread resurrection*

another vote for Bar Keepers Friend cleanser (the scrubbing powder - not liquid). It shifted 12 years of aluminum/titanium scuff marks from the rim of the toilet, took a while doing a section at the time with a scrubbing cloth but the results are amazing. A small amount of cleanser removed about 98% of the marks making the toilet look a million times better - a very satisfying job and cheaper than a new bowl.

I ordered it from Amazon Germany but it’s all available from Amazon UK too for those of us in Europe.

https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Friend-Powdered-12-Ounces/dp/B000V72992

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bar-Keepers.../dp/B000QYLEBE

I just painted the toilet black
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 9000ft View Post
    Anyone have a clever idea for removing the black scuffs that titanium leaves on the front edge of the toilet when you bump it in your chair?
    As in medicine, well all things really, treat the cause not the symptom (result).

Can you put that clear plastic(?) stuff they use on bike tanks and such on the offending part of your chair?

Pumice stone! Used it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    As in medicine, well all things really, treat the cause not the symptom (result).

Can you put that clear plastic(?) stuff they use on bike tanks and such on the offending part of your chair?
    I now have handlebar tape on the part of my chair that was hitting the underside of the toilet, but did not know about pumice stone until I saw this thread. It will be useful in my kitchen sink, too. Comet was once the cleaner for such things because it had abrasive in it. No it is useless as it is made without the abrasive so people can use it on their vinyl showers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    This is easy to find online under the name "helicopter tape". I use it under the doors of my van, on the front of kitchen appliances, corners going into the elevator and on other furniture. It's pretty much invisible after application and works great. You could apply it either to the toilet or to the chair where it rubs against the toilet.